A Short History Of Philosophy (1922) by Alexander, A. B. D. [Philosophy]

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
LectorRecitator

Post by LectorRecitator » May 11th, 2019, 7:47 am

HISTORY OF PHILOSOPHY — 1/4

Preface

A restricted number of studies dealing with the history of philosophy as a whole, were published during the first quarter of the 20th century—as far as English bibliography is concerned. However, most of them went through minor or major revisions and were subsequently published during the late 20s or 30s. Therefore, I decided to exclude such studies and restrict myself in suggesting few titles that were not revised or altered—with the exception of the following study, which was revised for the last time in 1922.

Details

∙ Title: A Short History Of Philosophy
∙ Author: Alexander, Archibald Browning Drysdale (1855–1931)
∙ Publisher: Maclehose, Jackson and Company
∙ Date/Edition/Impression: © 1922/3d Edition, Revised and Enlarged

Description

A study examining the course of philosophy from Ancient times to the first quarter of the twentieth century.

"But with the exception of Lewes Biographical History a book which is now half a century old, and one written to discredit all philosophy and a small handbook in the Bohn edition which only came into my hands when my own book was completed I know of no purely British work which treats of the entire course of European speculation. Though I dare not flatter myself that I have succeeded in supplying the want, it seems to me that there is a need for such a volume. The true introduction to philosophy is its history. For students and those who are interested in the progress of thought it is desirable to have a book of orientation in which one may discover the standpoint and significance of a writer individually and in relation to his times. Such is the aim of this " Short history of philosophy. ""

(From Preface To The First Edition)

"If, in the past, the volume has proved in any measure helpful to students of philosophy and others interested in the historical development of thought, I may venture to hope that, in spite of its shortcomings, this " Short History " in its amended form may help to fill the gap which has previously existed in this country between the " Mere outline " and the more elaborate and exhaustive treatises of Continental origin."

(From Preface To The Third Edition)

Readability Information

615 pages, divided into 7 parts, each divided into numerous sections, in turn divided into numerous chapters, plus 6 pages of Introduction.
No illustrations in text.
Total: 621 Pages

Lector Recitator’s Readability Rating

Not in regards to Subject Matter or Overall Length, but Structure
(i.e., Division of written material into Chapters/Sections & Subchapters/Subsections and their individual length)

∙ 1/5: Laborious
∙ 2/5: Challenging
∙ 3/5: Readable
4/5: Quite Readable ◄
∙ 5/5: Exceedingly Readable

Links

https://archive.org/details/ashorthistoryofp00alexuoft/page/n5
«ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ»/"the unexamined life is not worth living"

(Plato, Apology: 38a. Translated by H. N. Fowler)