The Intersexes by Edward Prime-Stevenson

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

I honestly can't believe this is available, considering its low print run. Writing under the pseudonym Xavier Mayne, Edward Prime-Stevenson provides readers a far-reaching defense of homosexuality from a scientific, legal, historical, and personal perspective. It's a long work (about 500+ pages), so I suspect someone would want to adopt this as a group project. But it's definitely an important text.

Here it is.
Last edited by ChuckW on February 18th, 2017, 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Okay, so I've been mulling over the idea of doing this as a group project, but am frankly a little put off by the sheer ambition of this project. On closer inspection, the full text is about 600+ pages... and some of the chapters clock in at a whopping 150 pages! Breaking this down into small, palatable chunks will be a challenge, let alone trying to find enough volunteers willing to slog through some of the now-antiquated pathologies and medical jargon. That, coupled with some tough subject matter (plenty of chapters about ancient Greek pederasty and turn-of-the-century prostitution) make this a fairly challenging project.

It doesn't help that I was already dead set on doing another group project which was shorter, goofier, and less serious/more fun. :-P

Anyway, I'm still contemplating it.

EDIT: I also just noticed that the HathiTrust scan is missing one page from the preface. So I'd obviously have to track that down first... blergh.
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
Isana

Post by Isana »

My local library has a copy (for use in library only), so I could get a copy of the missing preface page for you. Apparently, there is a 1975 reprint of this book by Arno Press.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Isana wrote:My local library has a copy (for use in library only), so I could get a copy of the missing preface page for you. Apparently, there is a 1975 reprint of this book by Arno Press.
Thanks Isana. I just checked my university library database and I might be able to get the reprint from a neighboring university. We'll see if it ever comes in. It is also apparently quite rare (although obviously not as rare as the original printing, which had less than 200 copies in circulation).

Of course, if you're ever in your local library and have the urge to snap a photograph of what I presume is a single page... you'll have my endless appreciation. :-)
PROJECTS
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Hello Chuck,

I must confess to being unfamiliar with this book, though it looks like a very significant work.

From a purely practical point of view, I'd like to note that HathiTrust are only displaying this as search-only. They're saying that this is due to copyright restrictions, but they also give Prime-Stevenson's year of death as 1942, which would make him PD in Europe (where I'm trying to view the scan). If anybody is considering launching this, it might be worth asking HathiTrust if they can remove the restrictions on it to increase the pool of potential readers.
Erin
Off LV 25-28 March.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Newgatenovelist wrote:Hello Chuck,

I must confess to being unfamiliar with this book, though it looks like a very significant work.

From a purely practical point of view, I'd like to note that HathiTrust are only displaying this as search-only. They're saying that this is due to copyright restrictions, but they also give Prime-Stevenson's year of death as 1942, which would make him PD in Europe (where I'm trying to view the scan). If anybody is considering launching this, it might be worth asking HathiTrust if they can remove the restrictions on it to increase the pool of potential readers.
Erin
Oh, right! I forgot that HathiTrust is only available for US residents.

Here... I've gone ahead and uploaded the document to my GoogleDocs. For anyone curious...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-FiunZFPTQUVzM2MkNERnUzdGs
PROJECTS
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

A couple of updates:

1) I've requested a copy of the 1975 edition to see if I can find out what's on the missing page from the HathiTrust PDF. Once I've scored a copy, I'll upload the document.

2) I'm also wondering if I should break down some of the super-long chapters into 2000-3000 word or 3000-4000 word chunks. I suspect the former would attract more readers, but not sure if the surplus of sound files would be a nightmare. Any advice here?
PROJECTS
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

I lucked out. Looks like someone transcribed this book on Wikisource. So I won't have to worry about raiding my local libraries for OOP copies of this insanely hard-to-find book!

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Intersexes:_A_History_of_Similisexualism_as_a_Problem_in_Social_Life/

Alright, I've broken this down into various bite-sized chunks... and the final tally of sections is 86 (maybe 87... because I'm thinking of breaking up a 5900 word beast in half). That... obviously crazy.

I'm still waffling on whether I'll launch this. It's obviously an important project, but would also be the single biggest group project I've ever done... and I just got back here from a long hiatus. This, coupled with four sections where the author tosses in random excerpts from poems in German, French, and Latin (although it's never really all that much) all but confirms this would be a difficult project.

I'll mull it over tonight before bed.
PROJECTS
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Regarding your text source, the scan on HathiTrust (which they have noted as a 1908 edition) would be fine to use for Librivox, but the 1975 reprint and Wikisource would not. (We'd have to be able to compare them with a scan of the original to verify that they're identical.) So given your options, I'd suggest omitting the incomplete preface. An alternative would be to look elsewhere for a scan; Archive and Google Books would be places to start (they might also have the same text that's posted on HathiTrust).
Laurie Anne
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

chocoholic wrote:Regarding your text source, the scan on HathiTrust (which they have noted as a 1908 edition) would be fine to use for Librivox, but the 1975 reprint and Wikisource would not. (We'd have to be able to compare them with a scan of the original to verify that they're identical.) So given your options, I'd suggest omitting the incomplete preface. An alternative would be to look elsewhere for a scan; Archive and Google Books would be places to start (they might also have the same text that's posted on HathiTrust).
No worries. I've contacted an archivist at the University of Michigan (the university that scanned the original document) and should get the text of that missing page soon.

However, I have decided not to do this project. If anyone is interested, send me a PM. I can send the chapter breakdowns I created for this book.
PROJECTS
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Alright, an update: I have a photo copy of the missing page from the preface.

Please send me a PM if you'd like to do this as a group project and need a copy of the missing page. I also talked to the librarian who scanned the document and was assured that the HathiTrust edition would be corrected soon.

I also have a complete list of all the chapters, broken up into bite sized chunks (complete with word counts). I'd be happy to share all of this information, if you'd like to take this project on (because, um... I think I'm gonna pass on this one, myself).
PROJECTS
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

ChuckW wrote:Alright, I've broken this down into various bite-sized chunks... and the final tally of sections is 86 (maybe 87... because I'm thinking of breaking up a 5900 word beast in half). That... obviously crazy.
i hope the reason why you decided not to bc this project is not the size :) we have successfully completed projects of 100+ sections, 24h+ of recorded time, without major problems. the only issue is that these long projects also take long, and that you need to stay on the ball the whole time, but that is not too hard in itself. plus you would have your dpl and your mc by your side to pass the time :)

in any case, thank you for suggesting it. it is my belief that all texts that are suggested here are eventually going to be adopted (it is kind of my hobby to adopt the oldest suggestions).
Carolin
SherlHolmesMD

Post by SherlHolmesMD »

I would be happy to work on this project if it does kick off in the future (and I do hope it will)! :)
Sherl Holmes, MD
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Not to resurrect a long-dead thread, but I thought I should post some of the page-by-page breakdowns of each chapter I made long ago. That way, if anyone wants to launch this themselves, they can just copy-paste all of my work without having to send a PM in advance.

I also uploaded the HathiTrust document onto Archive.org for some of our non-American volunteers. I still think we should use the HathiTrust link in the LV description, however, since that's where it was originally posted. And don't forget: the scanned document has a missing page that a very helpful university librarian scanned for me.

I should also warn potential BCs: there's a lot of discussion of Greek pederasty.

I truly hope this gets done eventually.

Preface [1224 words]

Chapter I — Introductory: Old Ignorances and New Psychology [1620 words: pgs. 1-5]

Chapter II — Male and Female Human Nature as Theory and as Reality: The Theory of Intersects (part one) [4727 words—from beginning to end of “Emotional Inconsistencies”: 6-20]

Chapter II (part 1) — Male and Female Human Nature as Theory and as Reality: The Theory of Intersects (part one) [1449 words—from beginning to end of “Emotional Inconsistencies”: 6-13]
Chapter II (part 2) — Male and Female Human Nature as Theory and as Reality: The Theory of Intersects
[2454 words—“A Principle in Nature” to end: 13-20]

Chapter III (part 1) — Alterosexual Love and Friendship: Similisexual Love and Friendship (part one) [2083 words—from beginning to end of “Established Intolerance of the Modern World”: 21-27]
Chapter III (part 2) — Alterosexual Love and Friendship: Similisexual Love and Friendship (part two) [2107 words—from “Certain More Intelligent Liberalized…” to end of “Observation of Donnay”: 27-33]
Chapter III (part 3) — Alterosexual Love and Friendship: Similisexual Love and Friendship (part three) [1658 words—from “Historic Types of Deep Friendships” to end: 33-38]

