Book Wishlist

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
boxcartenant
Posts: 4
Joined: April 4th, 2016, 7:03 pm

Post by boxcartenant » April 3rd, 2019, 5:27 pm

You guys are the best! Here are some books I'd really like to listen to:

- Beware the Cat (the first English novel)
- Titanomachy (the epic poem)
- Lucan's Pharsalia

- Reformed Dogmatics by Herman Bavinck
- Calvin and Sadoleto's Letters
- Athenagoras's plea for the Christians
- The epistle of Barnabas
- Tertullian's Apology
- Tertullian's shorter works (including his works on prayer, patience, baptism, repentance, martyrdom, Marcion, hermogenes, valentinians, resurrection, praxeas, scorpions, monogamy, and his letter to his wife)
- Any/all the works of Bernard of Clairvaux (I see only like one sermon from him on Librivox. Would like more.)

Thanks so much!

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 48163
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » April 3rd, 2019, 5:49 pm

Beware the Cat (this edition published 1963, but it's on HathiTrust as full view, so it's PD): https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000359937

Pharsalia: in progress

Titanomachy apparently isn't available as a full text, only fragments. According to this website: https://www.theoi.com/Text/EpicCycle.html#Titanomachy the fragments are available in a book translated by Hugh Evelyn-White. Several scans are available on Archive. Here's one: https://archive.org/details/hesiodhomerichym1914hesi/page/n13

Haven't looked for your others (yet). It would help if you or someone else could provide links - preferably from gutenberg.org, archive.org, or hathitrust.org (full view).
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons

Elizabby
Posts: 9249
Joined: April 1st, 2011, 5:36 pm
Location: Kelsingra

Post by Elizabby » April 4th, 2019, 12:54 am

Bernard of Clairvaux works and sources:

https://www.ccel.org/ccel/bernard
https://www.ccel.org/ccel/bernard/letters.i.html (Letters, published 1904)
https://www.ccel.org/ccel/bernard/loving_god.html (On Loving God, can't find a publication date for this one)

https://archive.org/details/bernarddeclirvau00bernuoft/page/n4 (On Consideration, published 1908)
https://archive.org/details/treatiseofstber00bern/page/n8 (Concerning Grace and Free Will, published 1920)
https://archive.org/details/stbernardssermon02bern/page/n9 (Sermons on the Canticle of Canticles, published 1920)
https://archive.org/details/saintbernardlove00bernuoft/page/n6 (On the Love of God, published 1884) Only 11 chapters and an essay.
https://archive.org/details/sermonsofstberna00bernuoft/page/n2 (Sermons on Advent and Christmas, published 1909, 19 short chapters)

boxcartenant
Posts: 4
Joined: April 4th, 2016, 7:03 pm

Post by boxcartenant » April 4th, 2019, 2:54 pm

Yeah, I had only read about Titanomachy, and didn't know it didn't exist as a complete work. Thanks for that info :'(

But also you made a great point, that I should add some links to the other works. With the exception of Bavinck, I think all the other texts are readily available in English. Bavinck is sort of a recent translation from Dutch, I believe. (Come to think of it, I'm not even 100% sure that English Bavinck is public domain.... will research some more).

Here are some links to the other works:

Sadolet's Letter: http://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/sdg/calvin_sadolet.html
Calvin's Response: https://www.monergism.com/john-calvins-letter-cardinal-sadoleto-1539
(That response page also has a link to Sadolet's letter)

Athenagoras's Plea: http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0205.htm

Epistle of Barnabas: http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/barnabas-lightfoot.html

All the mentioned works of Tertullian are linked to on this site (you have to scroll down to find him): http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/index.html

And Thanks, Elizabby, for the links to Bernard. I've been trying to find the texts of those works for quite some time now. It would be really nice to have all these recorded.

Thanks again, everyone!

annise
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 33706
Joined: April 3rd, 2008, 3:55 am
Location: Melbourne,Australia

Post by annise » April 4th, 2019, 3:13 pm

It's nice to have links to book suggestions but they may not be usable for LV, they would need to be clearly PD, many texts available on the internet are not.

