Some more obscure 1923 Books (List)

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

WiltedScribe wrote: January 4th, 2019, 10:01 pm One thing's for sure: a collaborative version would work better than a solo. I'd feel kinda uneasy as a white man reading an entire text so seminal to African-American literature. As a collaborative venture, there's a chance we can attract readers of all races to help out. That would be fairer.
Absolutely! I feel the same about the 20th Century Negro Literature project I'm running now.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

mightyfelix wrote: January 5th, 2019, 10:59 am
WiltedScribe wrote: January 4th, 2019, 10:01 pm One thing's for sure: a collaborative version would work better than a solo. I'd feel kinda uneasy as a white man reading an entire text so seminal to African-American literature. As a collaborative venture, there's a chance we can attract readers of all races to help out. That would be fairer.
Absolutely! I feel the same about the 20th Century Negro Literature project I'm running now.
Ditto.

But if you need any help with this project (whether it's editing the drama sections or reading a chapter or two), just let me know.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thanks, Chuck! :) Actually, I could use a favor right now. I'd find it easier to begin planning out the project if I had a PDF version to work with. I remember you said once that you had permission on HathiTrust to do that. If possible, could you PM me a PDF copy whenever it's convenient?
Tomas Peter
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I had come across this book a couple of years ago and was disappointed to find it was published in 1923. Thanks for reminding me that it is now PD! :D

Poison mysteries in history, romance and crime
by C.J.S. (Charles John Samuel) Thompson, 1862-1943
https://archive.org/details/poisonmysteriesi00thomuoft/page/n7
Jo
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

OK, so with regards to Cane, what I would do is launch a separate project for "Kabnis," which closes the book. It would be moved to Dramatic Works and completed there as a series of one-act plays corresponding to the story-play's six parts. I may end up preparing color-coded Google Docs to make it easier to read from. And then, once those are finished, they'd be added to the regular Cane project.

With that in mind, I will slowly begin preparing...
Tomas Peter
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

ChuckW wrote: January 5th, 2019, 8:11 am - Black Oxen by Gertrude Atherton
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/25542
Black oxen is already in the catalog https://librivox.org/black-oxen-by-gertrude-atherton/ :thumbs:
Carolin
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

WiltedScribe wrote: January 5th, 2019, 8:14 pm OK, so with regards to Cane, what I would do is launch a separate project for "Kabnis," which closes the book. It would be moved to Dramatic Works and completed there as a series of one-act plays corresponding to the story-play's six parts. I may end up preparing color-coded Google Docs to make it easier to read from. And then, once those are finished, they'd be added to the regular Cane project.

With that in mind, I will slowly begin preparing...
In the past, I think we've had some folks launch the dramatic sections as a separate project. Just provide a link to the drama sections in the main project page and manage the two parts as discreet projects (that, of course, you combine together once all the dramatic parts are recorded and edited together).
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Carolin wrote: January 6th, 2019, 2:07 am
ChuckW wrote: January 5th, 2019, 8:11 am - Black Oxen by Gertrude Atherton
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/25542
Black oxen is already in the catalog https://librivox.org/black-oxen-by-gertrude-atherton/ :thumbs:
How did I miss this? I feel like a dunce.
PROJECTS
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Happy New Year!
I would love to work on this project: Recollections of Imperial Russia. I'd do it as a solo work. It looks interesting, and I'm happy to have the opportunity to use a female voice (mine--lol) to record the words of a female author. :-)
Jan
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Great! Set it up in the Launch Pad just like any other solo. ;)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Thanks. I will do so this weekend.
Jan
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

A couple more of these have been launched! :D
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

Here's another one, for better or for worse: A History of California: the Spanish Period, by Charles Edward Chapman

https://archive.org/details/historyofcalifor00chapuoft/page/n11 [COMPLETE]

I think (hope) I've started the project correctly in the Launch Pad. Should be fun!

Steve Seitel
...and then I thought: "Oh, what the Heck? Why not?..." —W.O.B.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Wow - you're really going at these! 8-)
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

TriciaG wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 4:16 pm Wow - you're really going at these! 8-)
:lol: And here I am again, only two years later. I'm surprised no one has already adopted The Last Secrets, by John Buchan. Should be fun!

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=87945&p=1915453#p1915453

Steve
...and then I thought: "Oh, what the Heck? Why not?..." —W.O.B.