Book suggestions in languages other than English

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello Rin san,

Excuse me. I'm not the position to say OK.
My another advice is to read something short in English to learn about LibriVox System.
How about a weekly poetry ?

You need to learn about PL, BC, MC, ID3 tags etc. These are common to any language.

Cheers,
Masa
smijen

Post by smijen »

RintheGreat wrote:Hello,

I would like to suggest another Vietnamese work: Bình Ngô Đại Cáo
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%ACnh_Ng%C3%B4_%C4%91%E1%BA%A1i_c%C3%A1o )
This edict-like announcement was written in 1428. Therefore it is definitely in the public domain.
http://vi.wikisource.org/wiki/B%C3%ACnh_Ng%C3%B4_%C4%91%E1%BA%A1i_c%C3%A1o_(Ng%C3%B4_T%E1%BA%A5t_T%E1%BB%91_d%E1%BB%8Bch)

Another question is about the work Gió Đầu Mùa from Thạch Lam (already posted in my first post). According to the information provided here: http://vi.wikisource.org/wiki/T%C3%A1c_gia:Th%E1%BA%A1ch_Lam , the work is also in public domain of Viet Nam as well as the United States because its author had died before 1948 and there is no publishment of it in the US.
Does the information turns the green light on for this book?
Hi Rin,
If you haven't already, read the info in our wiki here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Copyright_and_Public_Domain#Determining_Public_Domain_Status

We have had trouble using Wikisource in the past. Not all of their material is public domain (even when they claim it is). It's always safest to go through Project Gutenberg, as they have a rigorous copyright checking process. Archive.org is reasonably safe as well because you can see the scan of the original material and know that you are reading from the source.

The problem with a lot of other sites is that they revise, edit, or update the original, and then it is no longer public domain.

I'd suggest looking around archive.org or maybe some university libraries to see if you can find a scan of the original (or at least a scan clearly showing a pre-1922 publication date).
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
Cori

Post by Cori »

I think it would be worth trying to clear that text through Project Gutenberg, Rin. As far as I can see, it was in the Vietnamese public domain in 1996 when the Berne Convention restored copyright to various works. (Interpreted from the footnotes on this flowchart. I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.) So I think there's a good chance it would be acceptable, as long as there's some evidence that the text hasn't been changed in being typed in (which depending on the amount of change, could create a new copyright.)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

Hello! I am looking for a Russian speaking volunteer to help with a pronunciation guide for a dramatic reading I'm about to launch of Crime and Punishment. The project will be in English, but I would really like to make such a resource available to allow for consistent name pronunciation.

I've prepared a rather long list, but if you feel it's too long I can try to pare it down to the names that occur most frequently. Basically, you would just need to record a list of names. I also apologize that I only have the names in the Latin alphabet, which I know is not ideal. :oops:

I'm also not sure whether this is the correct forum to post in, so let me know if someone has another suggestion!

Thanks in advance if you'd like to help. :)
Mary

I'll be away from LV until mid January.
Dramatic reading: Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment
In italiano: Rime
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

I'll be happy to help.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

tovarisch wrote:I'll be happy to help.
Thanks so much! I'm alphabetizing the list right now, then I'll send you a PM. :)
Mary

I'll be away from LV until mid January.
Dramatic reading: Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment
In italiano: Rime
theaca

Post by theaca »

HI, I found Swedish amongst languages but almost no Swedish work. I thought it would've been nice to try find something that's not just translated into Swedish? I'm sure there is some.
Although, I'd love to collaborate in one of those multilingual HC andersen collections. Id' love to do the snow queen... but it's so long!
Maybe a collection of the nordic mythology or Vikings would be nice in Swedish? I bet there's a great audience for that?
Anyway, I just joined today so I don't know anything and can't start anything by myself, so I just suggest.
A SWEDISH GIRL
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hallo and welcome to Librivox!

Have I got the project for you! :wink: Kathrine has just started a collection with scandinavian fairy tales where you can choose and submit your own favourite fairy tale - also in Swedish. The thread is here
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=57748
and Kathrine has put together some text suggestions.

I hope you'll find something there that interests you. And later, when you are more comfortable recording, you could even do your own solo... :wink:

Have fun on here!
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Apneia

Post by Apneia »

Hej theaca, I'll gladly listen to HC Andersen in Swedish, there's plenty sagor och berättelser to be found here http://runeberg.org/hcasob/ (del 1 and del 2)

I'm sure you can find the Snow Queen in there! The project for Scandinavian Fairy Tales is here viewtopic.php?f=60&t=57748

In any case: yes, there is an audience for readings in Swedish! Perhaps a small audience, but keen and growing :)
smijen

Post by smijen »

Would anyone like to read French children's stories? My daughter is in French Immersion and wants to keep up her French over the summer. We are looking at this book: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/30117 but please feel free to suggest others. We could BC and DPL, or if a native French speaker would like to BC, we could just DPL.

Quelqu'un voudrait lire les livres pour enfants? Si vous avez une idee pour un projet, ma fille et je serais heureux de DPL (+/- BC).
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
sripsdas

Post by sripsdas »

If there's any project in bengali do let me know. :)
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

I'm reading Simon Winchester's "Pacific: the ocean of the future" in which he says: [Stefan Zweig's] accounts of Balboa and of Magellan offered him a "structural vade mecum", a way to write about this vast subject. These were in "Sternstunden" a collection of historical essays published in 1927. "Ten ruminative essays, each one turned to perfection, about what Zweig considered to be seminal moments in the tide of human experience....a tumbling melange of a book, quite charming and, even if perhaps lacking in academic rigor, one that quite transfixed me."

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sternstunden_der_Menschheit

http://gutenberg.spiegel.de/buch/sternstunden-der-menschheit-6863/1

I haven't been able to find it in the Librivox catalog.

On archive.org there is a 1955 re-publication of an English translation first published in 1940:

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.527575

Stefan Zweig died in 1942. His translators in 1944 and 1972 (so the English version only PD in the US, as far as I can tell).

I'll post this in both Book Suggestions forums - English and Other Languages.

Best,

Barbara
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

As discussed in the other thread, the German version is PD in Europe (life+70) and other death-date countries, but the English version is not PD in the USA or Life+ countries. So a European can record the German version for Legamus.eu but not for LibriVox, and the English version is not do-able anywhere.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Keti

Post by Keti »

Hello, people!

I am a newbie here. 8-)

When I found this site, I noticed that there are no books in Serbian language (Eastern Europe, similar to Russian). This was the main language in Yugoslavia. If you desire, I can record you some Serbian classics, just let me now! I would really like to contribute in that way!

Cheers!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Hi and welcome to librivox!

It would be great if you could record in serbian :D just make sure to check the copyright status with us before getting started, so that we can make sure the text is ok for librivox. Generally, all books that were published before 1922 and whose author is dead for 70 years are fine :) let us know if you have any questions!

Thank you!
Carolin