List of Early Science Fiction (PD and not yet in the catalog!)

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Yo, Dudes!

(Sorry, that's about as much American as I can manage - unless I'm really drunk!)

No offense intended - my sense of humour tends to fall flat on so many different occasions! :roll:

Anyway, my question/request is this... My first love is science fiction, but most of the available
texts seem to be American. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but unfortunately I am not a linguistic
deva - so my American accent leaves a lot to be desired! :lol:

Are there any English (character) stories available? I am referring to stories that require an English accent.
(I realize that copyright issues may be involved and, to be honest, it confuses the wossnames out of me!
Still, if anyone can suggest a text that is legally okay - that would be exceedingly cool!) :wink:

I tried to paste a link of a sample recording, but as the volume has now been posted - it don't work no more...

So... If you would like to check out my voice - to see if I may be useful for any particular story - check out Short Story Collection Vol. 080.

My version of 'In the Avu Observatory' by Herbert G. is the first one in the play order.

Andrew

PS: A thought occurs. Possibly this has been suggested before - I'm fairly new here, in terms of actually contributing - BUT...

Would a new post, where-in Folks could post samples of their own recordings be useful to anyone? I'm only thinking in terms
of giving mc's a 'marketplace' where potential readers could be found. Just a thought. (And I totally understand that this may go against the whole LibriVox ethic
of encouraging everybody to have a go - fair play - I simply offer the idea for consideration! :wink: )
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Librivox is based in the USA and follows American copyright law. You might like to look at Legamus.org which is a similar organization producing audiobooks under EU copyright laws - at least until Brexit, anyway! ;)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

And I'd also like to say - there is absolutely no need to read anything in any other accent than your natural one. You are reading a story not acting . If you want to do accents no one will stop you but Sherlock Holmes can be American English, Canadian English, Australian English, Indian English ....... birth-acquired English, school acquired English ........ etc. The only requirement is that it is understandable.
The more modern Sci Fi is American mainly because of USA copyright laws and the fact PG has the resources to investigate any loopholes. Pre 1924 what we would now call science fiction is worldwide. If you take the concept of only reading with the author's accent, what would you do for Jules Verne? Use fake French-accented English? Find the nationality and region of the translator and use it ?

Anne
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Sorry Dudette - we have a fundamental difference of opinion here - Sherlock Holmes is English - and he's a bloke.

End of.

It is totally cool that LibriVox encourages everbody to have a go - I am well up for that - nil problemo!

However... I personally - and I trust that you will note the 'personally', do have a difficulty reading a ladies lines
in my own, fairly deep, voice. Also - and I apologise if this pisses anyone off - but I personally (remember, this is totally subjective!)
I PERSONALLY find it difficult to wrap my head around a lady reading lines that were clearly intended to be read by a man.

I really don't think I am being sexist here. I am happy to listen to anyone who who is willing to take the time
to tell me a story - love 'em to bits! :wink:

Okay, I can't remember why I started writing this...

Best go to bed!
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

H.G. Wells is an English bloke, dabbled in science fiction. :wink:
The great thing about all of this is that you are free to choose what you narrate and what you listen to.
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Well, I can't really argue with that!

(I never actually intended to dispute the obvious, as it happens. I personally
(there's that word again!) think that LibriVox is completely wonderful, and I have the
greatest respect for anyone who is willing to volunteer their time.)

:clap: :clap: :clap:
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Not sure why so many of my comments get posted twice - Administator, please free to
delete the repetion, if you would be so kind...
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Removing The Golden Slave, Planet Mappers, and Men Like Gods, since those have now all been adopted.

Keep it up, gang! :clap:
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Doomsday Eve has also just been catalogued.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Also Master of Life and Death.

My website
My Librivox reader page
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

sjmarky wrote: August 3rd, 2019, 9:08 am Also Master of Life and Death.
Oh jeez! There's not gonna be much in this list left to record at this rate!
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Added a few new books to the list:

Revolution: A Story of the Near Future in England (J.D. Beresford)
Memories of the Future, Being Memoirs of the Years 1915-1972, Written in the Year of Grace 1988 (Lady Porstock Opal)
The Clockwork Man (EV Odle)
Theodore Savage: A Story of the Past or the Future (Cicely Hamilton)
The People of the Ruins (Edward Shanks)
Drowsy (John Ames Mitchell)
What Not: A Prophetic Comedy (Rose Macaulay)
Meccania: The Super-State (Owen Gregory)
PROJECTS
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

The Moon Pool is already in the catalog.

My website
My Librivox reader page
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Yes, it is! I just listened to The Moon Pool a couple of months ago, great story!

I am adopting The Radio Man, titled as An Earthman on Venus since the book on PG is titled that way. I plan to do The Radio Planet after this one.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

sjmarky wrote: August 3rd, 2019, 7:21 pm The Moon Pool is already in the catalog.
Oh, great! I'll go ahead and remove it from the list.
icequeen wrote: August 3rd, 2019, 7:36 pm Yes, it is! I just listened to The Moon Pool a couple of months ago, great story!

I am adopting The Radio Man, titled as An Earthman on Venus since the book on PG is titled that way. I plan to do The Radio Planet after this one.
Great! I'll go ahead and take it off the list. Thanks for letting me know -- it helps me keep this list current.

I'm also adding two more books:

J.D. Beresford’s The Hampdenshire Wonder and Goslings
PROJECTS