Chapter IV (part 1) — Similisexual Love in the Brute World; in Primitive, Barbarous and Semi-Civilized Man; in Ancient Civilizations and Religions; and under Ancient and Modern Statutory Law (part one) [2366—read from beginning to end of “The Status of Mosaic-Judaic Law”: 39-45]
Chapter IV (part 2) — Similisexual Love in the Brute World; in Primitive, Barbarous and Semi-Civilized Man; in Ancient Civilizations and Religions; and under Ancient and Modern Statutory Law (part two) [2318 words—read from “Similisexual Love in Greece” to end of “Similisexual Love in Rome”: 45-53]
Chapter IV (part 3) — Similisexual Love in the Brute World; in Primitive, Barbarous and Semi-Civilized Man; in Ancient Civilizations and Religions; and under Ancient and Modern Statutory Law (part three) [2615 words—read from “In Primitive Rome” to end of “In Teutonic Countries and Laws”: 53-61]
Chapter IV (part 4) — Similisexual Love in the Brute World; in Primitive, Barbarous and Semi-Civilized Man; in Ancient Civilizations and Religions; and under Ancient and Modern Statutory Law (part four) [3059 words—read “The British Position” to end: 61-71]

Chapter V (part 1) — The Uranian, or Uring; His General Physical and Psychical Diagnosis: Types and Biographies (part one) [2783 words—from beginning to end of “Certain Departures from a Quite Masculine Type”: 71-80]
Chapter V (part 2) — The Uranian, or Uring; His General Physical and Psychical Diagnosis: Types and Biographies (part two) [2666—from “The Intellectual, Moral, Temperamental” to end of “The Bewildered Question: and Answer”: 81-88]
Chapter V (part 3) — The Uranian, or Uring; His General Physical and Psychical Diagnosis: Types and Biographies (part three) [2679 words—from “Various Preliminary Examples”]: 89-97]
Chapter V (part 4) — The Uranian, or Uring; His General Physical and Psychical Diagnosis: Types and Biographies (part four) [3167—from “Instance” to end of “Instance”: 97-105]
Chapter V (part 5) — The Uranian, or Uring; His General Physical and Psychical Diagnosis: Types and Biographies (part five) [2616 words—from “Instance: Uranian-Dionian” to “The The Tragic or Comic Results”: 105-114]
Chapter V (part 6) — The Uranian, or Uring; His General Physical and Psychical Diagnosis: Types and Biographies [2749 words—from “The Complete Uranian’s ‘Horror Corporis Feminae’” to end:114-122]

Chapter VI (part 1) — The Uraniad, or Feminine Complement of the Uranian: Her General Physical and Psychological Diagnosis: Types and Biographies (part one) [2083 words—read from beginning to end of “The Uraniad Intersex”: 123-129]
Chapter VI (part 2) — The Uraniad, or Feminine Complement of the Uranian: Her General Physical and Psychological Diagnosis: Types and Biographies [2627 words—read from “Instance of Inborn Uraniadism” to end of “Instance: Physique Not Quite Normal”: 129-139]
Chapter VI (part 3) — The Uraniad, or Feminine Complement of the Uranian: Her General Physical and Psychological Diagnosis: Types and Biographies [2932 words—read from “The Amazonian Uraniad” to end of “Instance: Virile Disguise, Male Externals”: 139-146]
Chapter VI (part 5) — The Uraniad, or Feminine Complement of the Uranian: Her General Physical and Psychological Diagnosis: Types and Biographies [1587 words—read from “Instance: Johanna Buchbinder” to end: 146-151]

