Seckatary Hawkins books by Robert Schulkers

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Just wondering if anyone is even remotely familiar with the "Seckatary Hawkins" books written by Robert Schulkers? They are about a fictional boys riverside club in early/mid last century - adventure/mystery books for kids. These were originally serialized in newspapers, and then published in book form over a period of years.

There are at least a couple of the books out of copyright, but I was only able to find one online: http://www.archive.org/details/redrunners00schuiala That being said, they are probably more of a locally known series (and by collectors who grew up reading them ~ the books can go for a pretty penny :-) )

Here's a link to a website about the series if anyone is interested. http://seckatary.com/index.html

If there is any interest in the book as a group project I would be willing to BC. ( Or if anybody wants to do it as a solo, go right ahead. I don't feel inclined to solo it myself. :-) )
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
jeanie1914

Post by jeanie1914 »

I'll read a couple of chapters for you, when you get the project up and going. Love those chldren's books from that period! :)

jeanie
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Hi Jeanie,

I'll let you know when/if I put it up as a project. :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Well, almost 10 years on, I decided to actually do one as a group project: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=80412

(And after all those years, I still remembered that I posted this as a suggestion... :lol: )
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

It looks like the Red Runners is the only one out of copywrite, but a bunch of them will be PD in a few years -

The Red Runners (1922)
Seckatary Hawkins in Cuba (1925)
Stormie The Dog Stealer (1925)
Stoner's Boy (1926)
The Gray Ghost (1926)
Knights of the Square Table (1926)
Ching Toy (1926)
The Chinese Coin (1926)
The Yellow Y (1926)
Herman the Fiddler (1930)
The Ghost of Lake Tapaho (1932)
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Actually, the "Seckatary Hawkins in Cuba" was originally published in 1921. I have seen the later date as well, but I have a copy and it says 1921. Chronologically it comes before "The Red Runners".

The problem is finding scans. Hathi does have one that will be PD next year.
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks