[COMPLETE] Dialogo dei massimi sistemi by Galilei - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
vitomar

Post by vitomar »

Dialogo dei massimi sistemi by Galileo Galilei (1564-1642) .

This project is now complete! All files can be downloaded from the catalog page here:
https://librivox.org/dialogo-dei-massimi-sistemi-by-galileo-galilei/

This book is a scientific essay written in the form of a dialogue by the Italian scientist Galileo Galilei in order to explain to a large public his position about the cosmological controversy opposing him to the Catholic Church. This text, originally written in Italian, is at the root of the scientific revolution. (Summary by Vito Marangelli)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.archive.org/details/idialoghidigalil00galiuoft
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Standard Proof-listening

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

(Introduzione)
    • "Titolo/titel di Dialogo dei massimi sistemi. - Questa è una registrazione Librivox. Tutte le regisrazioni Librivox sono di dominio pubblico. Per maggiori informazioni o per diventare volontari visistate il sito: librivox PUNTO org"
    • Se vuoi, puoi dire:
      "Registrazione di [il tuo nome]"
    • Poi devi dire:
      "Dialogo dei massimi sistemi, di Galileo Galilei. Titolo/titel"

Alla fine della registrazione
    • Alla fine di ogni sezione, devi dire:
      Fine del Titolo/titel"
    • Se vuoi, puoi dire:
      "Registrazione di [il tuo nome], [città, il tuo blog, podcast, indirizzo web]"
    • Alla fine del libro, devi dire in aggiunta:
      "Fine di Dialogo dei massimi sistemi, di Galileo Galilei."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  7. Example filename
    dialogomassimisistemi_##_galilei_128kb.mp3, for example: dialogomassimisistemi_01_galilei_128kb.mp3
  8. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: Availle
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by vitomar on January 17th, 2010, 1:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Vito Marangelli

Post by Availle »

Ohmygoodness! :shock: I LOVE this! :clap: Oh, I wish I'd speak Italian! :cry:

Vito, this is quite an ambitious first project (I think it has about 500 pages or so), and usually we encourage new readers to record some smaller pieces first, so they get a feeling for how big their commitment actually is.

If you feel confident to record in English, there are two sections on Galileo (and many others) open in my project here: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22600

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you! On the contrary, I am always happy whenever somebody picks up anything science! :thumbs: I just want to make sure you know exactly what you're getting yourself into (WARNING: librivox is addictive!) :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
vitomar

Post by vitomar »

Your project is fascinating. I looked at it! However, I don't think to be able to participate because I am not English native speaking. Thus, my pronounciation could be imperfect. (As a matter of fact, it would be better than that of the guys which have recorded the first chapter of the Ulysses by Joyce on Librivox!).
As regarding my project in Italian, it's just 158 pages on my edition).

Thanks.

Vito
:)
Vito Marangelli

Post by Availle »

I'm happy I did not discourage you! :D

We are usually not concerned about accents. The general idea is: "If you're understandable in the language you want to record, go for it!"

I am surprised your edition is so short. On archive.org, most of Galileos Two Systems are about 500 pages, apparently they span four days of discussions. Or maybe those are not the original, but later extended versions?

Could you please post a link to your text? This is important for several reasons: a) We usually put the text online together with the recording for the convenience of the listener. b) We have to make sure the text is in the public domain, i.e., published before 1923 (author's death is not an issue here :) ). Later editions may not be 1:1 reproductions of the original text, they may have new introductions, a somewhat modernized language... In that case they get a new copyright and cannot be used here.

I'm sorry, I am sounding discouraging again... :oops: But it is better to make sure of the copyright before you spend a lot of time recording, so we don't find out half way through that we cannot put it out there and your work was wasted...

Vito, again, I LOVE THIS PROJECT! :9: I hope to see you doing it!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
vitomar

Post by vitomar »

Ava, you were right. I checked my edition and found that it is an incomplete edition. However, I have managed to find a public domain text in the Progetto Manuzio website (http://www.liberliber.it/biblioteca/g/galilei/dialogo_sopra_i_due_massimi_sistemi_del_mondo_tolemaico__etc/pdf/dialog_p.pdf) also available in rtf or plain text..
As a matter of fact I have extended the project schedule until December 2010. It would be interesting to propose a collaborative project, especially considering the 'dialogue' nature of the text (thus, it would be nice to have different readers as characters), but this is impossible for my location. Thus, I am forced to stick on a solo project. I have already recorded the dedication and premise, but I understand that until the project gains a MC attention and filing process, I can not upload my recordings.
I have also considered the possibility of recording the chapter 'Galileo and Telescope' of your project, but I am not sure to be able to do that.
Thanks for your attention.
Vito Marangelli

Post by Availle »

Vito, are you absolutely sure the text you linked to is in the public domain?

It says on the second page: TRATTO DA [...] Torino, 1970 (which would be too late for us), and if you follow the link just above: http://www.liberliber.it/biblioteca/licenze/
it says something about a creative commons licence. Creative Commons is NOT the same as public domain! Unfortunately I don't speak Italian at all, so I can't make sure about the copyright... :(

SOME ADMIN HELP NEEDED HERE, PLEASE!!

There are some editions of the Two Systems on archive.org, that are definitely in the public domain, for example:
http://www.archive.org/details/idialoghidigali00seghgoog
http://www.archive.org/details/idialoghidigalil00galiuoft

If you're just interested in the dialogue, you can leave out everything else, but again, those are the ones with the 500+ pages... EDIT: I just checked, your textlink also contains all four 'giornatas', so it seems to be the full text as well.

I know what you mean about the dialogue aspect, it would be great to do it like this. In fact, you don't need everybody present with you when you do the recording. You just need two more people that record 'their' parts (somewhere, sometime) and in the end, we simply do some cutting and pasting. This is how we do our dramas, and it works quite well. However, I don't know how many speakers of Italian we have on here, but you can always do some recruiting of your own :wink:

Again, I hope you go through with this wonderful project...

Oh, it is probably a good idea to post a test recording, so we can make sure your technical settings are ok. You can use the recordings you already did...
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
neerajanagarajan

Post by neerajanagarajan »

SOME RIGHTS RESERVED is generally not our cup of tea. :(
icyjumbo

Post by icyjumbo »

I'd have to agree that we can't use the liberliber.it licensed text, as its license appears to be pretty conclusively Creative Commons 2.5, based on http://www.liberliber.it/biblioteca/licenze/

If you don't feel able to use the Gutenberg text for any reason, then we'll have to try to find another text that is provably public domain in the United States.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

I'd be willing to MC this book, either as a solo or collaborative, provided we can agree on a Public Domain text as source.

We have at least two other Italian speakers active in LV at the moment: Riccardo and Davide. I don't know if they would be interested in this project, but it doesn't hurt asking.

Anyway, Vitomar, would you be ok with using a text such as the ones in archive.org (like this one, for example: http://www.archive.org/details/idialoghidigali00seghgoog)?
Leni
=================
vitomar

Post by vitomar »

Thanks, Folks!
I am new here. But I am pleased by the quick reactivity you showed to my project, notwithstanding the non-English nature of the book.
I checked the links to archive.org, but the first one is the text in French, while the second one, in Italian, seems to have some problems. The pdf is heavy, but the BW format seems right; the full-text (which I would prefer) is a very bad OCR with lots of 'garbage' and unintelligible words; there is a long preface and Galileo biography, which are not needed. However, I can consider this edition. In the meantime, I will look for another public domain source.
I will also post my two recordings (the dedication and the premise), but How? (is an attachment sufficient?). I would appreciate detailed instructions.
I am sorry to say that my work will slow down, due to an incident I had on the Christmas Day night with my contact lenses: I am single-eyed like a pirate, with my bad eye left.
Thanks everybody for assistance.
Vito Marangelli

Post by Availle »

HI Vito,

great you are still on track! (Sorry about your contact lenses!)

The first text is in Italian too! It seems that them Americans don't know them languages... :roll:

As I said before, you can leave out the preface/intro and Galileo biography if you wish so - that would shorten the text by about 50 pages, 10 percent or so...

For your test, please follow the instructions here: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=318669#318669

One file is plenty, it's not an audition, it's just to check that your technical specifications are ok.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
vitomar

Post by vitomar »

I just uploaded my files as test_vitomar.mp3 and test2_vitomar.mp3 by the uploader, but I did not receive any link to files. Are you able to find them?
Vito Marangelli

Post by Availle »

vitomar wrote:I just uploaded my files as test_vitomar.mp3 and test2_vitomar.mp3 by the uploader, but I did not receive any link to files. Are you able to find them?
The first one seems to be here:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tests/test_vitomar.mp3

and the second one is here:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tests/test2_vitomar.mp3

The links appear somewhere between Step 1 and Step 2. You'll have to copy/paste them manually into your posts.

EDIT: I finally had time to listen to your first test - the technial specifications are right on, including the ID 3 tags, and you have a wonderful voice... :9:

I guess you did not do any editing to this yet?
First of all, we'll need at most 1 sec of silence in the beginning and 5 secs at the end (10 for recordings over 30 min), but you know that.
Your recording is a bit on the quiet side. Two possible remedies: turn up the input volume further (the right slider on the top) or use Effect - Normalize in Audacity. The peaks should be somewhere between 0.5 and 1 on the scale at the left.
Also, there is some distracting, irregular 'pinging' noise over your recording, check out 4:37. If you can find out what it is and remove the cause it would be great, I think it might be a bit difficult to clean (but I'm not an expert here).

Besides that, it seems a bit strange to have the librivoxy stuff in English instead of Italian. :D Usually for a 'foreign' project, we have everything in said language. There is another recording in Italian here: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21626
have a look at what he did regarding the disclaimer. I'm sure he does something similar for the endings as well, but I have not checked.

:roll: I'm being terribly bitchy again, ain't I? :oops: I just hope I'm helpful and not off-putting... :?
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
vitomar

Post by vitomar »

Your comments are helpful, Ava! If the job must be done, it must be done at the best.
I have recorded the text without any editing, because it was a test. I realized that the volume must be increased, and your suggestion is useful. I use Audacity and a Trust USB headphone-microphone device on my MacAir. For the disclaimer in English, I was not able to find the Italian version (that I already found on the web, but was unable to retrace it). Regarding my voice, it was not at the best because I have a little cold, and the quality is 'nose-voice'. I would like to master the editing stuff in Audacity, but it takes time.

I thank you again for your comments. And don't fear to be discouraging. I am hard-shelled ( and I know that comments are in the interest of the quality). I discovered LV audiobooks on my iPhone, and I found this activity so wonderfully generous that I decided to join and take my little stone to the wall (if I can).

Regards, Vito
Vito Marangelli

Post by Leni »

Hi, Vito

I am glad to know you're willing to listen to comments and learn. :) Thanks, Availle, for all the help too!

We currently do not have a template for solo projectsin Italian, but we have a template for Collaborative. As the disclaimer is also there in Italian, it might help you: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Project_Templates_for_BCs_Italian

I will go ahead and add my initials and name to the first post, since no other admin expressed interest in MCing this project. I think we need to have the text source chosen and the intros decided etc before I add the project to the database, though.

Availle, would you be interested in PLing this book?
Leni
=================