Charlotte Mason...

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Jennifer Bogart

Post by Jennifer Bogart » March 18th, 2009, 8:29 pm

Home Education Series? I know there are homeschoolers around here ;).
http://www.amblesideonline.org/CM/toc.html
or
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Author:Charlotte_Marie_Mason

? :9:

Jordan

Post by Jordan » April 29th, 2009, 4:24 am

Hi Jennifer, Charlotte Mason's books would be a great idea. My mum is currently homeschooling my siblings, and has been encouraging me to work on getting Charlotte Mason up on LV. At the moment though, I'm still fairly new at this, and really not game to take them on as a solo project, though I am considering starting a group project when I've got a little more time on my hands. Do you think you could rally some homeschoolers who might be interested in reading and willing to contribute? I'm asking my mum to do the same, but she would like me to start the project first. I'm just interested to see how many people would be interested in volunteering, because I'm not too sure how much work these things require.

msjodi777

Post by msjodi777 » August 20th, 2009, 8:12 am

Now here is a good idea... I can PL for something like this, and depending on how long it takes to get going would be willing to read a chapter or two... I have told several of my h/s and teaching friends about LibriVox since I joined (at the beginning of the month)... and have been telling just about everyone I know about it...

After I get a new mic I am going to find something that would be a lot of fun for my son to read... he's 20 (on 9/14) and has expressed interest in "doing voice recording" as a profession... hmmmm had forgotten that... this would be great practice for him to do that... hmmm.... :wink:
<><

Jennifer Bogart

Post by Jennifer Bogart » September 15th, 2009, 7:11 am

Thanks for your interest :). My DH set up a recording room for me, and we bought a mic, but I have absolutely NO time to figure out how to record without a baby on my knee! Ehm, and it's hard to keep her quiet! Sorry I can't chip in on this one :(.

msjodi777

Post by msjodi777 » September 15th, 2009, 8:10 am

Ok, I checked the Ambleside link, and note that CM died in 1923, so I am not sure about the copyright laws on this... does anyone know if she is on gutenberg.org? Hold on let me check... nope, she's not there... if someone could find a site where she is listed with full works, that are out of copyright, we might be able to get this going, but I had to give up my dsl connection and go back to dial-up, so my connection is way to slow to do the research... sorry guys... I will look around and see if I come across anything, but until I can get the dsl back again, it will be slow going for me... :cry:
<><

padraigo

Post by padraigo » September 15th, 2009, 10:38 am

Hi,

Anything published before 1923 is public domain in the US, so as long as we're not talking about a book published in the year of her death, or published posthumously then it should be OK, as long as you can find an original copy of her work.

The Guteberg project would then be easily able to get a copyright clearance for the book, given a scan of the frontispiece (where the publication date is displayed).

The problem with a modern edition of her books would be if they contain extra material which might be under new copyright by the publisher.

The original text will always be public domain, you just have to be able to show that you are reading the original text, without any later modifications.

Did you check to see if archive.org or Google books have an online copy of any of her books ?

All the best,

Padraig

msjodi777

Post by msjodi777 » September 15th, 2009, 12:10 pm

padraigo wrote:Hi,

Anything published before 1923 is public domain in the US, so as long as we're not talking about a book published in the year of her death, or published posthumously then it should be OK, as long as you can find an original copy of her work.
That's what I thought, but didn't want to post it because I just wasn't sure... I am not sure exactly when she published her book, but I will keep looking to see what I can find out...
The original text will always be public domain, you just have to be able to show that you are reading the original text, without any later modifications.

Did you check to see if archive.org or Google books have an online copy of any of her books ?

All the best,

Padraig
Nope, haven't looked at anything yet... will keep on looking... I'm going to go look at archive.org and see what they have... but as I said, my dial up connection is very slow, so it takes starting the search, then going for a drink while it searches... sometimes it has found something by the time I get back, sometimes, I get to drink the drink first :?
<><

msjodi777

Post by msjodi777 » September 15th, 2009, 12:22 pm

Ok, at this link:
http://www.archive.org/details/homeeducationser01masouoft

this is what I found...
Author: Mason, Charlotte M
Volume: 1
Subject: Family; Education
Publisher: London, Paul
Possible copyright status: NOT_IN_COPYRIGHT
Language: English
Call number: AET-9595
Digitizing sponsor: MSN
Book contributor: Robarts - University of Toronto
Collection: toronto
You can choose to read from the digital book, online, read from or d/l the pdf of the digital book, or read (download) the plain text... so yes, it is out of copyright, and yes, it is available online so that we could get it read and put into the catalog... just takes doing.
<><

russiandoll

Post by russiandoll » September 16th, 2009, 2:02 am

msjodi777 wrote:... or read (download) the plain text...
Just a word of warning: the text version is likely to be an uncorrected machine conversion of the scan, and they are often plagued by 'misread' letters and punctuation marks (though some are worse than others, depending on the clarity of the original typeface and of the scan). You'll probably find it better to read from, or at least refer to, one of the scanned formats.
English is the lingua franca par excellence

msjodi777

Post by msjodi777 » September 16th, 2009, 7:12 am

russiandoll wrote:
msjodi777 wrote:... or read (download) the plain text...
Just a word of warning: the text version is likely to be an uncorrected machine conversion of the scan, and they are often plagued by 'misread' letters and punctuation marks (though some are worse than others, depending on the clarity of the original typeface and of the scan). You'll probably find it better to read from, or at least refer to, one of the scanned formats.
You are right with this one... I used to run into that a LOT with gutenberg.org back in the days before they were putting things into html, and cleaning things up a bit... and looking at the digital texts, I can see how that might end up being a problem... good point to ponder... good thing this is still in the planning stage... also, this book is only for those up to either 9 years old or 9th grade... I don't remember which, so we would also have to find the other books in the series to be able to get the kids all the way thru high school... at least it is a start, and we know what we are dealing with... it might also encourage others to start with some of the others... but who can tell about that sort of thing? :?
<><

Heather Dalton

Post by Heather Dalton » October 5th, 2009, 9:45 am

I am very interested in participating in this. I have several links to the text, but I'm new here, so I'm not sure where to start. I'd like very much to read, and anything else necessary. Let me know what to do.
Thanks

Jordan

Post by Jordan » October 6th, 2009, 1:52 am

All six volumes appear to be up online here:

http://amblesideonline.org/CM/toc.html
"Truth, of course, must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for we have made fiction to suit ourselves." - G. K. Chesterton

Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 » June 28th, 2015, 11:40 am

I am posting on this thread in the hopes that we may be able to do some of these some day...

RuthieG

Post by RuthieG » June 28th, 2015, 11:04 pm

I would point out that copyright is claimed on the editions posted above by Jordan:
This edition of the Charlotte Mason Series, typed by Ambleside Online volunteers, is copyrighted to Ambleside Online, and may not be published or re-posted elsewhere.
Those volumes available online and definitely PD are included on the Ambleside page on the Wiki.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding

Lilymarie

Post by Lilymarie » July 4th, 2016, 7:32 pm

So, are we able to record them? I would love to help do them if we can! I am a 7 year homeschooler. :)
-Lily Marie
Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; His love endures forever.
Psalm 118:1 :)