LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently December 11th, 2017, 4:14 am

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post Posted:: July 28th, 2017, 6:33 am 

gweeks has just pointed out that the publication date on this copy is 1923. Is that okay?

Anon.

Post Posted:: July 28th, 2017, 6:38 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Thanks for all the people telling us this . We know. We can all read. And I am also aware of PG's policy on the origon of books they clear and am not planning to submit it

Anne

Post Posted:: July 28th, 2017, 6:49 am 

Sorry Anne. I didn't know you'd be contacted elsewhere.

http://www.worldcat.org/title/child-whispers-verse/oclc/316062027&referer=brief_results

Texas A&M according to WorldCat have a 1922 version. I'm wondering if it is 2 books or the earlier entry is a mistake.
I must say I wouldn't have thought to check which version I received.

Kim

Post Posted:: July 28th, 2017, 7:10 am 

carteki wrote:
Sorry Anne. I didn't know you'd be contacted elsewhere.

http://www.worldcat.org/title/child-whispers-verse/oclc/316062027&referer=brief_results

Texas A&M according to WorldCat have a 1922 version. I'm wondering if it is 2 books or the earlier entry is a mistake.
I must say I wouldn't have thought to check which version I received.

Kim

I scanned this from the microfiche at TX A&M. It is the only one they had. I did talk about the 1923 date with the librarian who helped me find it. When we did a little more digging, it looked like the UK had the only 1922 version, from what we found. I wonder if it would be possible for a UK volunteer to scan just the copyright information from that one and we could sort of submit that along with this? Or does it not work that way? I'm still new to this side of things, so I don't know how that works.

Journal of Francis Asbury, traveling preacher in America, 1771-1815
Religion: Mushrooms on the Moor, Frank Boreham (d. 1959)
Fantasy: Double Life of Alfred Burton
Cats, Ghosts, and Blackmail: The Countess of Loundes Square

Post Posted:: July 28th, 2017, 7:12 am 

annise wrote:
Thanks for all the people telling us this . We know. We can all read. And I am also aware of PG's policy on the origon of books they clear and am not planning to submit it

Anne

Would you mind sharing what that policy is for those of us who are new at this? I mean, I'm sure I could go read it, but if you didn't mind giving a condensed version, I'd appreciate it.

Post Posted:: July 28th, 2017, 4:35 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

You're asking for a condensed version of the total mess that is the USA PD laws ? And I'm not even American :roll: Or a lawyer :roll: let alone an international copyright lawyer.
The 1922 cutoff came about because there have been a number of changes made by the USA over the years and the most recent change decided it lasted 95 years from publication , so we are closing in on the year when the cutoff will be 1923 and then more stuff will be available each Jan 1st. (unless there is a law change of course)

The reason why there are some post that date stuff here is usually because either they are government publications which are all PD except those that aren't
OR
Because in the various changes that were made , there was one that required the copyright to be renewed by the holders or copyright lapsed and that is what PG will investigate - and why for example the SciFi we have can be hosted- it was published in magazines which held the copyright and then ceased publication.
However this does not apply to "foreign" publications.

Anne

Post Posted:: July 28th, 2017, 5:18 pm 

annise wrote:
You're asking for a condensed version of the total mess that is the USA PD laws ? And I'm not even American :roll: Or a lawyer :roll: let alone an international copyright lawyer.

Haha, point taken. But no, I thought you meant that PG had some other policy in addition to that, something like they will research a book's copyright if it came from this source, but not from that one. But I'm sure I misunderstood.