History of the Wars by Procopius, translated by H.B. Dewing

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
DismountedCentaur

Post by DismountedCentaur »

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on narrating Procopius' History of the Wars, sometimes known as "The Wars of Justinian", as translated by H.B. Dewing in 1914. I'm an admin on a large Facebook group ("Roman and Byzantine History") and three other people have volunteered, since I suggested the idea nineteen hours ago. I think this could be a fantastic oppurtunity to produce a free audiobook for one of the most important historical works of Late Antiquity.

Books 1 and 2: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/16764/16764-h/16764-h.htm
Books 3 and 4: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/16765/16765-h/16765-h.htm
Books 5 and 6: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/20298/20298-h/20298-h.htm

Books 7 and 8 appear to have been released at a much later date and so aren't public domain yet, however, each is a stand-alone piece of work, which I think should be released as such, and so missing the final two is a shame, but not of huge significance.

Who's interested?
DismountedCentaur

History of the Wars, Book I, by Procopius of Caesarea, Translated by H. B. Dewing. Translated by Henry Bronson Dewing

Procopius was assigned to be the legal-secretary to the famous Belisarius by the Emperor Justinian. Belisarius was the most important general in both Justinian's Roman/Byzantine wars of reconquest and his wars against the Persians/Sassanids and Procopius, as an educated eye-witness, wrote extensively about the Wars, basing it on both his own experiences, testimonies, and official documents. Accordingly, the Wars form perhaps the most important history of Late Antiquity.
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!) [remove citation numbers though!]: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/16764/16764-h/16764-h.htm
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Claimed: Chapters 1-5 by Philip Binns, 13-18 by Chris LM
      Unclaimed: 6-12 (one segment for someone?),19-30

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: translatedtext

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: uj2s5IGj
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Procopius of Caesarea) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procopius
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procopius#The_Wars_of_Justinian
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: Not sure
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known): c. 551
      • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Philip Binns Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
      ============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History ; *Non-fiction/History /Middle Ages/Middle History

Keywords that describe the book: history, Roman, byzantine, late antiquity, procopius of caesarea, justinian, theodora, belisarius, history of the wars, the wars of justinian

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "History of the Wars, Book I, by Procopius of Caesarea. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "History of the Wars, Book I, by Procopius of Caesarea, Translated by H. B. Dewing. [Chapter Number]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of History of the Wars, Book I, by Procopius, Translated by H. B. Dewing, by Procopius of Caesarea. Translated by Henry Bronson Dewing (2 - 5)"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      historyofthewarsbookibyprocopiustranslatedbyhbdewing_##_ofcaesarea_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. historyofthewarsbookibyprocopiustranslatedbyhbdewing_01_ofcaesarea_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Artist: Procopius of Caesarea
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: History of the Wars, Book I, by Procopius, Translated by H. B. Dewing

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: yy - yyyyy
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by DismountedCentaur on October 11th, 2018, 11:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DismountedCentaur

A few things to note. I haven't put sections in, as I would prefer not to be prescriptive. A longer stint of narration is preferred for obvious reasons. Book One is divided into thirty chapters so there are obvious break points.

Don't read out the citation numbers!

I'll start this evening and see how far I get and then update the post with reasonable breaks. Depends on who's interested.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hi!

I don't think anyone has set this up for you yet because you're a brand new LibriVoxer. Coordinating a group project takes a lot of commitment and knowledge of how LibriVox works - both from a nuts-and-bolts angle with the Magic Window and technical specs of files, and from a policy/people angle with what is acceptable and what isn't.

Please read these two items in the wiki:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Tips_for_Book_Coordinators
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=BC_Readiness_Quiz

Do you think you're ready to coordinate a group project?

P.S. You as book coordinator WILL need to specify sections - where each file will start and end. If not, you'll have utter chaos. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
DismountedCentaur

Hmm, possibly not.

How would I go about acquiring a book coordinator, if not?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Posting in Book Suggestions - it doesn't guarantee you a book coordinator, but it's where books are suggested and where BCs look for ideas.

I'll move this over there.

Hopefully you'll stick around. Maybe you'll get the experience to BC this yourself in a couple months or so, if no one else takes it up. ;)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
mattbenzing

Post by mattbenzing »

I for one would love to contribute to this if it ever goes live.
DismountedCentaur

Noted.

I need to mull over how to proceed with this, if at all.