Frederick Law Olmsted, landscape architect, 1822-1903

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I was just reading an article on the BBC website about the quintessentially British park, and saw this:
Birkenhead Park was the UK's first publicly funded civic park in 1847. Three years later an American visitor was awestruck by what he saw.

"Five minutes of admiration, and a few more spent studying the manner in which art had been employed to obtain from nature so much beauty, and I was ready to admit that in democratic America there was nothing to be thought of as comparable with this People's Garden," landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted later recalled in a book.

He took his experience away with him and built Central Park. Arguably the world's most famous, enshrined in a thousand films, it has British park DNA.
This is the book mentioned in the article:

Frederick Law Olmsted, landscape architect, 1822-1903. Edited by Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr. (1870-1957) and Theodora Kimball Hubbard (1887-1935). Published 1922.
http://archive.org/details/fredericklawolms00olm

About 39,000 words.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

This looks good! I can't solo it, but I will put it on my list to launch as a little group project, if no one else takes it up before then.
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
christomc

Post by christomc »

10 years on, and I'd like to take this on solo.....
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Before you do, please complete a 1-minute test and contribute a chapter or two to a group project. :) More info on this below -

Newbie Guide to Recording 

Even if you are experienced with recording elsewhere, please send in a short test recording to check that all the technical settings meet LibriVox requirements before recording a full chapter. 

1-minute test
Jo