The Ethics Of Feminism (1923) by Wadia, Ardeshir Ruttonji [Sociology]

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
LectorRecitator

Post by LectorRecitator »

Details

∙ Title: The Ethics Of Feminism, A Study Of The Revolt Of Woman
∙ Author: Wadia, Ardeshir Ruttonji (1888–1971), Professor of Philosophy, University of Mysore
∙ Publisher: George Allen & Unwin
∙ Date/Edition/Impression: © 1923

Description

Written as a reply to a series of articles, Wadia addreses contemporary issues regarding the consolidation and course of feminism, while examining different aspects of social institutions, folkways and cultural activity, across eras and nations, in regards to women's position.

"A FEW years ago there appeared in the columns of a popular Bombay journal, edited by Miss B. L. Palamkote, a series of articles from the pen of a talented lady graduate. They breathed the usual spirit of feminism, and when I happened to express to the editress my dissent from some of the views of the writer, she prevailed upon me to write a reply. I contributed some articles under the pseudonym of “ A Conservative Liberal.” I gathered that my reply was read with great interest, and the editress was requested by many to reprint it. I was unwilling to permit this, as I felt that my reply itself was essentially fragmentary and somewhat uncritical. But its success led me to believe that there is room for a work which would give a general survey of feminism in a critical and constructive spirit.
Feminist literature in recent years has become very vast, but most of it is confined to an exposition or criticism of particular phases of feminism. I think there is room for a work which seeks to study the foundations and take stock of the effects of feminism, and this is the only justification I can plead for venturing to write this book. I cannot pretend to have written anything strikingly original, and nowhere is mere originality more dangerous than in the realm of sex. I can but say what an author, from whom I have learned more than words can tell. Dr. Bernard Bosanquet, has said in the preface to his What Religion Is: “I have nothing to say that has not been said by thousands of better men, but every crisis has its own demand for the right question and the right answer.” Feminism has succeeded so far, but its success has within it seeds of future disruption. A free and open critique of it may at least serve to prevent a premature fossilisation of immature feminist ideals.
I have done what I could. But I know my work is far from being perfect. I am fully conscious of defects. Many of them I have tried to overcome, and some I have been loath to overcome."

(From Preface)

Readability Information

235 pages divided into 19 chapters of short and moderate length, plus 2 pages of Preface. No illustrations in text.
Total: 237 Pages

Lector Recitator’s Readability Rating

Not in regards to Subject Matter or Overall Length, but Structure
(i.e., Division of written material into Chapters/Sections & Subchapters/Subsections and their individual length)

∙ 1/5: Laborious
∙ 2/5: Challenging
∙ 3/5: Readable
4/5: Quite Readable ←
∙ 5/5: Exceedingly Readable

Links

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.200426/page/n5
Last edited by LectorRecitator on January 18th, 2019, 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Having had a quick look at this book, I think it will struggle to find readers.

The problem is that people who are interested in feminism (which was my interest in it) will probably object to most of the tone and content of the book. For example comments such as "Feminism in its earlier stages had right on its side... [but now] nothing to replace the old order but empty visions and impossible ideals." And "...the accompanying depreciation of the family."

I think feminist thought has moved on quite a lot since this was written, and many people these days (and I suspect nearly all the women) would decline to read this sort of opinion, especially written by a man from almost 100 years ago. For example the "oh no, think of the children" trope is pretty tired, and blaming feminism for the falling fertility rate has been discussed to death (IMHO). As for the "sanctity of home life with its welcome labours and attendant comforts" as opposed to the awful fate of eating in restaurants - well, that was clearly written by a man with a wife at home who likes it that way! :roll:

The very fact that 9 of the 19 chapters are on the topic of "Marriage and Motherhood" makes it suspect - I think modern women will not be interested in reading/listening to this. e.g. "The Failure of Marriage" and "Damaged Goods"! :shock: "An unwillingness to marry is a direct rebellion against society" - oh, please. I find his arguments that feminism is to blame for prostitution laughable "there are a certain number of women for whom no husbands are available, hence their erotic needs goad them on to prostitution" :shock: :lol: Seriously, I can't imagine many people could read that with a straight face!

The overall conclusion is: we have studied the evolution of feminism and some of the evils with which it has inundated the world. When really, the right of women is "The right to place her womanhood at the service of humanity", by which of course, he means men and male children, as female children should be brought up in "the primary virtues of women: chastity and self-abnegation". And of course let's not forget she "has an intrinsic right to (a portion of) the earnings of her husband". :roll: This is clearly because "woman's life revolves round her sexual function" (he means bearing children) "It constitutes the beginning and culmination of her existence."

Noooo, I don't think I'll be BCing this book, nor reading for it either. This might have been publishable in 1923, but IMO it can happily stay on the shelf in 1923 and let feminist thought keep moving past it!