The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » December 3rd, 2014, 3:49 am

James Hogg's most famous work. Quote Wikipedia:
The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner, (Full title, The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner: Written by Himself: With a detail of curious traditionary facts and other evidence by the editor) is a novel by the Scottish author James Hogg, published anonymously in 1824.

Considered by turns part-gothic novel, part-psychological mystery, part-metafiction, part-satire, part-case study of totalitarian thought, it can also be thought of as an early example of modern crime fiction in which the story is told, for the most part, from the point of view of its criminal anti-hero. The action of the novel is located in a historically definable Scotland with accurately observed settings, and simultaneously infers a pseudo-Christian world of angels, devils, and demonic possession.

The first edition sold very poorly and the novel suffered from a period of critical neglect, especially in the nineteenth century. However, since the latter part of the twentieth century it has won greater critical interest and attention. It was praised by André Gide in an introduction to the 1947 reissue and described by the critic Walter Allen as 'the most convincing representation of the power of evil in our literature'. It has also been seen as a study of religious fanaticism through its deeply critical portrait of the Calvinist concept of predestination. It is written in Scottish English, with some sections of Scots that appear in dialogue.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Private_Memoirs_and_Confessions_of_a_Justified_Sinner
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2276
Carolin

Please help us record The History of Pendennis, a lesser-known but no less fabulous novel of Thackeray's!

hhanover

Post by hhanover » February 12th, 2015, 11:30 am

This book, by James Hogg, was written in 1824 and has a little to offend nearly everyone. Angels, demons, libertines, drum-tight Protestant prudes, doppelgängers, the author was, er, Hogg wild (my bad). Here's Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2276. And here is the wiki on the book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Private_Memoirs_and_Confessions_of_a_Justified_Sinner. I cannot find it in the Librivox catalog and wonder if starting a project is in order.

WillLevine

Post by WillLevine » February 26th, 2015, 2:56 pm

This is on my To-Read List now :) Thanks for a fantastic suggestion!
Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Terry Pratchett

sacapsie

Post by sacapsie » January 17th, 2019, 6:24 pm

Is it okay to revive a 4-year-old thread? I love this book, and I was hoping to listen to it as an audiobook but see that it has not been recorded yet. It's a rather well-kept secret, I guess!

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » January 17th, 2019, 6:57 pm

This sounds fantastic! I'll take a look at it when I get home.

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » January 17th, 2019, 7:54 pm

The hard thing about this book, I think, is that there are no chapter breaks, and hardly any section breaks. I think I counted three, maybe four, breaks in the whole book. I think I will read it at length and then decide whether to turn it into a group project or (possibly, if I like it enough) even read it myself.

sacapsie

Post by sacapsie » January 19th, 2019, 2:12 pm

There are two halves, with two points of view--so it could lend itself to a collaboration by two readers.

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW » January 19th, 2019, 5:37 pm

Oh jeez. I desperately want someone to record this book.
Current Projects:
Arqtiq (Anna Adolph)
Prison Memoirs of an Anarchist (Alexander Berkman) [Group Project]
Day Dreams (Rudolph Valentino) [Group Project]