Anne

boxcartenant
Posts: 4
Joined: April 4th, 2016, 7:03 pm

Post by boxcartenant » April 4th, 2019, 5:15 pm

Good point, Anne,

I'm learning as I go, here. Based on the date of publication, the original texts of all of these should be PD, but the translations might not be.

On the assumption that Gutenberg, archive, and hathitrust exclusively host PD work, I found the following items:

Epistle of Barnabas: http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/6513/pg6513-images.html
Calvin and Sadoleto: https://archive.org/details/reformationdebat00calv
Athenagoras's Plea for Christians (and also another work by Athenagoras that I would like to read): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015008596432;view=1up;seq=8
Tertullian's works, in a collection (includes most of the works I mentioned on my wishlist): https://archive.org/details/tertullian00tertgoog/page/n10
Another Tertullian (all the Tertullian stuff is good): https://archive.org/details/tertullianconcer00tertuoft

This version of Tertullian's Apology also includes, in the second half, the "Meditations of the Emperor Marcus Aurelius Antoninus", which I am here adding to my wishlist: https://archive.org/details/apologyoftertull00tertrich/page/n5

annise
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 33706
Joined: April 3rd, 2008, 3:55 am
Location: Melbourne,Australia

Post by annise » April 4th, 2019, 5:31 pm

:thumbs:
The host exclusively bit isn't quite right but almost for PG , there are a few non PD texts , you can check the bibrec tag on the main page if any doubt.
Haithi trust does restrict viewing for anything it has doubts about - for example there are many there that I can't see any text. So it does host them , just doesn't let everyone look at them :D

Anne

dronald
Posts: 70
Joined: July 7th, 2020, 7:54 pm

Post by dronald » November 10th, 2020, 7:03 pm

boxcartenant wrote:
April 4th, 2019, 5:15 pm
Tertullian's works, in a collection (includes most of the works I mentioned on my wishlist): https://archive.org/details/tertullian00tertgoog/page/n10
I think I may try my hand at this one. I have memories looking for Tertullian's works on YouTube almost a decade ago and it seems no one has gotten around to him yet anywhere! Is this version I've quoted acceptable? I only want to do the Apology followed by the preface. I see a publication date but no copyright date, which is what is apparently needed to launch a work? This would be my first time going solo.

I've read the guides but if there's anything else I may need to know before I start recording alone for my first time then I would be grateful!

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 48163
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » November 10th, 2020, 7:09 pm

The publication date works just fine, especially in a case like this when it's so long before the 1924 cutoff date for being automatically Public Domain. :)

I'm not sure what you know, so I don't know what to tell you that you need to know. ;) Read the "Want to Start a Solo Recording?" post at the top of the New Projects Launch Pad. From there you should get the info you need. You can always post any questions that arise.
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons

dronald
Posts: 70
Joined: July 7th, 2020, 7:54 pm

Post by dronald » November 10th, 2020, 7:14 pm

TriciaG wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 7:09 pm
The publication date works just fine, especially in a case like this when it's so long before the 1924 cutoff date for being automatically Public Domain. :)

I'm not sure what you know, so I don't know what to tell you that you need to know. ;) Read the "Want to Start a Solo Recording?" post at the top of the New Projects Launch Pad. From there you should get the info you need. You can always post any questions that arise.
"9. Additional information about the Work
Copyright year of the edition to be used for the recording: Enter the copyright date of the text to be provided to readers. This is not the original date of publication."

Sorry that I'm missing something here but I only see publication date and not copyright date. Based on these instructions I'm reading, what would I place in this section?

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 6702
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » November 10th, 2020, 8:14 pm

dronald wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 7:14 pm
TriciaG wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 7:09 pm
The publication date works just fine, especially in a case like this when it's so long before the 1924 cutoff date for being automatically Public Domain. :)

I'm not sure what you know, so I don't know what to tell you that you need to know. ;) Read the "Want to Start a Solo Recording?" post at the top of the New Projects Launch Pad. From there you should get the info you need. You can always post any questions that arise.
"9. Additional information about the Work
Copyright year of the edition to be used for the recording: Enter the copyright date of the text to be provided to readers. This is not the original date of publication."

Sorry that I'm missing something here but I only see publication date and not copyright date. Based on these instructions I'm reading, what would I place in this section?
I think the key word in the portion that you've quoted is the word original (emphasised above) For instance, if you want to read Alice in Wonderland, the original date of publication was 1865. But if the copy you're reading from was published in 1902, you'd enter 1902. Does that make sense?

EDIT: So, for the book you've linked above, you'll enter 1842. It is the publication date AND the copyright date of this edition, regardless of whether there were earlier or later editions.

dronald
Posts: 70
Joined: July 7th, 2020, 7:54 pm

Post by dronald » November 11th, 2020, 6:18 pm

mightyfelix wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 8:14 pm
dronald wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 7:14 pm
TriciaG wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 7:09 pm
The publication date works just fine, especially in a case like this when it's so long before the 1924 cutoff date for being automatically Public Domain. :)

I'm not sure what you know, so I don't know what to tell you that you need to know. ;) Read the "Want to Start a Solo Recording?" post at the top of the New Projects Launch Pad. From there you should get the info you need. You can always post any questions that arise.
"9. Additional information about the Work
Copyright year of the edition to be used for the recording: Enter the copyright date of the text to be provided to readers. This is not the original date of publication."

Sorry that I'm missing something here but I only see publication date and not copyright date. Based on these instructions I'm reading, what would I place in this section?
I think the key word in the portion that you've quoted is the word original (emphasised above) For instance, if you want to read Alice in Wonderland, the original date of publication was 1865. But if the copy you're reading from was published in 1902, you'd enter 1902. Does that make sense?

EDIT: So, for the book you've linked above, you'll enter 1842. It is the publication date AND the copyright date of this edition, regardless of whether there were earlier or later editions.
Wonderful, thanks.

One last thing. Are we allowed to skip the footnotes? I would rather just read the original text without stopping for all of the references.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 48163
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » November 11th, 2020, 6:20 pm

Yes - footnotes aren't considered part of the main body of text, so they can be omitted.
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons

InTheDesert
Posts: 169
Joined: August 20th, 2019, 8:25 pm

Post by InTheDesert » November 12th, 2020, 12:57 am

dronald wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 7:03 pm

I think I may try my hand at this one. I have memories looking for Tertullian's works on YouTube almost a decade ago and it seems no one has gotten around to him yet anywhere! Is this version I've quoted acceptable? I only want to do the Apology followed by the preface. I see a publication date but no copyright date, which is what is apparently needed to launch a work? This would be my first time going solo.

I've read the guides but if there's anything else I may need to know before I start recording alone for my first time then I would be grateful!
These are on my list too - in fact I just recorded To Scapula. Would you consider creating an Early Church collection (or even a Tertullian Collection along the lines of this viewtopic.php?f=9&t=83341) where we can combine various short works? I'm happy to PL your ones.

dronald
Posts: 70
Joined: July 7th, 2020, 7:54 pm

Post by dronald » November 12th, 2020, 5:35 am

InTheDesert wrote:
November 12th, 2020, 12:57 am
dronald wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 7:03 pm

I think I may try my hand at this one. I have memories looking for Tertullian's works on YouTube almost a decade ago and it seems no one has gotten around to him yet anywhere! Is this version I've quoted acceptable? I only want to do the Apology followed by the preface. I see a publication date but no copyright date, which is what is apparently needed to launch a work? This would be my first time going solo.

I've read the guides but if there's anything else I may need to know before I start recording alone for my first time then I would be grateful!
These are on my list too - in fact I just recorded To Scapula. Would you consider creating an Early Church collection (or even a Tertullian Collection along the lines of this viewtopic.php?f=9&t=83341) where we can combine various short works? I'm happy to PL your ones.
That's a wonderful idea and I would love to work on that with you. I think we would have to identify some of his shorter works given that he has quite a few works that are quite long. Maybe we should compile a list? It's great that you've also had Tertullian in mind.

I do want to get started on his apology though and I'm going to set it up today and work on the preface.

Post Reply