The Philosophy of Fine Art, Hegel's Aesthetik - Hegel

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
RepublicOfVermont
Location: δtsopiaV0175 (ψ-accessible only), μultiverse ΚΣΔ π^-.9

Post by RepublicOfVermont »

Author: Hegel, Georg Wilhelm Friedrich, 1770-1831

Translator: Osmaston, Francis Plumptre Beresford

Title: The Philosophy of Fine Art, Hegel's Aesthetik

*Note*: all 4 volumes are PD; listing each as separate postings would be too space consuming for this forum, I feel. So Instead I've listed each below.

Edit: Addition of links to all four volumes follows -

Vol 1 https://www.gutenberg.org/files/55334/55334-h/55334-h.htm

Vol 2 https://www.gutenberg.org/files/55445/55445-h/55445-h.htm

Vol 3 https://www.gutenberg.org/files/55623/55623-h/55623-h.htm

Vol 4 https://www.gutenberg.org/files/55731/55731-h/55731-h.htm
SmurfmanSassafras

Post by SmurfmanSassafras »

I'd really like to claim this. At least the first volume.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Volume 1 is about 150,000 words, or about 16-17 hours of finished recording. That's a monster for a first-time soloist. :shock: The recording and editing could take up to about 85 hours (estimating about 5x the recording time for the initial recording and editing).

I'd highly recommend first doing a couple/few sections in group projects first before starting to eat this elephant. In my experience, a ballpark estimate of 95% of brand new readers who start with a solo end up quitting before finishing. Please test the waters first before jumping in. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
SmurfmanSassafras

Post by SmurfmanSassafras »

TriciaG wrote: February 8th, 2018, 4:10 pm Volume 1 is about 150,000 words, or about 16-17 hours of finished recording. That's a monster for a first-time soloist. :shock: The recording and editing could take up to about 85 hours (estimating about 5x the recording time for the initial recording and editing).

I'd highly recommend first doing a couple/few sections in group projects first before starting to eat this elephant. In my experience, a ballpark estimate of 95% of brand new readers who start with a solo end up quitting before finishing. Please test the waters first before jumping in. :)
Hi Tricia!
I understand your concern 100%! I'm not without my own concern, as it a very dense work, which is why I've done 1hr30m worth of recording from the introduction, to see if I'm comfortable enough with the text. I have a few concerns about the foreign names, as well as some Latin within the text. However, from what I've read of the first volume, there aren't too many instances thereof, and so I feel comfortable making the attempt.

Last year I recorded War and Peace (Maude Translation), The Brothers Karamazov (Pevear and Volokhonsky), and Swann's Way (Moncrieff), all for personal use (I sent the recordings to my mother), so I have at least that experience. I dont have the files on hand to give you the exact amount of time of recording it took, but I can tell you it was pretty long!! They are among the most beneficial readings I've done of those works, though, and I very much look forward to studying this work with as much attention as it took to get through Proust, Tolstoy, and Dostoevsky.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You definitely have more experience than the average bear. :lol:

To start a new project, go to the New Projects Launch Pad and click on the stickied topic, "Want to start a solo recording?" That has all the info you need (and some you personally probably don't) for how to post a new solo project. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart