Self-Taught Language Books / Developing a Language Resource

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Right now I still don't feel up to recording, as I'm still figuring out how to use Audacity, but once I've managed to learn this, I could help in projects involving learning materials for my native Polish.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
nazanin

Post by nazanin »

This is a wonderful collection indeed! I got carried away checking out all these treasures :) I'm a linguist myself with a major in Persian, so i would love to record something in Persian, i just need to choose which book and get a decent microphone :D those books on linguistics must be very useful, too!
Julia
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

nazanin wrote:This is a wonderful collection indeed! I got carried away checking out all these treasures :) I'm a linguist myself with a major in Persian, so i would love to record something in Persian, i just need to choose which book and get a decent microphone :D those books on linguistics must be very useful, too!
That's great to hear Nazanin. I look forward to your contributions. Persian is a wonderful language I'd love to see more material here. :)

Best wishes,
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

"The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens."
- Baha'u'llah
See: http://bahai.org/

Some Answered Questions.
The Promulgation of Universal Peace, Vol. I.
An Elementary Greek Grammar.
jgrape

Post by jgrape »

Hello! I just published my test recording. I used to speak Japanese, but I've fallen out of it, so I'd love to take on Japanese Self-Taught. I know it's long, but I didn't see a shorter work on Japanese grammar and I think it would be more manageable than trying to read something that was originally published in Japanese.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I don't see your test recording anywhere, jgrape? You need to let us know by posting the URL in Listeners and Editors Wanted. :)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

jgrape wrote:Hello! I just published my test recording. I used to speak Japanese, but I've fallen out of it, so I'd love to take on Japanese Self-Taught. I know it's long, but I didn't see a shorter work on Japanese grammar and I think it would be more manageable than trying to read something that was originally published in Japanese.
That's great. I look forward to your recordings. Make sure to post the link to your test recording though.

Best wishes,
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

- Baha'u'llah

Some Answered Questions.
jgrape

Post by jgrape »

Sorry! I did post a recording under "Test recording jgrape".
prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

My goodness that is a big list! :shock:

I totally agree with you. This would be awesome. I would love to help out in any way I can.
Patrick

Enjoy Tom Swift? Perhaps you would enjoy a book about him meeting up with some Diamond Makers
Or perhaps you'd rather talk about music with children.
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

prwells32 wrote:My goodness that is a big list! :shock:

I totally agree with you. This would be awesome. I would love to help out in any way I can.
That's great. Do feel free to volunteer for the latest volume of the LibriVox Language Learning Collection which is in the Short Works section: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34447

Regards,
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

- Baha'u'llah

Some Answered Questions.
prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

Will do.
Patrick

Enjoy Tom Swift? Perhaps you would enjoy a book about him meeting up with some Diamond Makers
Or perhaps you'd rather talk about music with children.
jgrape

Post by jgrape »

OK, I've been cleared for launch and would like to try Japanese Self-Taught! I didn't see any Japanese on the newer list, so I'm assuming it's still open here?
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

jgrape wrote:OK, I've been cleared for launch and would like to try Japanese Self-Taught! I didn't see any Japanese on the newer list, so I'm assuming it's still open here?
Hi.

It's great that you want to record Japanese Self-Taught. :D However, before you take on a solo project, where you would be the Book Coordinator, you might want to contribute a section to an existing collection in order to get some practice. I'd suggest you find a chapter or section from a language learning book and contribute it to the LibriVox Language Learning Collection Vol. 004:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34447

:)
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

- Baha'u'llah

Some Answered Questions.
elainesilva

Post by elainesilva »

Hello! I really love this thread and had I not been in my last two years of study in Uni, I would have loved to record one of the books. Anyway, I've just seen this book, Language: An Introduction to the study of speech by Edward Sapir, one of the proponents of Sapir-Whorf hypothesis- http://archive.org/details/languageanintrod00sapi
Just trying to add to the database for future recording. As a Linguistics student [soon to be linguists hopefully], this books is really helpful for beginners.
Lyn Silva

“Never say good-bye because saying good-bye means going away and going away means forgetting.” -J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku »

Piotrek81 wrote:Right now I still don't feel up to recording, as I'm still figuring out how to use Audacity, but once I've managed to learn this, I could help in projects involving learning materials for my native Polish.
Piotrek, I am extremely interested in this idea. I didn't see anything like this in the catalogue when I searched for "Polski" or "Polish." Can I assume that there isn't anything currently underway that you know of? Are you still interested in a Polish/English project, perhaps? I could supply the English if you will supply the Polish. We would have to decide on what would suit us - perhaps a phrase book? Something (relatively) short? For myself, I should probably not start another major project until January or February. Still, I would be delighted to help get this going.

I spent two years trying to teach myself Polish from an audiotape set when I was in college. Sadly, the main remnant from that effort is I can sing "Sto lat," which I do enthusiastically at every birthday party. I also amused all my Polish friends greatly.

(By the way, Poznan is my favorite city in continental Europe. I spent almost a month there several years ago. It's my dream to return.)

What do you think?

~ Chessie Joy

EDIT: removed repeated phrase
~ Chessie Joy
sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku »

Part of being a "language resource" is providing stories, poems, and other works in the target language to listen to, for the practice and enjoyment of those language learners. English monoglots (such as myself) can still contribute to this effort without recording phrase books or grammars, per se. Here are some ideas.

1) PL a recorded work not in English. This helps expand the LV catalogue, of course, but it also shows support to those intrepid readers who may be the only person recording in their language here at this time. Nearly all PL levels are standard, which does not require understanding the meaning of what is being said. Instead, standard PL is looking mostly for technical concerns (noise, pops, splosives, volume) checking for the correct amount of silence, and listening for repeated words or phrases.

Following along in a text can help in listening for repetitions. Many languages which do not use the Latin alphabet have a transliteration of their writing system into the familiar ABC, so if you can't read Sanskrit (and let me tell you - I can't), it's still possible to match sounds with letters. This is much easier than it seems, as I've discovered in PLing Vairagya Shatakam as read by UdaySagar.

2) Make a special effort to welcome and encourage new volunteers, especially volunteers who indicate that English is not their primary language. We're hoping they will all be readers and proof-listeners. I'm trying to imagine learning the software and workflow at Librivox in, say, Slovakian. I could do it, but it would take a huge amount of will and effort, maybe 20x as long as it would in my native English. I'd be much more likely to stick to it if I thought my efforts were being noticed and encouraged.

3) Point out Librivox to any language enthusiasts you may know. Schools, universities, and colleges often cannot host excellent initiatives due to lack of funding, but Librivox is free! You might be willing to introduce a language instructor (or lead a workshop for a whole language department) to Librivox. They, in turn, might incorporate the books into their classes for their students, or recruit students or themselves into recording projects.

Other ideas?
~ Chessie Joy