Menno Simons - Complete Works

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
CrossReach

Post by CrossReach »

Yes, that's the very same one I have.
countryboy

Post by countryboy »

annise wrote:The book is on Archive -is it the same one?

http://www.archive.org/details/completeworksofm00menn so it's PD status seems to be OK

Anne
If it's on archive.org, it's public domain, right?
CrossReach

Post by CrossReach »

I will contact the publishers direct. I have a hard copy in my home. I will ask if it is copyrighted. I don't believe it is though. It's well over 140 years old.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

countryboy wrote:If it's on archive.org, it's public domain, right?
Not everything that is on archive.org is in the Public Domain in the USA. First of all, you must check the license on the page to check that the person uploading claims that it is PD, and then you must check the publication date. I have definitely found things uploaded from Canada, for instance, which are PD in Canada but not in the USA.

In this case, it is the 1871 Funk edition, so is definitely PD.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
CrossReach

Post by CrossReach »

So where do we go from here?
How do we move this into production?
I have never done any recording yet I would like to be involved in this project.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

There needs to be someone who is willing to commit to start the project up and to co-ordinate it until it is finished - a long term commitment of probably a year or so, because there is a limited pool of readers who are interested in reading non-fiction and religious works.

In this case, it is a book of about 200,000 words divided into many short un-numbered segments, and the initial preparation (deciding how many sections to divide it into, and where to break) will take hours in itself. So it is going to need someone who is very dedicated and interested. An alternative would be to treat each separate book as a separate project, which would mean they would get into the catalogue more quickly - but it still needs a co-ordinator to take it on.

As you will see there are hundreds of books suggested here, and some get adopted quickly, some don't. No-one has yet come forward to take on this commitment, but patience is a virtue, and someone will, in time.

Ruth
CrossReach

Post by CrossReach »

Could I just read the whole book myself?
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Of course you can! You could do it as a solo. You can read more about starting a solo work in this post.

It is a big book - it will end up as something like 25 hours finished audio, which probably means 100 hours of work altogether, once you take editing etc. into account. It really does help if you have done some shorter recordings before setting sail single-handed across the Atlantic. It gives you an idea of how much time is involved in recording, editing, uploading etc.

We certainly suggest that you do a short test recording, to ensure that your settings, volume, background noise are OK. There's nothing worse than recording for an hour and then finding that there is some irritating technical thing that is wrong. ;)

Ruth
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Perhaps to start with, you could solo one of the parts of the book instead of the complete works. That would get your feet wet, and get it "out there" for others faster than if you tackled the whole thing as one project.

Up to you, of course. But I thought I'd suggest it. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine