My Disillusionment in Russia by Emma Goldman

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Expatriate

Post by Expatriate »

[MERGED TWO THREADS TOGETHER - tg]

Can anyone tell me how I can confirm whether or not Emma Goldman's My Disillusionment in Russia is OK to record for LibriVox? It was published in 1923 by Doubleday.

https://archive.org/details/mydisillusionmen012228mbp
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's a post 1922 publication published in the USA so we would need a clearance from Project Guterberg to host it. Have you checked if it is on PG - that's probably your first step

Anne
Expatriate

Post by Expatriate »

It's not on Project Gutenberg. Found it on Internet Archive. Is that bad news?

Thanks for responding... :o)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Yes - anyone can upload anything to Archive and give it any copyright status they like. They don't do routine copyright checking.
Next steps are difficult and involve you collecting a lot of information and submitting it to PG - and then waiting for them to review it.

Anne
Expatriate

Post by Expatriate »

Thanks, Anne...

Wayne...
ZamesCurran

Post by ZamesCurran »

Emma Goldman died May 14, 1940, meaning we reach the "Life + 75 years" limit in two months. It "should" be PD then.
Truth,
James
---------------------
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

In the US, copyright is more complicated than Life + x years, unfortunately.

As our servers are located in the US, we have to adhere to their copyright.

Edit: Besides, copyright always lasts until the end of the xth year after death, so we'd be talking about 1st of Jan. 2016 in any case.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

ZamesCurran wrote:Emma Goldman died May 14, 1940, meaning we reach the "Life + 75 years" limit in two months. It "should" be PD then.
works only enter the public domain in europe on the first of january of any given year.

i dont know which country has 75 years pma though, europe has 70 years pma, so you could record this book for legamus if you are in europe.
Carolin
ZamesCurran

Post by ZamesCurran »

Carolin wrote:i dont know which country has 75 years pma though, europe has 70 years pma,
You're right. I was confusing the 70 year pma with the 75 years for corporate works.

So, after brushing up on my copyright right terms, it would seem the Goldman's book, having been originally subjected to a copyright that had a fixed term that was not affected by the length of her life, it is now subject to the "corporate work" term of 75 years (extended to 95 years) from publication, making it PD in 2019.
Truth,
James
---------------------
Expatriate

Post by Expatriate »

Bummer. So I'll wait four years....

Actually, I have to read it now for other reasons, so I'll record it and save it for four years.... :P

Thanks for all of your input...

Wayne...
RepublicOfVermont
Location: δtsopiaV0175 (ψ-accessible only), μultiverse ΚΣΔ π^-.9

Post by RepublicOfVermont »

This book is in the Public Domain, though Gutenberg unfortunately does not have it. Here is one source of many at Archive.org - https://archive.org/details/mydisillusionmen00golduoft . I offer myself as the DPL for anyone who may be interested in reading this for Librivox. I already have a certain person in mind who I believe would be a perfect fit as the solo reader, though for reasons of civility I will not say who they are. I do, however, have a feeling that if they see this they will be quite interested.
WHITE PHOSPHORUS was dropped on Palestine tonight.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Published in 1923. It is also on HathiTrust here: https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/001606315

So yes, I believe it's PD. (Just because someone uploads it to Archive and says they couldn't find copyright renewal doesn't make it true. We trust two entities for copyright checks: Gutenberg and HathiTrust.)

Hathi's view is only limited for me, possibly because I'm not in the USA.

Interestingly, her "Further disillusionment in Russia" has a full view: https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/001604963
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Merged two threads together.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
RepublicOfVermont
Location: δtsopiaV0175 (ψ-accessible only), μultiverse ΚΣΔ π^-.9

Post by RepublicOfVermont »

Thank-you for bringing attention to Hathi Trust. I’ve the same limited view of the first of the two works to be published, and I am in the U.S., though it may be odd offering Further Disillusionment on Librivox before offering Disillusionment. Though Disillusionment is PD, despite its being in Limbo on Hathi.
WHITE PHOSPHORUS was dropped on Palestine tonight.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

If it's only on limited view for you then it's unlikely to be PD in the USA - it's hard for Tricia and me to really check because we do not get the USA view. So I think what I said higher in this thread will still apply - either try to clear it through PG or wait till 1st Jan 2019 or offer proof it is PD

Anne