Chapter VII (part 1) — The Uranian and Uraniad in Their Earliest Youth: The Inborn Similisexual as Boy and as Girl: Types and Biographies [2291 words—read from beginning to “Instances of Strong Youthful Uranianism”: 152-158]
Chapter VII (part 2) — The Uranian and Uraniad in Their Earliest Youth: The Inborn Similisexual as Boy and as Girl: Types and Biographies [2300 words—read from “Two Leading Types of Uranian Youth” to “Instances of Ulrichs: Psychic (Youthful) Uranianism”: 158-165]
Chapter VII (part 3) — The Uranian and Uraniad in Their Earliest Youth: The Inborn Similisexual as Boy and as Girl: Types and Biographies [2331 words—read from “Another Instance: Ulrichs” to “Further Instances: Boarding School Practices”: 165-172]
Chapter VII (part 4) — The Uranian and Uraniad in Their Earliest Youth: The Inborn Similisexual as Boy and as Girl: Types and Biographies [3442 words—read from “Instance of Permanency of the Instinct” to end: 165-183]

Chapter VIII (part 1) — The Uranian and the Uraniad in the Military and Naval Careers; in the Athletic Professions: and in Royal, Political and Aristocratic Social Life: Types and Biographies [2099 words—read from beginning to end of “Ancient Teutonic”: 184-190]
Chapter VIII (part 2) — The Uranian and the Uraniad in the Military and Naval Careers; in the Athletic Professions: and in Royal, Political and Aristocratic Social Life: Types and Biographies [3066 words—read from “The Crusaders” to end of “The Tragic Side”: 191-200]
Chapter VIII (part 3) — The Uranian and the Uraniad in the Military and Naval Careers; in the Athletic Professions: and in Royal, Political and Aristocratic Social Life: Types and Biographies [2435 words—read from “The Crusaders” to end of “The Tragic Side”: 191-200]
Chapter VIII (part 3) — The Uranian and the Uraniad in the Military and Naval Careers; in the Athletic Professions: and in Royal, Political and Aristocratic Social Life: Types and Biographies [2435 words—read from “Uranianism in the French Lost Legion” to end of “A Romanist of Military Uranianism”: 200-207]
Chapter VIII (part 4) — The Uranian and the Uraniad in the Military and Naval Careers; in the Athletic Professions: and in Royal, Political and Aristocratic Social Life: Types and Biographies [2079 words—read from “A Citation from De Amicis” to end of “Two Other Literary References”: 207-212]
Chapter VIII (part 5) — The Uranian and the Uraniad in the Military and Naval Careers; in the Athletic Professions: and in Royal, Political and Aristocratic Social Life: Types and Biographies [3179 words—read from “Military Prostitution” to end of “In the United States”: 212-222]
Chapter VIII (part 6) — The Uranian and the Uraniad in the Military and Naval Careers; in the Athletic Professions: and in Royal, Political and Aristocratic Social Life: Types and Biographies [2946 words—read from “Prostitution between Officers and Men” to end of “French Sovereigns”: 222-232]
Chapter VIII (part 7) — The Uranian and the Uraniad in the Military and Naval Careers; in the Athletic Professions: and in Royal, Political and Aristocratic Social Life: Types and Biographies [3047 words—read from “Scandinavia, Russia, etc.” to end of “King Ludwig II of Bavaria”: 232-242]
Chapter VIII (part 8) — The Uranian and the Uraniad in the Military and Naval Careers; in the Athletic Professions: and in Royal, Political and Aristocratic Social Life: Types and Biographies [2511 words—read from “Differences in Sexual Choice” to end of “Fighting Uraniad: Catalina de Erauso”: 242-250]
Chapter VIII (part 9) — The Uranian and the Uraniad in the Military and Naval Careers; in the Athletic Professions: and in Royal, Political and Aristocratic Social Life: Types and Biographies [1250 words—read from “The Heroic Soldieress: Franziska Skanagatta” to end: 250-254—contains a short excerpt from a German poem]

