Novels by Émile Zola  

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

The Mysteries of Marseilles By Émile Zola
[COMPLETE]
"Les Mystères de Marseille recounts the love of Philippe Cayol, poor, untitled, republican, and of young Blanche de Cazalis, the niece of De Cazalis, a millionaire,
politician and all-powerful in Marseilles. Philippe's brother, Marius devotes himself to protecting the two lovers – and the child Blanche gave birth to
before entering a convent – from the anger of De Cazalis."
This sounds like a good book, one which is surtenly worth a librivox recording. However, I can't find an online etext for it. The book has been translated to english by Edward Vizetelly. The translation has been published in 1895, but I have not been able to find the translater's date of death. Would you like to record this book?
Stav.   
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

The Mysteries of Marseilles By Émile Zola 1840-1902
Translated by Ernest Alfred Vizetelly, 1853-1922
Published 1895

On the Internet Archive at http://www.archive.org/details/mysteriesofmarse00zolaiala

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Hey Stav

If you decide to go for this one, I can help you BC.
Hope everything is well for you! :mrgreen:
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hay Nadine,
I will gladly bc this project with you. However, there is a book by Zola in readers wanted and we will need to wait until it goes to reader's found before starting this one. I would be delighted to work with you again.
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

You say when, I'll be there!
Nadine

neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Hi stav

Just wanted to say that the other book by Zola is now in readers found, so let me know if you need help setting this one up.
Nadine

Carolin

Post by Carolin »

https://archive.org/details/christinemodelor00zola
Christine, the model, or, studies of love ...
by Zola, Emile, 1840-1902

this is a novel by emile zola wholly unknown to me, which in itself is a great argument to record it :)
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

https://archive.org/details/labetehumaine00zola_0
La bête humaine
by Zola, Emile, 1840-1902; Cox, George D., tr
It is certainly Zola’s masterwork, the matured fruit of his truly phenomenal genius, and this translation fully reproduces this great master’s wonderful style, dash and spirit. It is a deep and ingenious study of the French railroads, and interwoven with this are passionate love, the heredity of murder, the greed of gold and the thirst for the gaming-table. Jacques Lantier, the hero, belongs to the Rougon-Macquarts, whom Zola introduces in all his novels; he is the brother of Nana, Zola’s great heroine, and is, besides, a sort of Jack the Ripper of Whitechapel murder fame, that undiscovered assassin having, no doubt, been the model after which the character was formed.
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

https://archive.org/details/lereve00zola_0
Le rêve ..
by Zola, Emile, 1840-1902; Cox, George D
Le Reve, the latest novel from the pen of the world-famous Emile Zola, is a wide departure from the line he has heretofore followed with such conspicuous success. He himself describes it as an entirely pure romance fit for even the most innocent young girls to read, and there is certainly nothing in it that can shock or do harm. The novel is quaint both in style and matter, but is characterized by great power and interest, The plot deals with the experiences of a poor, deserted girl, who is saved from perishing in a severe snow-storm at the Saint Agnes door of the cathedral in Beaumont, a French country town, by the Huberts, chasuble-makers, and is brought up by them. This girl, Angelique-Marie, is seized with a fit of religious fervor from reading the mysteries of the Golden Legend, which colors her life. In this novel, Zola confines himself to telling a plain story in a plain way, now an then bringing on the scene a pathetic and touching incident well calculated to awaken all the sympathy of the reader. The characters are naturally and vividly drawn, and the language at times is quiet poetic and beautiful. Le Reve will create for Zola a new circle of readers and arouse general curiosity.
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

resurrecting this thread to say that this book was also on my list :)

https://archive.org/details/mysteriesofmarse00zola
The mysteries of Marseilles. A love story [COMPLETE]
by Zola, Emile, 1840-1902; Cox, George D
The Mysteries of Marseilles is a novel of wonderful power, realism and interest; indeed, it is safe to say that its gifted author never wrote a more remarkable work. Thorough originality characterizes every line of it, and every page teems with excitement. From the flight of Blanche de Cazalis with Philippe Cayol in the first chapter to the last sentence in the book there is a constant stream of stirring and unexpected incidents. The flight of the lovers is a pen picture of rare vividness, and all its lurid details remain stamped on the reader’s mind. Philippe’s arrest is another touch of rare naturalism; it is treated in a style that only a great master of fiction could attain. The trial for abduction, Blanche’s perfidy and the struggles of Philippe’s upright brother Marius are described in a most absorbing fashion. As in his novels, Zola tells everything, exposing vice in all its hideousness and contrasting it with virtue of the sternest type. The plot is complicated, but is capitally worked out, everything being made clear at last.
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

https://archive.org/details/conquestofplassa00zola_1
The conquest of Plassans
by Zola, Émile, 1840-1902; Sherwood, Mary Neal, tr
The Conquest of Plassans has in it two extraordinary characters, absolutely original in conception and execution. These are the Abbe Faujas and his mother, who come, as the title of the volume indicates, to bring under their control the provincial town of Plassans. These two figures pervade the book: The Abbe being the incarnation of ambition and the spirit of domination. We see that he has but one end in view. The mother of the Abbe is equally remarkable in her unselfishness and devotion. Zola’s command of language is absolutely marvelous, and he uses it so accurately that the reader has before him the individual the act or the scene, the hour of the day or night, the very light and atmosphere which were present to the mind and imagination of the Author. He makes us perceive the smell of vice, not the perfume; his nude figures are those of the anatomical table, which do not inspire the slightest immoral thought. There is not one of his books, not even the crudest, that does not leave in the soul, pure, firm and immutable, aversion or scorn for the base passions of which he treats. The Conquest of Plassans is perhaps more artistic than any of Zola’s works, and the plot unfolds itself gradually from the beginning to end, with a microscopic delineation of character and motive worthy of Balzac.
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/54686
Piping Hot! by Émile Zola
Though much that I would like to have said is still unsaid, the exigencies of space compel me to bring this notice to a close. However, this one thing I hope I have made clear: that it is my firm opinion that if fiction is to exist at all, the right to speak as he pleases on politics, morals, and religion must be granted to the writer, and that he on his side must take cognizance of other readers than sentimental young girls, who require to be provided with harmless occupation until something fresh turns up in the matrimonial market. Therefore the great literary battle of’ our day is not to be fought for either realism or romanticism, but for freedom of speech; and until that battle be gained I, for one, will continue fearlessly to hold out a hand of welcome to all comers who dare to attack the sovereignty of the circulating library.

The first of these is “Piping Hot!” and, I think, the pungent odour of life it exhales, as well as its scorching satire on the middle-classes, will be relished by all who prefer the fortifying brutalities of truth to the soft platitudes of lies. As a satire “Piping Hot!” must be read; and as a satire it will rank with Juvenal, Voltaire, Pope, and Swift.

George Moore.
Carolin