Ancient Poems, Ballads, and Songs of the Peasantry of England

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » February 12th, 2019, 12:48 am

This traditional, and, for the most part, unprinted literature,—cherished in remote villages, resisting everywhere the invasion of modern namby-pamby verse and jaunty melody, and possessing, in an historical point of view, especial value as a faithful record of the feeling, usages, and modes of life of the rural population,—had been almost wholly passed over amongst the antiquarian revivals which constitute one of the distinguishing features of the present age. While attention was successfully drawn to other forms of our early poetry, this peasant minstrelsy was scarcely touched, and might be considered unexplored ground. There was great difficulty in collecting materials which lay scattered so widely, and which could be procured in their genuine simplicity only from the people amongst whom they originated, and with whom they are as ‘familiar as household words.’
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/649

Very interesting collection of folks poems and ballads. This would make a great group project.

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » February 16th, 2019, 6:04 pm

Great suggestion! Posted it in the Launch Pad (will be my first BC project :D <smile>). Looks interesting!
Campbell

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » February 16th, 2019, 11:50 pm

Great! I hope you have fun with it. I just read The Berkshire Lady's Garland for the short poetry collection (which is how I found this volume), so I'll leave that one for another reader, but I'll probably pick up a few others. :D