Samuel L Brengle books - new source in first post!

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

elsieselwyn wrote: April 28th, 2019, 9:03 pm
mightyfelix wrote: April 28th, 2019, 4:06 pm https://www.worldcat.org/title/love-slaves/oclc/814423571?referer=di&ht=edition&fbclid=IwAR0BtqsZpPbkY5fvK_b3EZGtS85mV6OmAUt2KWC18lmh97R67b7zrcTKHas

I'm thinking of writing to some of these universities in the list, who have the 1923 edition, and asking if they have an electronic format, or would be willing to scan the book and make the scan available. I'm not sure what kind of a reception I'd get to such a request, though. I do have a friend who works at a university library (not one of these), and I've asked her advice on how to phrase my request.
Hi! So I'm a undergraduate student at a state school in Ohio so I can request books through OhioLINK, a system of interlibrary loan among Ohio universities for students. I looked through OhioLINK and there is an edition of Love-Slaves published in 1923. I requested it and it should be mailed to the nearest library near me (I don't know how long it would take, but it should be fairly efficient ~a couple weeks most likely). I can then scan it (or maybe just take pictures of the pages if it’s very fragile so I don’t damage it while scanning) and upload the images wherever you want me to. Would that work? It would save you the trouble of writing to other libraries.
That would be wonderful! Just know that you're in for a lot of work. :wink: Taking pictures of each page is less work than scanning, and not as hard on the book, but you'll have to have a steady hand. It's harder to get a crisp, clear image that way. What we'd need are individual images of each page (rather than the double page spread). Then you'll put all the images (in order, of course) into a PDF document and upload that document to archive.org. If you need help getting the proper format, I might be able to help with that, but that's downstream a ways.

If you're still willing to try, I'm sure we'd all be very grateful! Let us know how things go.

(I just thought of it, but the library where you pick up the book may have a machine or something designed for taking pictures or scanning books, without too much damage. You might ask them about it.)
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

I’m still willing to try! I’ll keep you all updated :D
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

That would be amazing! There are no copies in the same country with me!
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

Congratulations on finishing the "Holiness" series, everyone! I have loved seeing Brengle's writings periodically appear on LibriVox, and it has been an honour to create album covers for them. I am very glad to read in this thread that you are hoping to add more Brengle books to LibriVox, and I wish you the greatest success in doing so.

I haven't read this whole thread, so you may already be aware of this resource, but if you are looking for more scans of books by Brengle, the Salvation Army International Heritage Centre (https://www.salvationarmy.org.uk/international-heritage-centre) may be able to send you some (heritage@salvationarmy.org.uk). They have copies of many of Brengle's books, including "Resurrection Life and Power", "Ancient Prophets", and "The Guest of the Soul". You can search their catalogue here: http://www.calmview.eu/SalvationArmy/CalmView/
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Salvationist wrote: May 3rd, 2019, 6:15 pm Congratulations on finishing the "Holiness" series, everyone! I have loved seeing Brengle's writings periodically appear on LibriVox, and it has been an honour to create album covers for them. I am very glad to read in this thread that you are hoping to add more Brengle books to LibriVox, and I wish you the greatest success in doing so.

I haven't read this whole thread, so you may already be aware of this resource, but if you are looking for more scans of books by Brengle, the Salvation Army International Heritage Centre (https://www.salvationarmy.org.uk/international-heritage-centre) may be able to send you some (heritage@salvationarmy.org.uk). They have copies of many of Brengle's books, including "Resurrection Life and Power", "Ancient Prophets", and "The Guest of the Soul". You can search their catalogue here: http://www.calmview.eu/SalvationArmy/CalmView/
:shock: I, for one, was not aware of that resource! It looks like they might have exactly what we need in their catalogue already! I'm on my mobile right now, though, so I can't view it. I'll check it out later. Thanks for pointing us to it! :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Actually, I don't seem able to access anything from my home computer in that catalogue either. :hmm: Maybe I just don't understand how their catalogue works, but it seems that I can only see the entries for the items they have without actually being able to access or download any of them. I've tried it in a couple of different browsers. Is anyone else having any luck?

http://www.calmview.eu/SalvationArmy/CalmView/Record.aspx

EDIT: Wait, I think it's because their catalogue isn't digitized. :( From the home page:
We are open from Tuesday - Friday 9.30am - 4.00pm

Admission to our reading room and museum is free.

If you would like to view items from our library or archive collection, please contact us to make an appointment.

William Booth College is opposite Denmark Hill rail station. Bus routes 40, 176, 185 and 484 stop outside the College.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Agreed - it looks like their collection is paper, not online. Not sure if they would be prepared to scan any of it, or let a visitor scan it.
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

I used to work at a library run by The Salvation Army, and they were willing to scan books and send them to us, but that may have been because the books were remaining within the organization. Still, it may be worth asking them about it.
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yes, it couldn't hurt to ask. They may be willing, especially if we explained what we're trying to do. I'm willing to go ahead and send them an email, if you like.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Sure - if they can scan a PDF or even upload to Archive it would be more generally accessible.
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Hello, everyone! So the book came in and I took pictures of all the pages. I uploaded them as images in a pdf onto archive.org. Here is the url: https://archive.org/details/LoveSlaves_20190507
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Brilliant work! Thanks so much Elsie!

I might wait until Fruits of the Spirit is fully claimed before launching this one though, as I think there will be significant overlap in the interested readers.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Love Slaves is now launched! See the blue link in my signature file!