A General History of the Pyrates, by Daniel Defoe

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
esnyder

Post by esnyder » May 11th, 2018, 8:56 pm

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/40580

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_General_History_of_the_Pyrates

As far as I can tell, this is in the public domain and I can find no mention of it here on the forums or already posted on the main site.

Though somewhat long and including some archaic terms (nautical and otherwise), this is actually a fairly interesting read for those interested in piracy and/or nautical/maritime history. Though we cannot assume all accounts to be without rumour, innuendo, and embellishment, it's a fascinating study of some of the infamous real pirates, (likely) written by a celebrated author during a time when the real pirates of the Caribbean were still active.

If this is something possible to add, I'd like to do eventually after I complete a few shorter projects. Please let me know any input or if there's something I missed as far as this not being an option for public domain.

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » May 12th, 2018, 12:26 am

Yes, you're right, it isn't in the catalogue yet. Looks like a great addition! It is definitely public domain, because it was published way back in 1724. Anything 1922 or older is fair game according to US copyright law. (Although, if you're not in the US, you'll have to follow your own country's copyright laws as well, which are almost assuredly different.) Either way, you're good here. This one is PD everywhere. Also, anything that is available on Gutenberg is public domain in the US. We trust them to do their research if it's not a clear-cut case like this one.

You're looking at 16 chapters, plus a preface and an introduction here. Chapters range from about 1200 words to over 10,000. The longer chapters may need to be broken up into parts, so they won't be too long. There are a few charts, which sometimes present a difficulty. You'll need to decide how to read them, or whether to just skip them, depending on the kind of information that's contained. There are definitely a few challenges involved with this book, but it looks like a great choice! And, to be honest, it's shorter than my first solo was! :lol:

I think it's wise, as you already said, to get some experience with shorter things before you tackle this, to be sure it's something you really want to take on. Start with your one-minute test, then you can choose something that interests you from the current open projects. Good luck, and welcome! :thumbs:
Devorah Allen

Journal of Francis Asbury Traveling preacher, America
The Crook in the Lot Faith in the midst of trials
20th C. Negro Lit. Essays on African American issues
Faces in the Fire Essays on Faith

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » May 12th, 2018, 12:30 am

Nope, I'm wrong! It is in the catalogue, but under Captain Charles Johnson, not under Defoe's name:

https://librivox.org/author/1394

Still, you're more than welcome to record it, if you like. It's always good to have more than one reader tackle a work, to give variety! :D
Devorah Allen

Journal of Francis Asbury Traveling preacher, America
The Crook in the Lot Faith in the midst of trials
20th C. Negro Lit. Essays on African American issues
Faces in the Fire Essays on Faith

Walnut

Post by Walnut » May 18th, 2018, 10:11 am

Hi-
If you are still interested in this project, I would definitely be willing to record some chapters. I will keep an eye out for when this appears in Readers Wanted.
I try to avoid voice cracks in my recordings.
To PLers- please correct sloppy pronunciation or weird slurring :/