Book suggestions in languages other than English

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Kelly.W

Post by Kelly.W »

Hello!
I was just wondering whether this has been done in Polish yet? Could be quite fun, but have no idea where to start...
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Kelly.W wrote:Hello!
I was just wondering whether this has been done in Polish yet? Could be quite fun, but have no idea where to start...
To make a thread for discussion about possible Polish books to record, click the New Topic button here, and give your post a subject like "Polish/Polski: Discussion for Polish-speaking readers."

There are a couple of Polish readers here, I believe. There is also a book that appears to have a section available (11): Sklepy cynamonowe by Bruno Schulz.

Also: this appears to need proof-listening: [Polish]Moralnosc Pani Dulskiej by Gabriela Zapolska.

Both those projects appear to have suffered some bad delays, and I am sure any help to get them into the catalogue would be welcomed with open arms.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
prestonwatson

Post by prestonwatson »

Hi Ezwa,
It's a great help from you to the people who speak other language. Now onwards they can easily get the suggestions in their own language. You have done a great job. The people who don't understand English find it hard to understand the suggestions. You have made their work simpler. Cheers.
composr

Post by composr »

While I realise I am already starting to contribute small portions of larger works, in the hopes of working up to some full works and contributing to my favourite languages, I at least would like to list some Japanese texts that either I or many others could undertake in the near future.

For starters, there's the list of immensely timeless and classic literature by Akutagawa Ryunosuke:

http://www.aozora.gr.jp/index_pages/person879.html#sakuhin_list_1

And it would fantastic to start with something like "Jigokuhen" (Hell Screen):

http://www.aozora.gr.jp/cards/000879/files/61_15130.html

Such a good, scary story :) Very Akutagawa. He is depressing, but he writes so well!

Anyways, just my thoughts, and I wanted to keep them out there, and posting in a thread is the easiest way to do it :)
Toskana

Post by Toskana »

Hello,

my name is Andreas and I would be interested in producing one or more out of the following list in German (preferably) or English:

Wilde, Oscar: Tales
Ringelnatz, Joachim: Poems
Morgenstern, Christian: Palmström
Busch, Wilhelm: Poems
Forster, Edward Morgan: Short Stories
Walser, Robert: Jakob von Gunten
Walser, Robert: Der Gehülfe
Dumas, Alexandre: The Count of Monte Cristo
Hölderlin, Friedrich: Werke (Selection)
Wilamowitz-Moellendorf, Ulrich von: Platon (Biography)
Platen, August von: Poems
Petronius: Satiricon

Whoever may be interested to read is welcome to join ! :!:
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Hi ezwa

I've started a thread for Danish here: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23446&highlight=dansker. It's called "Nogle danskere her?" So far noone replied, but it might happen one day, who knows!
:wink:
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

I see I haven't been checking this thread for ages.

Nadine, I saw your post elsewhere mentioning the new Danish books suggestions' thread. It's been added in the first post.
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
wehan

Post by wehan »

Hi, I would like to ask you, whether it´s possible to record the translations of books originally written f.e. in French or English? The date of translation also has to be under 1923 or not? I´m interested in Slovak. :P thanks
Cori

Post by Cori »

Yes, translations are very welcome, as long as both the original AND the translation are in the public domain.

For US copyright, that does mean both were published before 1923. For those of us in places other than the US, it also means that both the author AND the translator died more than a certain number of years ago (in Europe, it's 70 years, so only authors & translators who died before 1940.)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
wehan

Post by wehan »

I have started the recording of "Moje Deti" written by Elena-Maróthy Šoltésová, it is very nice book about the lifes of her two children, very rare in slovak but also in world literature. But I´m not sure about the introduction - should it be in the languge of the recording or in english for better identification? of both? Thanks for reply :)
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

It should be in the same language as the book.
I don't know if there is anything in Slovak yet?
Nadine

wehan

Post by wehan »

I was trying to find someone from Slovakia among users, but the list was so long :) So I´m not sure. Thanks for your reply. I think there won´t be any problem with translation of the introduction.
I was browsing throughout the webpage and its manuals about recording, but... Can I send only some parts of the book or it´s better to send it when it is finished?
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Usually people upload their parts as they record them. You need to post a "new topic" in the New projects launch pad, and wait for an MC to come and help you. You will be your own book coordinator, and for this reason we usually recommend that you try and record a couple of sections of collaborative works (like here for instance: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23921 which is multilingual poetry, so you can even do i t in Slovak). It is not a strict requirement, but it will help you understand the process and you will be much more efficient when you start. Have you posted a test recording yet?
Nadine

wehan

Post by wehan »

No, I haven´t. I have recorded the introduction to "Moje deti" but now, I need at least two-week break, because of the school. after that I will find the way how to post at least the test recording :D
thanks for your advice, I will look at it ;)
whoknows

Post by whoknows »

And i realised that there are no books in Hindi. 16 Urdu books (which is close) but no Hindi! How can i start books in Hindi please?