Latin Vulgate Bible

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
mbsb101

Post by mbsb101 »

if there are Latin scholars among you, a Latin/English recording of the Old and New Testaments. ASAP, Please. LibraVox is amazing
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving this to Book Suggestions. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
yezbick

Post by yezbick »

Ahoy there! I'm a Latin scholar, and just joined Librivox TODAY :D , I've been reading the Vulgate and thinking a librivox recording would be great. I'd love to do it as my first major reading... Ecclesiastes is my jam these days.

2 questions:

:?: Is there any way we could do a version that interleaved the Latin with the King James Version? Like, do a paragraph in Latin, then the same paragraph in English? This might garner a larger listenership. (My family likes to go sentence by sentence around the holidays reading the new testament: Koine Greek, Vulgate Latin, KJV English... the effect is quite delightful)

:?: What pronunciation would we use? Restored or Ecclesiastical?? Could be totally nerding out by even asking this, but, hey, I'm new, right?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome! I think we encountered each other in your test thread. 8-)

Hmmm. If you could find a text that has the two translations side by side or interwoven, then you could definitely do it. But I would think that taking two texts and interweaving them oneself is crossing too far over "recording public domain books" (OK) into "making our own text" (not OK). :hmm: I could ask the other admins what they think, but I'm pretty sure we'd all have a similar view on it.

As for pronunciation, I have no idea. That's way too far over my head. LOL!
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

What TRicia said is absolutely true. But surely the Vulgate is availble in many translations and some side by side Latin/English. Were you thinking of the entire Bible? Old and New Testaments? Or just parts.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just a thought inerleaving audifiles would make comparing the audio more difficult wouldn't it - or so it seems to me . If you wanted to compare say a sentence, you would have to fast forward then fast backward . I'd have thought having a latin one in one project and an English one in another would let you read one , pause , listen to the other, pause then return to the latin ?

Anne