The Tales of Gilgamesh, Author unknown

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
urbanbard

Post by urbanbard » November 22nd, 2015, 1:10 pm

Good day all,

I wanted to record the Tales of Gilgamesh.

I feel this is a very important thing to undertake. It is the 1st recorded literary tale of Humankind, from ancient Sumeria, often overshadowed by the Egyptian civilization. To the best of my knowledge it has never been audio book recorded. Though several parts are missing due to pieces of the clay tablets destroyed / missing, the tale gels very well together.

As part of my research into a Sumerian poetry cycle, I did a lot of research on these people and even learnt some Sumerian http://www.sumerian.org/sumerian.pdf

I have confirmed that it is in the Gutenberg catalog. If you would like to be involved in what would undoubtedly be an important project, then please aid me in bringing this project to fruition. Will record in English, not Sumerian (just in case you were wondering).

Love

Stefan The Urban Bard

Cambridge
UK

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » November 22nd, 2015, 1:41 pm

Welcome!

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11000

It looks like the text itself is short. If I scanned the text correctly, there are two tablets, each translation of which is less than 1500 words.

Would you be reading the notes or anything else, or just the translated lines themselves?
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons

RuthieG

Post by RuthieG » November 22nd, 2015, 1:51 pm

As I mentioned in your intro thread, there is a long discussion about The Epic of Gilgamesh here. (It's a little difficult to follow, as it appears several threads have been merged into one.) It was at that time thought that the Gutenberg version that Tricia mentions was very fragmentary.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » November 22nd, 2015, 3:12 pm

I would be interested in helping with this project. I read a tiny bit of Gilgamesh for my theology degree, but could never really get my head around the whole story.

I can offer to BC and DPL for this project under two conditions:

- I'd like the soloist to complete at least a 1MT and one other section before starting this, as I'm not a very technical person.

- I'd like to be sure that the text we are using is suitable. I'll go check the other thread now for that discussion.

urbanbard

Post by urbanbard » November 22nd, 2015, 10:23 pm

Erm I do not know what has happened to the thread.

Anne replied as well earlier on and I also posted a reply about the fact that I could read it in the Sumerian, yet it would not be a good listen for others, though an experience all the same Ruthie.

I (sigh dramatically) as I fumble over the keyboard knowing that despite everything, The Tales of Gilgamesh is not in the Public Domain for the US.

Though very tempted to read it in Sumerian and record anyway. Also there are 11 tablets that I know of. Yet As Ruthie has explained no joy as regards PD stuff. http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/mesopotamian/gilgamesh/

Though I have enjoyed being part of recording a book BC, DPL by Carolin & Maxine this evening.

Love

Da Bard

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » November 22nd, 2015, 11:15 pm

Have you got a UK PD text? If so, we could go do the project for Legamus?

RuthieG

Post by RuthieG » November 23rd, 2015, 1:50 am

urbanbard wrote:Erm I do not know what has happened to the thread.
Those replies were in your other thread ;).

Legamus, by the way, is an independent community where texts are recorded that are out of copyright in Europe (and other places where copyright depends on the death of the author), but are still in copyright in the USA (where copyright depends on publication date). In this case, it won't help, as the Kovacs translation is from the 1980s, so she cannot have died over 70 years ago.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » November 23rd, 2015, 2:55 am

Could urbanbard make his own translation (don't know how feasible that would be) place it in the PD and record it?

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » November 23rd, 2015, 3:45 am

No. We do not allow self-published works, including translations.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » November 23rd, 2015, 10:43 pm

OK, from the other thread I think this version would be OK for Legamus: http://www.sacred-texts.com/ane/eog/index.htm

The author died in 1941, so that means it became PD for UK/Europe in 2012.

urbanbard, if you are still interested in recording this for Legamus, PM me and I'll set it up and DPL for you over there.

pnagami

Post by pnagami » November 26th, 2015, 3:39 pm

I take it that U.S. citizens cannot record for Legamus?
Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » November 26th, 2015, 5:14 pm

pnagami wrote:I take it that U.S. citizens cannot record for Legamus?
Pam
Since Legamus is for projects that are still under copyright in the US, it would be breaking US copyright law for someone in America to record for it.

If you go to Europe for a while and record stuff while you're there, that'd be fine. But you probably wouldn't want to keep a copy on your computer when you come back home. :roll:
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons

pnagami

Post by pnagami » November 26th, 2015, 5:24 pm

Very interesting! Thank you.
Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » November 26th, 2015, 9:12 pm

pnagami wrote:I take it that U.S. citizens cannot record for Legamus?
Pam
Also, Legamus specifically doesn't duplicate what LV does, so if something is PD everywhere it makes more sense to record it here. So Legamus is much smaller and specifically focused on works that are PD in Life+70 countries but NOT the USA.

pnagami

Post by pnagami » November 28th, 2015, 5:57 pm

Very interesting!
Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson