Idea for a Universal History... by Kant

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Mittee

Post by Mittee »

The full name is : Idea for a Universal History from a Cosmopolitan Point of View, by Immanual Kant.

I am a final year philosophy student in Sydney, Australia. Kant is among my favorites, and since this essay must be out of copyright I am wondering if there is someone who could tell me if I would be allowed to record this.

It is a short piece, less than a hundred pages.
lezer

Post by lezer »

Hi Mittee,

To start off with: Welcome to Librivox!

Well, the main thing to check for you, to see if you could record the text for the Librivox catalog, is whether it is in the public domain.

All our texts have to be in the public domain in the US (where the Librivox catalog is stationed) as well as in the country you are recording in. So if you are planning to read the original text by Kant that should be fine. But it also holds for translations: so basically, the translation should be published before 1923.

When you find such a public domain translation, then you are very welcome to record it for Librivox. I hope you do!

Regards,
Anna

PS
To see more about public domain etc, try here: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=881 and http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/CopyrightAndPublicDomain

To learn more about doing the actual recording: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/NewbieGuideToRecording

I'll move this thread to Book Suggestions for now - once you are all ready to start the work as a solo of your own, you can launch it in the Launch Pad, for more information see: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13513
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Hi Mittee, if you can find a public domain text online, post it here for the PD gurus to check it out then off to recording. We do ask that new readers do a few shorter pieces before embarking on a solo.

If you read the link Lezer posted for the newbie guide, there is a short test piece with instructions there. We like to see volunteers post a sample (At the very least) before jumping in with both feet. This is NOT an audition but a test to correct any technical issues that may be present.

And most of all - HAVE FUN!

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
d.e.wittkower

Post by d.e.wittkower »

Idea for a Universal History from a Cosmopolitan Point of View is Lewis White Beck's 1963 translation of Idee zu einer allgemeinen Geschichte in weltbürgerlicher Absicht. This translation *may* have an expired copyright, but I'm not sure. It is published on marxists.org and wikisource, but this is no guarantee.

The only clearly public domain source is Hastie's 1891 translation, where the essay is included as chapter 1 of Kant's Principles of Politics, titled therein as "The Natural Principle of the Political Order Considered In Connection With the Idea of a Universal Cosmopolitical History."

Hastie's translations are a bit antiquated, but serviceable. You can find it here:

http://oll.libertyfund.org/?option=com_staticxt&staticfile=show.php%3Ftitle=358&chapter=56078&layout=html&Itemid=27

I'm glad to see yet another Kant fan around! I would suggest, though, that you start out recording a poem or short story before doing this work. It's much easier to get used to the recording process on a very short work.

Let me know if I can help!
Mittee

Post by Mittee »

Hi guys,

thanks for making me feel welcome and thanks for the helpful info.

I will record a "test piece" as Anna suggested before I record the Kant piece.

So, what should I do now? Where should I go to get info on this test piece. The Hastie tanslation that one of you guys gave me the link to seems acceptable. How do I put a hold on this Kant work so that no one else can do it before I finish it?

I will get it done within a week.

Thanks again guys, nice to be welcomed into the fold.

Mittee
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Mittee wrote:Hi guys,

thanks for making me feel welcome and thanks for the helpful info.

I will record a "test piece" as Anna suggested before I record the Kant piece.

So, what should I do now? Where should I go to get info on this test piece.
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/NewbieGuideToRecording
Mittee wrote: How do I put a hold on this Kant work so that no one else can do it before I finish it?
You don't. We accept multiple versions of the same piece!

Have fun!

Esther
Mittee

Post by Mittee »

Hi,

I uploaded a test piece as was suggested. It is the first section of the essay I am doing (Kant's Universal History . . . . . ).

Could someone tell me exactly what I need to say in the librivox disclaimer.

Also, if the quality is not acceptable I can try again.

Thanks, Mittee
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Mittee,

Can you please post the link to the file you uploaded?

As far as the librivox disclaimer is concerned, you will find it in the solo template which you should post as a new thread in New Projects Launch Pad forum in order to start a solo project. Please see the thread Want to Start a Solo Recording? at the top of that forum for more information and a link to the template.

Thanks!
Jo
Jo
Mittee

Post by Mittee »

Dear Jo,

I can't find the link of the file that I uploaded. Do you know where I can get it? I followed the instructions for how to upload a file through the Librivox upload program.

Mittee
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Mittee what did you name your file and what folder did you send it to? (MC folder or XX)

Esther
tkelly1991

Post by tkelly1991 »

My name is Tim and I'm new to LibriVox. I am a graduate student focusing on legal and political philosophy. I see this thread appears to have gone dead. I am interested in recording this text. It is quite brief even as a whole, but I would be happy to record the first section of it as a test first. Is there anything else administrative I would need to do before doing so, or can I just get to recording?

Best,
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

tkelly1991 wrote: May 8th, 2019, 8:44 am My name is Tim and I'm new to LibriVox. I am a graduate student focusing on legal and political philosophy. I see this thread appears to have gone dead. I am interested in recording this text. It is quite brief even as a whole, but I would be happy to record the first section of it as a test first. Is there anything else administrative I would need to do before doing so, or can I just get to recording?

Best,
Follow the directions given in your welcome email about how to make a one-minute test and post it for feedback. You can use this text for your test, or you can use the Peter Piper text given in the wiki. It doesn't matter what text you use for your test, because it's not your reading that's being tested. :wink: It's just your tech settings and whatnot. Like a sound check.

Edit: Here is the direct link: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Don't use much more than 1 minute for the technical test - that's all we need. There are at least 2 good reasons for this. To check it needs to be downloaded to someone's computer, so the shorter the better and for your sake, a shorter upload is quicker especially if it needs adjusting and re-uploading.

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This particular work (THE NATURAL PRINCIPLE OF THE POLITICAL ORDER considered in connection with THE IDEA OF A UNIVERSAL COSMOPOLITICAL HISTORY) is about 6200 words, so it would fit nicely in the Short Nonfiction Collection. Here's the current one: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=74648

After your 1-minute test is OK, you can follow the instructions in the first post of the above linked thread and submit the file there. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
tkelly1991

Post by tkelly1991 »

Thanks, everyone, for all the guidance!

I still need to order all the hardware, but hopefully I'll be able to post the test recording within the next two weeks!

Best,

Tim Kelly