1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

TriciaG wrote:Or whatever accent a reader who wants to read it happens to have. LOL!
Indeed! Just pointing out that Americans or other rhotic speakers should be proud of their pronunciation of historical works such as this, because they have an historically more conservative pronunciation of English (much more conservative than the prototypical posh English accent). "Shakespeare in Love" and, indeed, any movies about the Tudors or Elizabethan age which have actors with posh English accents are very historically inaccurate. ;)
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

"The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens."
- Baha'u'llah
See: http://bahai.org/

Some Answered Questions.
The Promulgation of Universal Peace, Vol. I.
An Elementary Greek Grammar.
von

Post by von »

Nicholas19 wrote:
TriciaG wrote:Or whatever accent a reader who wants to read it happens to have. LOL!
Indeed! Just pointing out that Americans or other rhotic speakers should be proud of their pronunciation of historical works such as this, because they have an historically more conservative pronunciation of English (much more conservative than the prototypical posh English accent). "Shakespeare in Love" and, indeed, any movies about the Tudors or Elizabethan age which have actors with posh English accents are very historically inaccurate. ;)
Historically inaccurate, but Americans swoon over them :)
Please use PM for contacting me even when I have just posted something in the forum. I don't read forum posts, generally. Thx.

Alleluia! the salvation, and the glory, and the honour, and the power, is to the Lord our God
English Andrew

Post by English Andrew »

Is this Confession the version that calls the Pope "that anti-Christ"?
stacyhildebrand

Post by stacyhildebrand »

I would like to record the 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith. It doesn't appear to be in the catalog. The Westminster confession is here, but not the London. Wanted to check and see if anyone was already working on it or not before I get going.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Not that I'm aware of. Do you have a link to the text that we could double check?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

P.S. This one looks usable: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/anonymous/bcf
About the Electronic Text

This electronic version of the 1677/89 London Baptist Confession of Faith has been transcribed from a microfilm copy of an original 1677 Confession. All the old english and even misspelled words have been retainined in an attempt to produce a near facimile to the original text. Although the Confession was published in 1677, it was done so anonymously due to the persecution of the times. It was not until 1689, after the “Glorious Revolution” under William and Mary of Orange that this Confession was published with the names of the subscribers and the churches they represented attached and has become known as the 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith or the Second London Baptist Confession of Faith. (See also the sections on Origins of the Confession and the Historical and Theological background of the Confession for more details).
Be sure to do your 1-minute test, and it's recommended to do a section or two in a group project to get your feet wet and to figure out how things work around here before starting in on a solo. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart