Tanakh (Jewish Bible)

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

We've already got the Torah, so I was thinking it would be good to record something new - how about Isaiah or Job? Those are the two I'm most familiar with from my own studies, or we could start with something shorter like Daniel or Hosea just to check out the format.
linny

Post by linny »

shushudolphin wrote: April 18th, 2018, 3:04 pm I could mention in the reading when the parashah changes.
Please be careful with this idea. If it isn’t contained in the text or as a footnote I don’t believe it’s LV policy to add it.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Wow guys! This project is way over my head now!

The basic goal of Librivox as I understand it (I'm a relative newbie) is to create public domain audio versions of public domain books (largely those published before 1923). When I suggested the project I had nothing more in mind than to work toward creating a complete audio version of the Jewish Publication Society 1917 Tanakh in English, as only the first five books had been done, and there are a variety of audio editions of the Christian Bible and the Christian and/or Catholic Old Testaments, but no complete "Jewish Bible" in English.

I would still like to participate in that original conception of the project if it goes forward. In the initial discussion it seemed like the best way forward was to do each book as an individual project, either as a group or solo project, with a long term goal of having all the 1917 JPS English Tanakh available.

Doing the complete Tanakh in Hebrew would be a comparable sized project with a much smaller potential pool of volunteers since I imagine relatively few LIbrivox folks can read Hebrew.

The Pentateuch has already been recorded in English (the 1917 JPS version again) but I'm not sure if it is in Hebrew. And people who know a lot more than me about standards for how Librivox works are recorded would have to weigh in on dividing it into chapters vs. parshiot. Since the Hebrew Torah is pretty much automatically in the public domain (I think?), at least in terms of the text without footnotes or anything a particular published edition would supply, an entirely separate project of the Torah read in Hebrew by parshah might be a project that could be done here, but on the other hand, there are plenty of free recordings of the Torah parshiot available on the internet already.

If I'm giving any incorrect info in this post, I appreciate in advance any of the more experienced Librivox hands who correct or clarify what I've said!
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
linny

Post by linny »

Nevi'im has been started here with Joshua: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=70055

English JPS version.

Please note this reading is word perfect.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Cool! Thanks for the heads up!
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
linny

Post by linny »

Joshua went quickly! Judges is now open. :D viewtopic.php?f=28&t=70521