Curiosities of Impecuniosity by H. G. Somerville

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » July 17th, 2017, 1:59 am

Curiosities of Impecuniosity by H. G. Somerville

It is customary for the proprietor when starting a newspaper or periodical to issue a notice to the public explaining—or purporting to explain—the raison d’être of the new venture, which notices, with very trifling exceptions, are to the effect that the projected journal “will supply a want long felt.”

I might, in sending forth the following pages, state something similar with perfect truth, since if the little work be as successful as (I say it with all modesty) it ought to be, it will unquestionably supply a want long felt—by the author.

It is frequently averred nowadays that much that is written bears evidence of being of a non-practical character, and under these circumstances, I felt I should take a pardonable pride in being able to point to one volume in the English language to which this stigma could not be applied; for I flatter myself the subject of Impecuniosity is one with which I have long—too long—been practically familiar.

H. G. Somerville.

Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind. Henry James

Post by Elizabby » July 17th, 2017, 3:13 am

LOL! This sounds hilarious! I'd read for this!
Dram Read: Story of the Amulet by E Nesbit
Play: The Mikado - 2 male chorus parts open!
Books: Captain Salt in Oz Heart Talks on Holiness - NEW!

FULL: W&D Canterbury Tales Christ's Parables Wishing Horse