In Connection With The De Willoughby Claim by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

When Mark Twain meets Frances Hodgson Burnett in a novel about antebellum south, the result is more wonderful than you think. The De Willoughbys are the most "aristocratic" family in Tennessee. When Tom, one of the sons, is too fat, he is exiled from the family estate. Believe it or not... He moves to North Carolina where no one knows him and opens a shop. He adopts a baby whose parentage is unknown. After the civil war, the Willoughbys need to reclaim their land from the government in Washington DC. So Tom's help is needed. His nephew, Rupert, falls in love with his adopted daughter. And I won't tell you the rest. You will need to read it for yourselves.
I will be honest with you: I was about to bc this book myself. However, most of the dialect is written in the authentic dialect of the era, which I am not sure I know well enough. I was afraid I would not be able to assist readers if they encounter any problem with it. So do take this project only if you feel confident about the dialect. You can count me in as dpl. Here is a link to the etext:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/25810
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/25810
In Connection with the De Willoughby Claim by Frances Hodgson Burnett

I did not think we had any fhb books unrecorded :lol:

This is not a childrens book. It centers around the de willoughby family, the most powerful family in tennessee before the war, and one of their sons, tom. A stranger arrives in town, keeping to himself very carefully, and his wife evidently does not wish the townsfolk to see her face, though it is evident to those who do see her that she is not from around there.
Carolin