Chapter IX (part 1) — The Uranian and Uraniad in the Distinctively Ethical, Religious and Intellectual Life: and in the Distinctively Aesthetic Professions and Environments: Types and Biographies [2728 words—read from beginning to “St Augustine”: 255-263]
Chapter IX (part 2) — The Uranian and Uraniad in the Distinctively Ethical, Religious and Intellectual Life: and in the Distinctively Aesthetic Professions and Environments: Types and Biographies [2339 words—read from “Modern Moral Philosophers to “The Clergy and Similisexualism”: 263-270—excerpt of poem in some foreign language]
Chapter IX (part 3) — The Uranian and Uraniad in the Distinctively Ethical, Religious and Intellectual Life: and in the Distinctively Aesthetic Professions and Environments: Types and Biographies [2625 words—read from “The Established Church of England to “Professional Medicine”: 270-278]
Chapter IX (part 4) — The Uranian and Uraniad in the Distinctively Ethical, Religious and Intellectual Life: and in the Distinctively Aesthetic Professions and Environments: Types and Biographies [2573 words—read from “The Uranian in Belles-lettres” to “The Great Latin Erotists”: 278-287—contains excerpts from Latin poems]
Chapter IX (part 5) — The Uranian and Uraniad in the Distinctively Ethical, Religious and Intellectual Life: and in the Distinctively Aesthetic Professions and Environments: Types and Biographies [2444 words—read from “Uranians in Latin Drama” to “German Belles-lettres”: 287-296—contains excerpts of Latin poem]
Chapter IX (part 6) — The Uranian and Uraniad in the Distinctively Ethical, Religious and Intellectual Life: and in the Distinctively Aesthetic Professions and Environments: Types and Biographies [2073 words—read from “Goethe” to end of “August von Platen”: 296-302]
Chapter IX (part 7) — The Uranian and Uraniad in the Distinctively Ethical, Religious and Intellectual Life: and in the Distinctively Aesthetic Professions and Environments: Types and Biographies [2026 words—read “”Grillparzer”: 302-307]
Chapter IX (part 8) — TThe Uranian and Uraniad in the Distinctively Ethical, Religious and Intellectual Life: and in the Distinctively Aesthetic Professions and Environments: Types and Biographies [3769 words—read from “”A. von Sternberg” to the end of “E.M. Vacano”: 307-318]
Chapter IX (part 9) — The Uranian and Uraniad in the Distinctively Ethical, Religious and Intellectual Life: and in the Distinctively Aesthetic Professions and Environments: Types and Biographies [2122 words—read from “”Contemporary German Fiction” to the end of “Lenan”: 318-325]
Chapter IX (part 10) — The Uranian and Uraniad in the Distinctively Ethical, Religious and Intellectual Life: and in the Distinctively Aesthetic Professions and Environments: Types and Biographies [5921 words—read from beginning of “”French Homosexuality” to “…costume of rose and yellow”: 325-335]
Chapter IX (part 11) — The Uranian and Uraniad in the Distinctively Ethical, Religious and Intellectual Life: and in the Distinctively Aesthetic Professions and Environments: Types and Biographies [5921 words—read from “The final episode” to end: 335-341]
Chapter IX (part 12) — The Uranian and Uraniad in the Distinctively Ethical, Religious and Intellectual Life: and in the Distinctively Aesthetic Professions and Environments: Types and Biographies [2262 words—read from “Fersen” to “Essebac”: 341-347]
Chapter IX (part 13) — The Uranian and Uraniad in the Distinctively Ethical, Religious and Intellectual Life: and in the Distinctively Aesthetic Professions and Environments: Types and Biographies [2590 words—read from “Homosexualism in English Literature” to “The Restoration Dramatists”: 347-355]
Chapter IX (part 14) — The Uranian and Uraniad in the Distinctively Ethical, Religious and Intellectual Life: and in the Distinctively Aesthetic Professions and Environments: Types and Biographies [2822 words—read from “Smollett, Walpole, Pope” to “Oscar Wilde”: 355-363]
Chapter IX (part 15) — The Uranian and Uraniad in the Distinctively Ethical, Religious and Intellectual Life: and in the Distinctively Aesthetic Professions and Environments: Types and Biographies [2822 words—read from “Tennyson” to “Oscar Wilde”: 363-363]
Chapter IX (part 16) — The Uranian and Uraniad in the Distinctively Ethical, Religious and Intellectual Life: and in the Distinctively Aesthetic Professions and Environments: Types and Biographies [4602 words—read from “Tennyson” to end of “Imre”: 363-376]
Chapter IX (part 17) — The Uranian and Uraniad in the Distinctively Ethical, Religious and Intellectual Life: and in the Distinctively Aesthetic Professions and Environments: Types and Biographies [2779 words—read from “American Phiarrhenic Literature” to end of “Suggestions in American Prose”: 376-386]
Chapter IX (part 18) — The Uranian and Uraniad in the Distinctively Ethical, Religious and Intellectual Life: and in the Distinctively Aesthetic Professions and Environments: Types and Biographies [2335 words—read from “In Italian fiction…” to end of “SJerome Duquesnoy”: 386-395—contains excerpts from an Italian poem]
Chapter IX (part 19) — The Uranian and Uraniad in the Distinctively Ethical, Religious and Intellectual Life: and in the Distinctively Aesthetic Professions and Environments: Types and Biographies [2571 words—read from “Music and Drama” to end of “Uraniads in Earnest Professional Activities”: 395-395]
Chapter IX (part 20) — The Uranian and Uraniad in the Distinctively Ethical, Religious and Intellectual Life: and in the Distinctively Aesthetic Professions and Environments: Types and Biographies [2571 words—read from “Music and Drama” to end of “Uraniads in Earnest Professional Activities”: 395-403]
Chapter IX (part 21) — The Uranian and Uraniad in the Distinctively Ethical, Religious and Intellectual Life: and in the Distinctively Aesthetic Professions and Environments: Types and Biographies [1531 words—read from “Literary Uraniads” to end: 403-408]

Chapter X (part 1) — The Uranian and Uraniad as Degenerates, as Criminals and as Social and Legal Victims: Types and Biographies [2810 words—read from beginning to end of “Degenerate Similisexualism in Aristocratic Life”: 409-418]
Chapter X (part 2) — The Uranian and Uraniad as Degenerates, as Criminals and as Social and Legal Victims: Types and Biographies [2161 words—read from “Elagabalus; Nero; Gilles de Rais” to end of “In Modern Anglo-Saxon Aristocracy”: 418-425]
Chapter X (part 3) — The Uranian and Uraniad as Degenerates, as Criminals and as Social and Legal Victims: Types and Biographies [2978 words—read from “In the beginning this chapter…” to end of “Why Then At All?”: 425-434]
Chapter X (part 4) — The Uranian and Uraniad as Degenerates, as Criminals and as Social and Legal Victims: Types and Biographies [2565 words—read from “Really Contra-Sexual Prostitution” to end of “Uranian Balls, Soirees, and Social Meetings”: 434-442]
Chapter X (part 5) — The Uranian and Uraniad as Degenerates, as Criminals and as Social and Legal Victims: Types and Biographies [3436 words—read from “The preference for dressing like a woman…” to end of “Marriage Between Uranians”: 442-452]
Chapter X (part 6) — The Uranian and Uraniad as Degenerates, as Criminals and as Social and Legal Victims: Types and Biographies [2749 words—read from “In reviewing so far homosexual prostitution…” to end of “What Can the Victim Do to Escape?”: 452-461]
Chapter X (part 7) — The Uranian and Uraniad as Degenerates, as Criminals and as Social and Legal Victims: Types and Biographies [3355 words—read from “Instance of Systemic Blackmail” to end of “Other Instances of Blackmail”: 461-469]
Chapter X (part 8) — The Uranian and Uraniad as Degenerates, as Criminals and as Social and Legal Victims: Types and Biographies [3355 words—read from “Instance of Systemic Blackmail” to end of “Other Instances of Blackmail”: 469-469]
Chapter X (part 9) — The Uranian and Uraniad as Degenerates, as Criminals and as Social and Legal Victims: Types and Biographies [3541 words—read from “Other Instances of Blackmail” to end of “Other Examples”: 469-475]
Chapter X (part 10) — The Uranian and Uraniad as Degenerates, as Criminals and as Social and Legal Victims: Types and Biographies [3049 words—read from “Notable Examples of Systemic Blackmail” to end of “Public Proceedings Against Blackmailers”: 475-484]
Chapter X (part 11) — The Uranian and Uraniad as Degenerates, as Criminals and as Social and Legal Victims: Types and Biographies [2565 words—read from “Blackmailing Not Unknown” to end of “Instances: Italian”: 484-492]
Chapter X (part 12) — The Uranian and Uraniad as Degenerates, as Criminals and as Social and Legal Victims: Types and Biographies [2519 words—read from “High-Class Blackmailers” to end of “Political Murders and Homosexuality”: 492-501]
Chapter X (part 13) — The Uranian and Uraniad as Degenerates, as Criminals and as Social and Legal Victims: Types and Biographies [2783 words—read from “In 1907, 1908, and 1909…” to end of “Instance: London to Escape Blackmail”: 501-509]
Chapter X (part 14) — The Uranian and Uraniad as Degenerates, as Criminals and as Social and Legal Victims: Types and Biographies [2229 words—read from “In 1907, 1908, and 1909…” to end of “The Uranian as Altruist”: 509-515]
Chapter X (part 15) — The Uranian and Uraniad as Degenerates, as Criminals and as Social and Legal Victims: Types and Biographies [2229 words—read from “Instance: To Escape Law” to end of “The Uranian as Altruist”: 509-515]
Chapter X (part 16) — The Uranian and Uraniad as Degenerates, as Criminals and as Social and Legal Victims: Types and Biographies [2226 words—read from “An Old Summary” to end of “Geographical Distribution”: 515-523]
Chapter X (part 17) — The Uranian and Uraniad as Degenerates, as Criminals and as Social and Legal Victims: Types and Biographies [2062 words—read from “Uraniad Prostitution” to end: 523-523]

Chapter XI (part 1) — The Uranian and Uraniad in Relation to Marriage as a “Cure” for Similisexualism [2487 words—read from beginning to end of “Timely Retreat”: 530-537]
Chapter XI (part 2) — The Uranian and Uraniad in Relation to Marriage as a “Cure” for Similisexualism [3151 words—read from “Nevertheless, we continually find the homosexual…” to end of “Jealousy and Interference”: 537-545]
Chapter XI (part 3) — The Uranian and Uraniad in Relation to Marriage as a “Cure” for Similisexualism [2195 words—read from “Transmitted Similisexualism” to end: 537-545]

Chapter XII — Is the Uranian a Higher or Lower Sex and Type in the Scale of Humanity? [2628 words]

Chapter XIII (part 1) — The Life and Diary of an Uranian Poet: August von Platen (1796-1835) [2607 words—read from beginning to “…graphic detail and poignant clarity.” [563-570]
Chapter XIII (part 2) — The Life and Diary of an Uranian Poet: August von Platen (1796-1835) [2770 words—read from “Platen was never a woman hater” to “…even in their passionately affectionate days.” [570-579] — contains one line of French
Chapter XIII (part 3) — The Life and Diary of an Uranian Poet: August von Platen (1796-1835) [2933 words—read from “Of himself, at this period” to “…or let me meet my end!” [579-587]
Chapter XIII (part 4) — The Life and Diary of an Uranian Poet: August von Platen (1796-1835) [2900 words—read from “The reader must not think…” to “…Platen knew himself now, verily!” [587-596]
Chapter XIII (part 5) — The Life and Diary of an Uranian Poet: August von Platen (1796-1835) [2933 words—read from “Nevertheless, he is glad…” to “…Würzburg fire.” [596-603] — contains excerpt from a poem in German
Chapter XIII (part 6) — The Life and Diary of an Uranian Poet: August von Platen (1796-1835) [2510 words—read from “The years at Erlangen…” to “…so ardent a young simisexual.” [604-611]
Chapter XIII (part 7) — The Life and Diary of an Uranian Poet: August von Platen (1796-1835) [1607 words—read from “We now reach the last…” to “…particular types.” [611-616] — more excerpts from a German poem
Chapter XIII (part 8) — The Life and Diary of an Uranian Poet: August von Platen (1796-1835) [1423 words—read from “The settled University life of Platen…” to end.” [616-611]

Appendix A — A Categoric Personal Analysis for the Reader — “Am I at all an Uranian?” — “Am I at all an Uraniad?” [ 4615 words]

Appendix B — Some Physical Considerations of Uranianism and Uraniadism [828 words]

Appendix C — Uranianism in the United States of North America [1266 words]

Appendix D — Bibliographic Note [179 words]
PROJECTS
adonis

Post by adonis »

There's a number of books by Edward Carpenter on this theme in Gutenberg.

E. g. The Intermediate Sex.

www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/53763

Sincerely,
Tony Addison.