The Seven-Branched Candlestick by Gilbert W. Gabriel

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Here is the first page of the prolog:
"
"Years of Plenty" was the name an Englishman recently gave to a book of his school days. My own years of secondary school and college were different from
his, by far, but no less full.

I shall only say by way of preface that they numbered seven. There were two of them at high school, one at a military school on the Hudson, and four at
our city's university.

Seven in all. Because they were not altogether happy, I have no right to think of them as lean years. For each one of them meant much to me—means as much
now as I look back and am chastened and strengthened by their memory. Each is as a lighted candle in the dark of the past that I look back upon. And I
like to imagine that, since there are seven of them, they are in the seven-branched candlestick which is so stately and so reverent a symbol of my Faith."
This book tells the story of the school days of an american jue. It is written so beautifuly, and it is sad. I would love to see it recorded for Librivox. It was copyrighted in 1917 and published in 1925. The author died in 1952. My fingers are crossed that it is pd (at least in the US). Here is a link to the etext:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/33793
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.