Miss Ravenel's Conversion From Secession to Loyalty

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

This one sounds to me like a wonderful and important book. Would you like to take part in a recording of it? I give you a link to an etext from arkive.org and to the article in wikipedia. The article in wikipedia gives you a link to a very comfortable etext. Just let me know if it's pd.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Ravenel%27s_Conversion_from_Secession_to_Loyalty -
and
http://www.archive.org/details/missravenelsconv00defo -
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Here's what the Wikipedia article says about it:

Miss Ravenel's Conversion from Secession to Loyalty (1867) is an American Civil War novel by veteran John William DeForest. In contrast to much of the Civil War fiction that had gone before it, Miss Ravenel's Conversion portrayed war not in the chivalric, idealized manner of Walter Scott, but as a bloody and inglorious hell. Though William Dean Howells praised DeForest as a "realist before realism was named," most critics have argued that the Romantic elements of his plot mix poorly with the otherwise admirable realism of the battle scenes. The novel is often cited as a possible influence on Stephen Crane's The Red Badge of Courage, though the evidence that Crane had read the novel remains inconclusive.

(I changed your links, Stav, they weren't working.)
Laurie Anne
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi Laury Anne,
Thank you very very much. how did you make the links work? Can you tell me in order that I'll know what to do for future posts? Also, is the etext that wikipedia links to pd?
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

I'm not sure what was wrong with your Wikipedia link, Stav. There are spaces in the title, so it might not have copied correctly. I just copied and pasted what was in my browser window when I pulled up the page and (possibly by luck!) it worked. The Archive link was to the DjVu text. I am not sure why it wasn't working either; I simply linked the main Archive page.

The text linked in the Wikipedia article is much, much easier to read from than the Archive text. As far as I can tell it's OK to use. It's from the University of Indiana, and I think the university library digital editions are usually OK.
indiana.edu book link

If someone starts the project, he/she could always email the university to be sure... but I expect it's fine.

I can tell just from the first sentence that it's a very different presentation of the Civil War than the diary I am reading. :)
IT was shortly after the capitulation of loyal Fort Sumter to rebellious South Carolina that Mr. Edward Colburne of New Boston made the acquaintance of Miss Lillie Ravenel of New Orleans.
Laurie Anne
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

We should consider this suggestion again. Today, an etext of this book was releaced to project gunenberg. It is a wonderful novel. I still think this, after more than 3 years. Here is a link to the etext:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/41355
Stav.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Last call for this one. Anyone interested?
Scurfield

Post by Scurfield »

I was just researching this Civil War era novel (published 1867), and was hopeful that it had been recorded by LibiVox. I think this is an important book, and would be a good addition to the LibiVox collection.
Taken from Wikipedia, the following is a bit about this book:
"As a captain of the Twelfth Connecticut Volunteers, De Forest (the author) had seen action in the Civil War in Louisiana in 1862 and in the Shenendoah Valley campaign in 1864 before being discharged for health problems. He published Miss Ravenel's Conversion from Secession to Loyalty in 1867 as a critique of slaveholding Southern society. In contrast to much of the Civil War fiction that had gone before it, Miss Ravenel's Conversion portrayed war not in the chivalric, idealized manner of Walter Scott, but as a bloody and inglorious hell. Though William Dean Howells praised DeForest as a "realist before realism was named",[citation needed] most critics[who?] have argued that the Romantic elements of his plot mix poorly with the otherwise admirable realism of the battle scenes."