My Disillusionment in Russia by Emma Goldman

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
RepublicOfVermont
Location: δtsopiaV0175 (ψ-accessible only), μultiverse ΚΣΔ π^-.9

Post by RepublicOfVermont »

What exactly is accepted as proof, if I may ask? Also, upon seeing who initially brought up the subject, I can openly say that it is he, Expatriate, who I had in mind as the reader. Perhaps he’d be interested in reading “My Further Disillusionment in Russia” initially and then we can all wait, if no proof can be found, until 2019. I wrongly assumed that since Microsoft sponsored the scanning of “My Disillusionment in Russia” that it must be PD since they’d not, as a corporation, risk violating copyright for reasons of publicity.
WHITE PHOSPHORUS was dropped on Palestine tonight.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

They are scanning things for libraries , not for the general public , same as Archive. The library will have it's own rules for who can use it , and they respect copyright. I don't know much about the author except that the USA deported them I think , if the second book was written earlier it would be possible that there is an earlier publication of this one , but unless it has a scan with a visible date of 1922 or earlier we can't use it unless it has cleared by PG. We are not going to knowingly go against USA copyright laws, there are lots of other books.
And as a personal comment , readers are free to chose their own book to read , that's why we get great readings from people reading books they love.

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Having done some more research the 1st book was published in 1923 and the second in 1924 . It appears she wrote articles for "The New York World" which were collected for these books, so it is possible if you could find copies of the papers dated 1922 or earlier they could be read.

Anne
RepublicOfVermont

And as a personal comment , readers are free to chose their own book to read , that's why we get great readings from people reading books they love.
Yes, I know. Though it was actually Expatriate who initially wanted to read it. What I was attempting to communicate was that initially I did not wish to say who I believed would be perfect as the reader. Then after the merging of the threads I saw that it was he. So then I felt comfortable for obvious reasons in mentioning him. My apologies if I’ve broken some unspoken rule.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

My comment was more to other forum browsers - I answer the email "help line" and from time to time get requests to tell reader ____ to read ____ either because we haven't it in the catalogue or because they don't like the reader. The forums are read by more than members.

I looked at the 2nd book intro and evidently the publisher of the first was unaware there were more articles, the paper only sold them the rights to a part of the story. Hence the second book

Anne
RepublicOfVermont

From the Emma Goldman Papers Project:

Emma Goldman's literary heir is her nephew, Ian Baliantine, of Bearsville, N.Y. [c/o Peacock Press, A Division of Bantam Books, Inc., Bearsville, New York 12409]. Mr. Baliantine has graciously granted the Emma Goldman Papers Project permission to reproduce all of Goldman's writings. Although he assured us that “aunt Emma did not believe in restrictions of any sort,” it is advisable for those who wish to publish material from the collection to secure formal written permission from Mr. Baliantine.

Would attaining permission from her nephew be of help, and, if so, would anyone who represents Librivox in an official capacity be willing to write & mail the letter?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

RepublicOfVermont wrote:From the Emma Goldman Papers Project:

Emma Goldman's literary heir is her nephew, Ian Baliantine, of Bearsville, N.Y. [c/o Peacock Press, A Division of Bantam Books, Inc., Bearsville, New York 12409]. Mr. Baliantine has graciously granted the Emma Goldman Papers Project permission to reproduce all of Goldman's writings. Although he assured us that “aunt Emma did not believe in restrictions of any sort,” it is advisable for those who wish to publish material from the collection to secure formal written permission from Mr. Baliantine.

Would attaining permission from her nephew be of help, and, if so, would anyone who represents Librivox in an official capacity be willing to write & mail the letter?
No, that wouldn't be of any help, because we release the recordings into the PD, so anyone can do anything with the recordings that we make without asking anyone's permission. Our permission wouldn't extend any further.

He'd have to release the texts into the PD himself, which I cannot imagine he'd do, as it would be relinquishing ALL rights to them.

The way to go about getting copyright clearance on this (making sure it's out of copyright) would be to get copyright clearance through Project Gutenberg. Info is here: http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenberg:Copyright_How-To and it would fall under Rule 6. It's a lot of work. (And since their copyright clearance process is for texts FOR PG, it would be common courtesy to do this with the intention of submitting the text to PG for others to share.)

Basically, it's a lot of work to prove non-renewal, and not a lot of people want to make the effort to do it. It might just be best to wait the 1.5 years and start the project in 2019. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Expatriate

Post by Expatriate »

Just touching base after a long time, I see more replies to this thread than I realized there were. I appreciate all the input. Back when I posted the topic, 2019 seemed impossibly far away, a remote and hazy year of the distant future. Yet here it is. I think that it is literally (and I mean LITERALLY) true that the older you get the faster Time goes (I don't know how that squares with the principles of physics).

Thanks to RepublicOfVermont for your kind vote of confidence. When I saw your first note that you had a particular reader in mind, I was a little miffed in spite of myself, because it seemed clearly not to be me. But you later clarified. Hopefully I will get a chance to do this recording before too long.