Equality by Charles Dudley Warner 1829-1900

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
soupy

Post by soupy »

Equality by Charles Dudley Warner

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3118

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Dudley_Warner

In accordance with the advice of Diogenes of Apollonia in the beginning of his treatise on Natural Philosophy—"It appears to me to be well for every one who commences any sort of philosophical treatise to lay down some undeniable principle to start with"—we offer this:

All men are created unequal.

It would be a most interesting study to trace the growth in the world of the doctrine of "equality." That is not the purpose of this essay, any further than is necessary for definition. We use the term in its popular sense, in the meaning, somewhat vague, it is true, which it has had since the middle of the eighteenth century. In the popular apprehension it is apt to be confounded with uniformity; and this not without reason, since in many applications of the theory the tendency is to produce likeness or uniformity. Nature, with equal laws, tends always to diversity; and doubtless the just notion of equality in human affairs consists with unlikeness. Our purpose is to note some of the tendencies of the dogma as it is at present understood by a considerable portion of mankind.

------------------------------

Charles was a good thinker.

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

8200 words, or about 55 minutes of finished recording. Would just fit in the Short Nonfiction Collection.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine