The Principles of Psychology, by William James (1890)

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
argonant

Post by argonant »

Hosted here by the site Classics in the History of Psychology

Why would it be interesting to read? Look at the chapter titles!

I imagine it would work well as a group read, since the chapters can be read separately and still enjoyed.

Wikipedia: "The Principles of Psychology was a vastly influential textbook which summarized the field of psychology through the time of its publication. Psychology was beginning to gain popularity and acclaim in the United States at this time, and the compilation of this textbook only further solidified psychology's credibility as a science. Philosopher Helmut R. Wagner writes that most of the book's contents are now outdated, but that it still contains insights of interest."

The host's description: "Perhaps the most important English-language psychology text in history."

My own comment: as a PhD student in a cognitive psych. program, a number of the seminar courses I attended assigned one of these chapters the first week as both a history of study and as a remarkably pertinent overview.
Dylan P. Straub

"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." —Mark Twain
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We'd need to be sure of the PD status as it's not a scan or you'd need to find another source.

Anne
argonant

Post by argonant »

Sorry for any confusion. That is a psychology focused site that publishes works that are PD in Canada, however given the book was published in 1890 in the US I believe it should be good for Librivox. Here are scans if that helps (I just posted the text assuming that might be more convenient for readers):

Vol. 1 / Vol. 2 (Also on Google 1, 2)
Last edited by argonant on February 6th, 2017, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dylan P. Straub

"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." —Mark Twain
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

:thumbs: Scans with publication dates :D
maurice

Post by maurice »

hi - newbie, just done a few sections on the compte positivism one as a try out.

Keen to do a solo project rather than chapters, and would love to do this as a project.

Don't understand the process, however - does the discussion above mean that its cleared to go?

does the fact that you're talking about a scan mean that its not on gutenberg?

How does the project management/mc bit work for a start up project - is it confirmed in some way and then go on a different list looking for an MC and PL??

m
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

The scans posted above are OK to use. Publication date is before 1923 which means the book is public domain in the U.S. These are not available on gutenberg, so they would have to be read from the scans.

If you are interested in a solo recording, please see this post for more information -

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13513

This is a very long book - volume 1 alone is over 600 pages, probably close to 300,000 words. at an average reading speed of 150 wpm, that's going to entail >30 hours of recording. Double or triple (or more) that time to allow for editing. Are you sure you are ready to make that level of commitment? I'm not trying to discourage you, but I would highly recommend that you consider something a little less ambitious for your first solo. :)
Jo
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

How does the project management/mc bit work for a start up project - is it confirmed in some way and then go on a different list looking for an MC and PL??
http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/How_LibriVox_Works#The_LibriVox_recording_process
8-)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart