Book suggestions in languages other than English

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

You'd be very welcome to record books in Vietnamese. They would still need to be published prior to 1923 to comply with USA law. Librivox recordings are stored in the USA and that's why we need to follow their law as well as those of our own countries.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
vananhnguyen

Post by vananhnguyen »

Darvinia wrote:You'd be very welcome to record books in Vietnamese. They would still need to be published prior to 1923 to comply with USA law. Librivox recordings are stored in the USA and that's why we need to follow their law as well as those of our own countries.
Can you show me how to start a new project? I don't know where to begin. Thank you.
Cori

Post by Cori »

A good place to start would be with something short. A poem or short story maybe? We have a collection for these in any language: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=51051 Someone used this book as a source last year. http://goo.gl/kdyVS9 It's old enough to be public domain now, but I don't know if it has any poems you like. :D

Then look through the instructions in that post for what to say at the beginning and end. (We have a special piece of text that goes on all our recordings. Of course it would be great if you could translate it because it would sound funny in English when you're reading Vietnamese.) There is also information on how to name your file, upload it, and post in the thread about it.

But please do ask if you have questions! There's a lot to learn the first time, but it gets much much easier after that. :lol:
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Here is the information that is sent to new volunteers now:

viewtopic.php?p=668171#p668171

If you read through that and follow the links, and read some more it will provide everything you need to get started. The 1-Minute test (instructions in the link above) is very important as a first step to be sure that your tech specs meet our requirements. It isn't an audition. :)

When that is done we suggest you record a couple of short pieces in a group project to gain experience. If after all that, you still have questions please feel free to ask! Our help forum at:

viewforum.php?f=23

is the best place as many people will see it.

ETA: Cori beat me to it! :)
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
Vespero

Post by Vespero »

I want to get some momentum going on either Macbeth or Hamlet in Esperanto (Dramatic Reading). Should I start a new thread, or get the discussion going in this one?
"Reading by Zachary Whitworth"
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Nice idea but ..... I think you would have trouble finding enough readers here to do it any way other than as a Solo . It is very difficult to get dramas done in anything but English. So unless you have a secret source of readers , or are prepared for it to take years or maybe decades I'd think hard about it.

Anne
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi there, and welcome!

There are many books of all sizes in Esperanto on gutenberg.org, and I have found both Macbeth and Hamlet amongst them, so this is the good news - we can record them for LV!

However, I agree with Anne that it would be very difficult to find enough readers for such a project. Right now, I am aware of only 2 other speakers of Esperanto that are active on the forums. Hamlet has about 30 roles, most of them male, so... A project like this would take you years, and it can be very frustrating to watch nothing going on.

We have a fair amount of German speakers here, but even so, I would not attempt any Shakespeare there...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
glennobrien

Post by glennobrien »

Availle wrote:There are many books of all sizes in Esperanto on gutenberg.org, and I have found both Macbeth and Hamlet amongst them, so this is the good news - we can record them for LV!

However, I agree with Anne that it would be very difficult to find enough readers for such a project. Right now, I am aware of only two other speakers of Esperanto that are active on the forums. Hamlet has about 30 roles, most of them male, so... A project like this would take you years, and it can be very frustrating to watch nothing going on.

We have a fair amount of German speakers here, but even so, I would not attempt any Shakespeare there...
Thanks. The post on page 9 has now been updated to include the Esperanto translations of Hamlet and Macbeth from Gutenberg.
Vespero

Post by Vespero »

Well, I'd like to increase the number of Esperanto readers around here. I'll do some probing, see if I can recruit some people, get this thing organized.

I know a few places to ask around.
"Reading by Zachary Whitworth"
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Saluton Vespero san,

Mi estas preta.

Hello Vespero san,

I'm ready.

G^is la.
Masa
RintheGreat

Post by RintheGreat »

Hi everyone,
I'm Hieu from Vietnam and I'm a new member.
It would be great if we could open a new thread for Vietnamese books. My first two suggestions are:
Kho Tàng Truyện Cổ Tích Việt Nam (1957) (a collection of Vietnamese fairy and folk tales) - Nguyễn Đổng Chi - NXB Văn Học (Van Hoc Publisher)
http://www.sachhayonline.com/tua-sach/kho-tang-truyen-co-tich-viet-nam/loi-dan/1564
Gió Đầu Mùa (1937) (short stories collection) - Thạch Lam (1910 - 1942)
http://maxreading.com/sach-hay/truyen-ngan-thach-lam
If it's possible I would also raise my hand to be a volunteer reader.
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Hello Hieu and welcome!
Just judging by the dates in the two books you list I doubt they'd be public domain in the USA. We need to conform to the laws in the USA as that is where our files are stored. As a general rule of thumb the work needs to be published in 1922 or earlier. Anything published later than that needs to be cleared by Project Gutenberg for our purposes.

Books published in 1957 and 1937 are almost certainly still under copyright.

(I edited your post to make the links clickable. A space was needed between your colour code and the first and last letters of the link.)

You'd be most welcome as a reader. The first step is to record your 1-Minute test as instructed in your welcome email. It isn't an audition, just a set-up and technical check.
Bev

RintheGreat

Post by RintheGreat »

Hello,

I would like to suggest another Vietnamese work: Bình Ngô Đại Cáo
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%ACnh_Ng%C3%B4_%C4%91%E1%BA%A1i_c%C3%A1o )
This edict-like announcement was written in 1428. Therefore it is definitely in the public domain.
http://vi.wikisource.org/wiki/B%C3%ACnh_Ng%C3%B4_%C4%91%E1%BA%A1i_c%C3%A1o_(Ng%C3%B4_T%E1%BA%A5t_T%E1%BB%91_d%E1%BB%8Bch)

Another question is about the work Gió Đầu Mùa from Thạch Lam (already posted in my first post). According to the information provided here: http://vi.wikisource.org/wiki/T%C3%A1c_gia:Th%E1%BA%A1ch_Lam , the work is also in public domain of Viet Nam as well as the United States because its author had died before 1948 and there is no publishment of it in the US.
Does the information turns the green light on for this book?
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello Rin san,

Welcome to LibriVox.
RintheGreat wrote:the work is also in public domain of Viet Nam as well as the United States because its author had died before 1948 and there is no publishment of it in the US.
Does the information turns the green light on for this book?
No. It is not green at LibriVox. It doesn't fulfill LibriVox's requirement.
As it's in public domain, you can record it and upload it to archive.org by yourself.
It's not so difficult.

Cheers,
Masa
RintheGreat

Post by RintheGreat »

Hi ekzemplaro,

the first one mentioned (Bình Ngô Đại Cáo by Nguyễn Trãi) would be OK, doesn't it?