The Golden Bough by James Frazer, 12 volume set

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
niobium

Post by niobium »

I noticed the golden bough abridged edition has already been published through here, but has anyone else considered going over the 12 volume version excluding the bibliography? I was thinking someone get a group together for maybe 1 volume each unless there is someone who thinks they can handle the work over 2 or 3 years. I suppose one audiobook per volume published separately would be reasonable, but it would be much easier to get others to help instead of having a dead end in the archive
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You wouldn't need to "get a group". My experience with multi volume works is that a BC sets up volume 1 , various people claim and read it then when it at least is fully subscribed volume 2 is set up. There will be people who enjoyed reading vol 1 and /or would like to see the rest in the catalogue will claim some/most of it , etc.
So the "group" will form without commitment and in the end it will all be catalogued,

Anne
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Can you provide a link to an online text? That will make it easier for prospective BCs to take a look and see if it's something they'd like to take on. Of course, I could go search for one myself, but you haven't yet convinced me that it's worth my while. :wink:
niobium

Post by niobium »

Ive made a start and am close to halfway through the first volume by unedited first recording, but I can tell im going to be taking a few years to clear this one from my table if working alone.

have I convinced you yet? :wink:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I am convinced that 1 day someone will see it as their life project but it will probably not be because they want to finish it, it will probably be because they feel the abridged version is inadequate. But who really knows? The abridged one we have is almost 43 hours of listening which is about 150- 200 hours of recording and 50 hours of proof listening so it was quite a commitment in itself :D

Anne