* Login   * Register
It is currently December 12th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Post Posted:: August 24th, 2017, 2:27 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

this just out on gutenberg

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/55387
One Hundred Proofs that the Earth is Not a Globe by William Boyd Carpenter

they are serious: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Rowbotham

Looking for amazing poetry? Check out the poetry of Thomas Hood and Ben King!

Post Posted:: August 24th, 2017, 9:09 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

I was thinking this one would be so much fun, but then I read this.

Quote:
40. The Suez Canal, which joins the Red Sea with the Mediterranean, is about one hundred miles long; it forms a straight and level surface of water from one end to the other; and no “allowance” for any supposed “curvature” was made in its construction. It is a clear proof that the Earth is not a globe.

Now I am just confused. :?

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

Post Posted:: August 24th, 2017, 9:31 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Gravity is why the water stays in the canal and that points to the centre of the earth - everywhere it's trying to get down there
If you listen to the Building of the Suez canal you'll find one of the anti arguements was that the water level in the Mediterranean was different from that in the Arabian Sea . If that were true there would need to be a big step somewhere in the ocean around the Cape of Good Hope and you'd think over the centuries someone would have noticed?
And when the canal was built all the water would have rushed from one sea to another . The tides may make temporary differences .
His mother should have let him play in the sand building moats and things so he knew about water :D

Anne

Post Posted:: August 25th, 2017, 1:57 am 

The wikipedia entry on the author is interesting:

Quote:
Before his execution, Rowbotham lamented to one of his four surviving children that he felt he had squandered his life and "shepherded good people astray from God", by essentially teaching a false religion of a flat-earth, and selling remedies for real illnesses that he knew to be fake.

Peter

Post Posted:: August 25th, 2017, 2:10 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

You can still read it Peter - we'll just classify it as "Humour". :mrgreen:

--
AvailleAudio.com NEW DESIGN!

Post Posted:: August 25th, 2017, 5:51 am 

I think I'd find it too irritating, given my scientific background. I did actually encounter someone who believed that the world was flat, a long, long time ago ... and the Flat Earth Society still has an active membership.

Peter

Post Posted:: August 25th, 2017, 7:49 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

I understand what you mean. :roll:
I never mastered the "oh, how interesting!" kind of retreat myself when people start telling me BS. At least, when you tell them "I think you're an idiot", they will most likely never bother you again...

--
AvailleAudio.com NEW DESIGN!

Post Posted:: August 26th, 2017, 6:59 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Just to clarify, the Wikipedia entry i linked to isn't for the author but for their religious leader. That Wikipedia page does have a little mention of the author

Quote:
In the United States, Rowbotham's ideas were taken up by the Christian Catholic Apostolic Church and promoted widely on their radio station. His work in the United States was continued by William Carpenter. Carpenter, a printer originally from Greenwich, England, a supporter of Rowbotham and published Theoretical Astronomy Examined and Exposed — Proving the Earth not a Globe in eight parts from 1864 under the name Common Sense. He later emigrated to Baltimore where he published A hundred proofs the Earth is not a Globe in 1885.

Thank you :)

Looking for amazing poetry? Check out the poetry of Thomas Hood and Ben King!

Post Posted:: August 26th, 2017, 9:51 am 

Thanks, Carolin, a slip-shod reading of the wikipedia entry on my part. Rowbotham's life was the more interesting!

Peter