Edith Ellis play, Betty's Last Bet (1921)

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT » March 6th, 2017, 12:36 pm

https://archive.org/details/bettyslastbetfar00elli
Betty's last bet, a farce-comedy in three acts
by Ellis, Edith, 1876-1961
I'm suggesting someone do this because I recently saw a good comedy film based on Ellis' 1925 play, "White Collars" as 1938's Rich Man, Poor Girl starring Robert Young and Ruth Hussey. The first page of dialogue I read of Betty's Last Bet sounded like one of the cute 30's comedies starring Ginger Rogers or Priscilla Lane. Ellis had other plays produced in Hollywood, but not this one. Her older brother, Edward, was a character actor in Hollywood (The Thin Man, A Man to Remember) in the 30's & 40's.

Btw, this is not the same Edith Ellis who was married to sex researcher Havelock Ellis. Someone needs to tell the Australian library association, as they have a copy of another Ellis play wrongly listed under that lady's stats.
My previous LV work: Bellona Times

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW » March 7th, 2017, 2:19 pm

VfkaBT wrote:https://archive.org/details/bettyslastbetfar00elli
Betty's last bet, a farce-comedy in three acts
by Ellis, Edith, 1876-1961
I'm suggesting someone do this because I recently saw a good comedy film based on Ellis' 1925 play, "White Collars" as 1938's Rich Man, Poor Girl starring Robert Young and Ruth Hussey. The first page of dialogue I read of Betty's Last Bet sounded like one of the cute 30's comedies starring Ginger Rogers or Priscilla Lane. Ellis had other plays produced in Hollywood, but not this one. Her older brother, Edward, was a character actor in Hollywood (The Thin Man, A Man to Remember) in the 30's & 40's.

Btw, this is not the same Edith Ellis who was married to sex researcher Havelock Ellis. Someone needs to tell the Australian library association, as they have a copy of another Ellis play wrongly listed under that lady's stats.
This actually sounds like it would be right up my alley! I might have to put this one on my dramatic project backlog. That is, unless someone else wants to get to it first?

Currently working on one play and picked up another that had been abandoned. After that, I have another goofy comedy in mind. So I would probably follow that project up with this one, hypothetically.

I'll have to start reading it tonight. Also might have to track down that film! LOL!
Current Projects:
SOLO: The Intermediate Sex (Edward Carpenter)
GROUP: Prison Memoirs of an Anarchist (Alexander Berkman)