LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently December 14th, 2017, 11:47 am

Post Posted:: July 17th, 2017, 12:11 pm 

I would like to record this as my first project. It is fairly short and because it was originally published in 1917, I believe that it is now in the public domain. Crowley did add a comment to it in 1925, which I would also like to include. He died on 1/12/1947, so the 70 year anniversary of that is coming up in December of this year. I can wait until then to record that portion if it is not in the PD yet. I would love some consultation on this matter.

I don't have my equipment yet, it is on order. I just wanted to check on make sure this was a project I could move forward with.

Post Posted:: July 17th, 2017, 3:30 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi there and welcome! :D

Yes, if the book was published in 1917, it is public domain in the US.
However, it is unlikely that the added comment from 1925 is public domain as well, we would need extra proof of that.

You can definitely read the original - if you can find an online text of that time, it would be best - but you must leave out the 1925 comment.

The 70 years cutoff is not important for copyright in the US, it is, however, if you live elsewhere. We do want you to obey the copyright in your own country as well, of course!

--
AvailleAudio.com NEW DESIGN!

Post Posted:: July 17th, 2017, 5:02 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

I haven't been able to find a verifiable PD text online. Gutenberg doesn't have it. Hathitrust has a 1957 edition, limited view only. Archive has a couple texts with no visible copyright year (they're not scans).

Post Posted:: July 27th, 2017, 2:08 pm 

So the edition that I have actually seems to have a history of publishing editions in the back that I was looking through this morning. This is pretty confusing stuff.

It was originally written in Cairo, on April 8th, 9th, and 10th of 1904. It was then evidently published in a private printing in 1909 and then again in 1917 and 1925. There was a public publishing of the text in England in 1938. It was first published in the US in 1942, but that edition listed the copyright date as 1938.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but seeing as the original author was English, and it was originally published in England, wouldn't UK copyright law prevail? Or is it a deference to whichever copyright law is more restrictive?

It looks like I may need to look around for a different project. Hum drum, disappointment.

Post Posted:: July 27th, 2017, 2:11 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Furcas wrote:
So the edition that I have actually seems to have a history of publishing editions in the back that I was looking through this morning. This is pretty confusing stuff.

It was originally written in Cairo, on April 8th, 9th, and 10th of 1904. It was then evidently published in a private printing in 1909 and then again in 1917 and 1925. There was a public publishing of the text in England in 1938. It was first published in the US in 1942, but that edition listed the copyright date as 1938.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but seeing as the original author was English, and it was originally published in England, wouldn't UK copyright law prevail? Or is it a deference to whichever copyright law is more restrictive?

It looks like I may need to look around for a different project. Hum drum, disappointment.

Since the servers we use to store the audios are in the US, we use US copyright law. Plus, depending on where you're located, you have to follow the copyright law of wherever you're residing.

Post Posted:: July 27th, 2017, 4:01 pm 

Understood, I wouldn't want to run afoul of the law. I'll keep looking around.