The Story Of The World (1910) by O'Neill, Elizabeth Speakman [World History]

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
LectorRecitator

Post by LectorRecitator » November 25th, 2018, 3:24 pm

WORLD HISTORY BIBLIOGRAPHY – 6/10

Details

∙ Title: The Story Of The World. A Simple History For Boys And Girls
∙ Author/Editor: O'Neill, Elizabeth Speakman (1877–1951), Formerly University Fellow & Jones Fellow of the University of Manchester
∙ Publisher: G. P. Putnam's Sons
∙ Date/Edition/Impression: 1910

Description

A brief survey of world history, from prehistoric times to the last quarter of the nineteenth century. Addressing children, it is stylistically similar to Niver's A Brief History of the World, however more detailed and therefore expanded.

"I could not tell you all the things which have ever happened in the world, but I have tried to tell you shortly about all the most
important things from the very beginning, even before people had come into the World at all, right down to our own wonderful times. I have chosen the greatest men and women to tell you about, and in reading their stories I hope you will understand better something of what the times were like in which they lived, and what the other people too were like who were not so great and the kind of lives they led."

(From Dedicatory Letter)

Readability Information

540 pages divided into 48 brief chapters, in turn divided into numerous subchapters. 2 pages of a Dedicatory Letter in the beginning.
Numerous illustrations & maps in text, significantly reducing overall length.
Total: No more than 490 Pages (Personal estimation based on riffling, referring strictly to legible material)

(Suitable for Group Recording, as well as for Solo)

Lector Recitator’s Readability Rating

Not in regards to Subject Matter or Overall Length, but Structure
(i.e., Division of written material into Chapters/Sections & Subchapters/Subsections and their individual length.)

∙ 1/5: Laborious
∙ 2/5: Challenging
∙ 3/5: Readable
∙ 4/5: Quite Readable
5/5: Exceedingly Readable ←

Links

https://archive.org/details/storyofworldsimp00onei/page/n7
«ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ»/"the unexamined life is not worth living"

(Plato, Apology: 38a. Translated by H. N. Fowler)