The Master Key System by Charles F. Haanel

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
mariob_1998

Post by mariob_1998 »

I'd like to solo this book. It's not in the Gutenberg catalog, but I found the text here. That site has a disclaimer at the bottom that reads:
THE MASTER KEY SYSTEM IN TWENTY-FOUR PARTS WITH QUESTIONNAIRE AND GLOSSARY By CHARLES F.HAANEL Saint Louis, MO: Inland Printery [1919]. This text has been reformatted for the web at Hinduwebsite.com by Jayaram V. This text is not an exact reproduction of the original edition  published in 1919. The title pages, page numbers, contents and index pages of the book are not included in this electronic version. Those who are interested in the entire version of the text may refer the original copy. This text is in the public domain in the US as it was published before 1923.
Does LibriVox only accept books from the Gutenberg catalog, or is this one okay to record?

Also, I know I've yet to do my 1 minute test, but I'm just waiting for my new microphone to be delivered.
“Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” William Shakespeare
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

You can record books from sites other than Gutenberg, but the text has to be identical to the public domain original. Gutenberg has a fairly stringent copyright clearance process, so it's a convenient place to find books that are known to be public domain (in the US). If the website you linked did not change the body of the text at all, then it would be OK to use. However, I would be hesitant based on their copyright disclaimer. Omitting the table of contents and the title page wouldn't affect the PD-ness of the text if that's all they did, but I'd be concerned that part of the text might have been left out or changed as well. I would want to be able to check it against the original, and unfortunately I did not see the original on a quick Google search (it wasn't on Google Books or at Archive). Can you find a copy of the original? If so, you could read from that. If not, perhaps you could email the website and ask if they made any changes other than the ones they listed.
Laurie Anne
mariob_1998

Post by mariob_1998 »

I think I found the original on google books here. This is good to go, correct?
“Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” William Shakespeare
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Copyright 1919 -- yes, that's fine to use! I don't know why my search missed it. Probably I had "system" in the title.

We usually suggest that new readers do a few shorter recordings before starting on a solo so they can see how much time it takes to record, edit, upload etc and will know if the work involved fits their available free time. And as you mentioned, a test recording is a very very good idea to check your technical settings. After those things, when you are ready to start you can post your project in the Launch Pad (be sure to read the whole sticky about starting a solo, and fill out the whole solos template -- this is easier after you've recorded a few other things so you will be familiar with the ID tag and file naming schemes etc). Have fun!
Laurie Anne
mariob_1998

Post by mariob_1998 »

I really appreciate your help. I do intend to make a few short recordings in the poetry section before I get the ball rolling on this book.

Thank you very much :D
mariob_1998

Post by mariob_1998 »

I perused the book and turns out that it's just a collection of testimonials from people who had taken the course. Quite a disappointment. After further research I came upon this website. It clearly states the text is in the public domain.
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Looks like your link at Sacred Texts is a good one to use. They clearly state the content is in the public domain and you are free to use it. List this site as the text source when you post the project in the Launch Pad. Have fun.
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
kluelos

Post by kluelos »

I do want to point out that there are several existing audiobook recordings of "The Master Key System" in existence already, some better, some worse.

The one I'm listening to is quite good, though not perfect, but is one of three different recordings easily found on the web and entirely free.

While I don't want to discourage anyone, audiobooks that are already widely available for free, probably are not the best use of scarce resources.
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

At LibriVox it's all about the readers. If a reader wants to record a book, it doesn't matter if there are already other recordings out there, free or not free. Even if there is already version here at LibriVox, or 2 or 3, another version is always welcome. We call this the choice of voices - something you don't get anywhere else.

Welcome to LibriVox :D
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

There has been a renewed interest in the so-called Laws of Attraction or manifestation in recent years, and this book remains popular in reprints.

The edition linked above is actually an extended advertisement for the book, which lists the 24 parts (originally available as a correspondence course) and a lot of testimonial letters from people who responded positively to the course.

I did find an actual book edition that includes all the sections as published in 1919:

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Master_Key_System_in_Twenty_four_Par/tdclAQAAMAAJ

Haanel also wrote a second book on the same theme, Mental Chemistry, published in 1922: https://www.google.com/books/edition/Mental_Chemistry/g4o3AQAAMAAJ

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai