Myths of the Norsemen, Book of the Epic by Helene A. Guerber

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search.html/?default_prefix=author_id&sort_order=downloads&query=5313

That is actually a link to her works on Gutenberg, because I wanted people to be able to see if there were others that might interest them more. I would like to see Myths of the Norsemen on librivox because their mythology has had a profound impact on Western literature and entertainment ( See World of Warcraft Wrath of the Lich King, Baldurs Gate, and more obviously, Thor the move). Gueber's work on these myths and reflections on society is really great, and she includes many beautiful quotes from the eddas and other ancient texts. Its very easy to follow and understand, broken down into very sensible subjects.

I would also like to see Book of the Epic, which may appeal to a wider audience because its a comprehensive essay not just about Norse epic tales (Sigmund, Beowulf), but also covers Homeric tradition, Gilgamesh, and others from around the world. Its a really excellent essay on the cult of heroes.

I originally intended to do these as a solo project, but they are just so long, and I really dont want to get bogged down and never end up finishing it. So I thought I'd see if anyone else were interested in recording (and cough, MC'ing and all that jazz, because I just dont feel coordinated enough :oops: ).

There, I meant to write a short little thing, and ended up rambling excitedly. Just get that way with books, you know? :wink:
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

Happy to help with Book of the Epic.
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

mssadeghipour

Post by mssadeghipour »

I have read this book before and absolutely loved the compilation of Norse mythology. I would be happy to help with anything.
jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

Unfortunately, I do not have the time to start BCing a project. I might give it a go in winter if we've finalized our move. I'll make sure to let you know! Thanks for your interest.
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!
Talon

Post by Talon »

I wil contribute to this if it is still going?
Trotsa

Post by Trotsa »

Looks like it never started Talon. Sorry... :D Maybe once you have some experience around here, you can do it yourself... or maybe someone will start it later on.
Trotsa

[/size]I am an imperfect person loved by a PERFECT God.