A Landslide of Classic Art Is About to Enter the Public Domain

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj » April 29th, 2018, 6:53 pm

The first new works to enter the US public domain in many years will appear January 1, 2019, seven months from now. The Atlantic has an article about it, "A Landslide of Classic Art Is About to Enter the Public Domain" at https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/04/copywritten-so-dont-copy-me/557420/. New grist for the LibriVox mill! :D

Winston
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » April 30th, 2018, 1:00 am

seven months to go. No need to get excited just yet. Laws can be changed quickly if needs be.
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

Inspired by LibriVox: The 8 Views of Lake Biwa

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » April 30th, 2018, 1:07 am

I'm also hopeful "they" won't notice and it will just happen without fanfare before "they" do

Anne

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » April 30th, 2018, 3:38 am

Still believing in fairytales too? :lol:
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

Inspired by LibriVox: The 8 Views of Lake Biwa

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » April 30th, 2018, 3:58 am

And the tooth fairy .. my granddaughter has just lost her first tooth :D

ColleenMc

Post by ColleenMc » May 1st, 2018, 7:39 am

I’m super excited about this!
I am optimistic that it may slide past—they were able to get bipartisan consensus on copyright extensions in 1998 and compared to the oil/gas, banking, and tech lobbbies, publishers and even entertainment conglomerates have less clout.

I think this matters in terms of US copyright anyway because I think the current Congress kind of blew it out on the tax bill in terms of legislation and we are in the stretch where little or nothing gets done because elections are not too far off and everyone starts focusing on it, especially this year when everyone who wants to stay is going to be running hard for their seats.

And in terms of doing things back door through regulations not passed by Congress, they are too busy using this literally once in a lifetime opportunity to run wild through departments like the EPA and Education that are usually more sacrosanct than to bother with small potatoes like this that they could conceivably go back and deal with later because it’s the kind of thing that can be done in even a more normal environment...

Anyway I choose to believe it will happen and am thrilled. Aside from all the 1923 (and after) masterpieces we can get our mitts and mikes on soon, there is all the thrilling flotsam and jetsam below the top layer.

I’ve been a Gutenberg addict for a long time (Gutenberg led me here initially) and even before I worked up my nerve to start recording several months ago, I had been following the forums here and making a list of Gutenberg stuff I’d like to record or work on recording some day. (It’s probably already longer than anything I can get to in this lifetime).

But y’all! I used to be scared of the Internet Archive and shy away from any book linked there rather than Gutenberg. I’ve finlly figured out how to download books there and wrangle them onto my Kindle app for recording.

And now I browse all over the Archive for fun as I still do with Gutenberg but holy cow! There is so much more there. I have entire volumes of old periodicals downloaded to page through at my leisure. There is so much out there pre 1922 to explore still, and just the thought of another 12 months’ worth of newspapers and periodicals popping up in January is thrilling, even aside from all the books.

And I’m itching to play with the detective pulps, which are just over the horizon hitting their golden age starting in the mid to late 1920s! I may pop!

Okay, deep breaths and back to playing with the marvels already in the sandbox...

k5hsj

Post by k5hsj » July 12th, 2018, 12:06 pm

Here are a couple of lists of works published in 1923--the clock is ticking. :D Finding digitized copies online may be challenging at first, but they should be available eventually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1923_in_literature#New_books
https://www.goodreads.com/book/popular_by_date/1923

Winston
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock

ColleenMc

Post by ColleenMc » July 15th, 2018, 12:05 am

Wow! Georgette Heyer! Robert Frost! Emily of New Moon! Agatha Christie!

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » July 15th, 2018, 4:43 pm

Please don't get excited over Agatha Christie. She died in 1977, and her estate has argued that we can NOT have any audio books produced from her US-PD books. The argument is that since Hugh, our exalted founder, is Canadian, and Canada is a death +50 country, LibriVox is violating copyright law...in Canada. We did have one book recorded, but it was pulled from the catalog and safely tucked away until 2027, when her estate threatened. This issue comes up quite often because, well, this is Agatha Christie! I would LOVE to listen to an Agatha Christie book given the LV treatment! But, I am patient!

ETA: I am wrong in two points, Agatha Christie died in 1976, and we have both of her US PD books recorded. All other info is correct.
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

michaelwy

Post by michaelwy » July 16th, 2018, 6:57 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_in_public_domain#Entering_the_public_domain_in_countries_with_life_+_70_years

This one is intersting, although the most noticeable are DW Griffith and Eisenstein. They might have interesting biographies. The list also includes a guy who wrote biographies of Goethe, Napoleon, Cleopatra and Bismark https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emil_Ludwig

The next one, next year, is even more remarkable

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_in_public_domain#Entering_the_public_domain_in_countries_with_life_+_70_years

Because the 2020 list includes two nobel price winners. Maurice Meaterlink and Sigrid Undseth. I am especially looking forward to Undseth, who wrote some wonderful stories from the middle ages.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » July 16th, 2018, 7:46 pm

Those lists are no use to LV however , USA is not a life + 70 country

Anne

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » July 19th, 2018, 12:37 am

they are of use to all european volunteers at librivox. we will be able to record these authors' pre-1923 books.
Carolin

Let me know if you are looking for a book suggestion for your next solo project!

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » July 19th, 2018, 12:38 am

michaelwy wrote:
July 16th, 2018, 6:57 pm
The next one, next year, is even more remarkable

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_in_public_domain#Entering_the_public_domain_in_countries_with_life_+_70_years

Because the 2020 list includes two nobel price winners. Maurice Meaterlink and Sigrid Undseth. I am especially looking forward to Undseth, who wrote some wonderful stories from the middle ages.
ive had my eye on maeterlink ever since i first started at librivox. he seemed soooooo far out of reach :lol:
Carolin

Let me know if you are looking for a book suggestion for your next solo project!

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » July 19th, 2018, 6:08 am

Carolin wrote:
July 19th, 2018, 12:37 am
they are of use to all european volunteers at librivox. we will be able to record these authors' pre-1923 books.
they could all have been recorded by North American readers any time - not by you and I I agree, and next year will be pre 1924 books

n

Leni

Post by Leni » October 20th, 2018, 2:21 pm

78 days to go now :shock:

I am wondering how fast before we have The Prophet in the launchpad. And I suppose the first Weekly Poetry of 2019 could very well be one of the newly available Robert Frost poems. And.... and... and... :mrgreen:
Leni
=================

Anyone care for a loaf of bread? :mrgreen: