Demian by Hermann Hesse

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
timbuterbaugh

Post by timbuterbaugh » July 11th, 2018, 10:36 am

This book (Demian) is available through Project Gutenberg and shows that it is in the public domain in USA. However, the version they have is in German.

Can someone chime in on whether the English translation would also be in the public domain based on this information? Or how I could find a definitive answer on this?

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I'm brand new to LibriVox. Hesse is my favorite author and I would love to be a part of bringing his works to audiobook.

Tim

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » July 11th, 2018, 11:30 am

hi tim, welcome to librivox!

you have a good taste in favourites :) sadly, we have to wait a bit before we can record this work. the original demian (1919) is in the public domain in the united states, but not yet in europe (hesse wont be in the public domain until 2033). so even if we find a german speaker who can record it for us, the majority of potential listeners cant listen.

the english translation was published in 1923 according to wikipedia, so if copyright law doesnt change unexpectedly, you can start recording it in january :D

in the meantime, have a look around the forum, im sure you will find other authors you like to pass the time until demian becomes public domain!