Request for more LGBT content

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

The first page of that checklist has a note at the bottom saying that its entire contents are copyright Marion Zimmer Bradley, May 1960.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Peter Why wrote:The first page of that checklist has a note at the bottom saying that its entire contents are copyright Marion Zimmer Bradley, May 1960.
True, but a lot of the SF on Gutenberg comes under a special "copyright not renewed" clause - which according to PG, this does. Not that I think a checklist would make for a very interesting recording, IMHO!
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

Elizabby wrote:
Peter Why wrote:The first page of that checklist has a note at the bottom saying that its entire contents are copyright Marion Zimmer Bradley, May 1960.
True, but a lot of the SF on Gutenberg comes under a special "copyright not renewed" clause - which according to PG, this does. Not that I think a checklist would make for a very interesting recording, IMHO!
Well, my first LV recording was a checklist of books.

Then again, I'm a librarian. We like that sort of thing. 8)
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

More generally, of course, my point was that the checklist contains titles of "variant" sexuality from medieval and Nineteenth Century sources.
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales
adonis

Post by adonis »

I'm struck by the idea of "variant" sexuality. What better word? I tried to join an LGBT book group at our library here because I liked the books they had on offer (Orlando, The Persian Boy etc.) but I was asked cautiously was I gay and I had to answer "No" and was told that would only confuse the group - though it might have gone down fine in the metropolis (metro-sexual, I think they call it). It begs the question what a person is looking for in a text - I was told they weren't actually reading the texts that were on display, they had chosen others. If, for example, I had been told they were reading Djuna Barnes' Nightwood I would have hammered down the door. I've enjoyed reading Clemence Dane, Jane Bowles etc. (especially Jane Bowles) - should I not because they're lesbian? Then again, there's what is called "queering the canon" - discovering material that is there that the general populace never would. I thought of making a mention of the fact here that, in The Beast In The Jungle which I read recently the central male character consistently refers to himself as queer, and his female friend as an appropriate cover for his secret - his impression of his secret, however, is not that he is "queer". I was also very struck by the query, do women benefit from talking about male gay sexuality (Iris Murdoch and Mary Renault are mentioned) because of the distancing effect? (For what it's worth, when asked about this aspect of her writing on radio, Iris Murdoch replied that inside she was male; and the male she was was gay and sado-masochist. I merely, roughly, quote.) I was still more struck by the fifties SF writers that got in (that's Marion Zimmer Bradley, I suppose). The strange sexuality of so much of Theodore Sturgeon is mentioned - there's so much more in this line that men were doing at this time against the strong constraints of conventionality, I think of Cordwainer Smith, or Charles Harness' The Rose.

Tony A.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

i am just stumbling over athe reference,
"Mademoiselle Giraud, My Wife, the controversial 1891 French novel with lesbian themes by Adolphe Belot".

google books has it, but other than that i couldnt find a scan. might be interesting to someone.
Carolin
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

A stumble by me:

Hilda "H.D." Doolittle (September 10, 1886 – September 27, 1961) was an American poet, ... She published under the pen name of H.D.....
She befriended Sigmund Freud during the 1930s, and became his patient in order to understand and express her bisexuality.[3] H.D. married once, and undertook a number of relationships with both men and women. She was unapologetic about her sexuality, and thus became an icon for both the LGBT rights and feminist movements when her poems, plays, letters and essays were rediscovered during the 1970s and 1980s.

Works:
Poetry collections
Sea Garden (1916)
The God (1917)
Translations (1920)
Hymen (1921)

Prose

Palimpsest (1921)
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

pulling up this thread in connection with the staff picks :thumbs:

im looking at the poetry, lets see if there is anything we can do..
Carolin
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Just out of curiosity--

What would be Librivox's policy on the works of Edward Prime-Stevenson? Some of his more "coded" works of gay fiction (where homoeroticism is suggested, but never fully disclosed) are easy to find on Archive.org. But his more overt and openly gay novels -- Imre: A Memorandum and The Intersexes -- were published anonymously and with ridiculously small print runs. Both were published before 1922, but I cannot find an original print of either... a byproduct of the small print run, obviously. Broadview released a really good facsimile copy of Imre, but I'm not sure if Librivox would allow someone to record from that.

Either way, someone should really do Prime-Stevenson's Left to Themselves as a solo project. It's available online and definitely deserves inclusion on this list, regardless of how "implicit" its central romance might be.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

I just republished an article by lesbian author / journalist Djuna Barnes from The Double-Dealer, 1920 in a new anthology of women's work (see my post in Off-Topic, My PD Anthologies -- someone please record it for Short Works) then went a-hunting on GoogleBooks for more. Ran into this fellow, Guido Bruno https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guido_Bruno who published a couple of boho NYC journals 1915-16. Not clear if he was gay or just curious about LGB writers of the era, like Barnes. Online Books has this listing of his available works, however:
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/lookupname?key=Bruno%2C%20Guido%2C%201884-1942
This profile of him also mentions some of his accomplishment.
https://strangeflowers.wordpress.com/2015/07/12/brunos-century/
He was the first to publish Hart Crane, then just 17 ...In January 1916 the byline of Djuna Barnes first appeared in Bruno’s Weekly.
My previous LV work: Bellona Times
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

https://archive.org/details/LAVENDERLIT2
This is a shorter sequel to a project I coordinated two years ago. Feel free to build a project out of it. 8-)
My previous LV work: Bellona Times
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

ChuckW wrote:Either way, someone should really do Prime-Stevenson's Left to Themselves as a solo project. It's available online and definitely deserves inclusion on this list, regardless of how "implicit" its central romance might be.
FYI.

I've obtained a copyright clearance for this one and plan to run it through DP and submit the ebook to PG. Once completed, I may solo the project here (and once one of my 2 in-progress projects are completed).

Don
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
adonis

Post by adonis »

Re: Lavender Lit. (I knew a man called Lavender.) Well, I could do you Magdalen Walks. I have a walk there that was named after me (or possibly vice versa, I forget which). I tried to watch Moonlight free online and was practically malwared to death. Possibly was.

Sincerely,
Tony Addison.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

DACSoft wrote:
ChuckW wrote:Either way, someone should really do Prime-Stevenson's Left to Themselves as a solo project. It's available online and definitely deserves inclusion on this list, regardless of how "implicit" its central romance might be.
FYI.

I've obtained a copyright clearance for this one and plan to run it through DP and submit the ebook to PG. Once completed, I may solo the project here (and once one of my 2 in-progress projects are completed).

Don
Wonderful! Let me know when you want to record this, Don. I'd love to DPL.
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

I've created a long, rambling thread about Edward Prime-Stevenson's The Intersexes, for anyone interested. Check it out, if you'd like to take this on as a group project: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64051
PROJECTS