An essay on the history and reality of apparitions by Daniel Defoe

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

https://archive.org/details/b30530155
An essay on the history and reality of apparitions. Being an account of what they are, and what they are not; whence they come, and whence they come not. As also how we may distinguish between the apparitions of good and evil spirits and how we ought to behave to them. With a great variety of surprizing and diverting examples, never publish'd before
by Defoe, Daniel, 1661?-1731

This would be highly interesting, but the text is a 1727 print and sort of difficult to read if you arent used to it.
Carolin
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I keep thinking that, rather than just gulping down and regurgitating PD texts in various ebook editions to cash in, there is a genuine market for someone willing to edit pre-19th century PD texts while fixing the archaic spellings and especially the F's for S's to make them more readable to moderns, and THEN putting them out as ebooks on Amazon or elsewhere. That would be a genuine service.
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

You get used to the long s and odd spelling after a page or two. A lot of people just dont give it a chance :)
Carolin
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Exactly -- that's why modernized editions would sell :lol:
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It helps if you make an effort to think of them as a different s, which is what they are rather than an f which they aren't I found. It's interesting that in handwriting they persisted so long in double s - my ancestor was still signing his name (long s small s) in the 1880s .

Anne