Seneca's Dialogues on anger and other topics

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

Currently I’m reading a (copyrighted :() Dutch translation of the Dialogues by the 1st century stoic philosopher Lucius Annaeus Seneca – more precisely the one on anger. Very interesting! It would certainly be a great addition to the collection of Librivox.

Seneca is already in the Librivox catalogue, nearly everything in German though. Only one English recording completed and one ongoing so far!

Anyone who would like to pick up the above mentioned chapters on anger (appr. 110 pages @ link), or something else? Or perhaps a group project could be set up? The book on openlibrary.org contains all Dialogues and it is in the public domain (it was used for the one recording so far, Of the shortness of life).
Do you live in Europe, Canada, Australia, ... any country where death date of author determines if a book is in the Public Domain? Come to legamus.eu to record books published in 1923 or later, written by authors dead since >70 years!
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hi, kattekliek

I intend to bring more Seneca into the catalogue at some point. I am still in doubt as how to do it, though. So far, people have tackled the short dialogues in individual projects; one could go on doing that, or try a collection of them. The Letters to Lucilius, though, should probably stand as a collection, probably in two or more volumes.
Leni
=================
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

One small project is ongoing right now (group, fully subscribed). We could see how that goes and perhaps make a new group project of not too long letters? Anyway, I myself would really like to read Seneca for LV in Dutch, not in English (except perhaps 1 or 2 sections in a group project) - I'm more comfortable and efficient with reading in my mother tongue, and I think it's more pleasant for the listeners too. However, haven't found a decent Dutch PD-translation so far. The newest usable would be of early 19th century; a nice translation of 1917 is PD in US only - the translator having died in my own year of birth I can only do it when I'm 70 years old myself (34 now, and I don't have that amount of patience ;)) Not really stoic, but perhaps before that time I'll get so frustrated about it that I'll either take a long holiday to the US to do the recording and uploading, or will do the English version anyway :lol:
Do you live in Europe, Canada, Australia, ... any country where death date of author determines if a book is in the Public Domain? Come to legamus.eu to record books published in 1923 or later, written by authors dead since >70 years!
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

The project that's going on right now was the one ongoing before, the soloist disappeared and it's now being done as a group project. Do you think we should try the Letters next? I will check on their size and figure out how many would fit one volume - I don't think we should have all 124 in one single project!
Leni
=================
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

Leni wrote:Do you think we should try the Letters next?
Yes, I think it would be very nice! However, the sections should not be too long; the information in them is very dense and together with long sections (say, 3000 words and more), that's very strenuous reading.
I will check on their size and figure out how many would fit one volume - I don't think we should have all 124 in one single project!
Certainly not! :shock:
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

Leni wrote:So far, people have tackled the short dialogues in individual projects; one could go on doing that, or try a collection of them. The Letters to Lucilius, though, should probably stand as a collection, probably in two or more volumes.
I noticed that the latest project, on peace of mind, has been finalised (and I downloaded it immediately :D). Actually, I think that small collections, each on a particular topic would be very good - both for being able to find readers, and later on for the listeners to find exactly what they are looking for. The German Seneca entries in the LV-catalogue are like that.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

kattekliek wrote: I noticed that the latest project, on peace of mind, has been finalised (and I downloaded it immediately :D). Actually, I think that small collections, each on a particular topic would be very good - both for being able to find readers, and later on for the listeners to find exactly what they are looking for. The German Seneca entries in the LV-catalogue are like that.
Its not a reader that you need its an English redear :D (he read all the German ones). Maybe Leni you could make them a "group" , I've done that with some of the heavier and longer projects , so they are catalogued in parts , but can be found by searching for the whole ?