Some Books that Aren't in the Public Domain (and why)

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » July 31st, 2018, 12:44 pm

SiaBoBia wrote:
July 31st, 2018, 12:22 pm
How do I find out information about C.S. Lewis' works? I can't figure out if his books are allowed to be recorded or if they've already been recorded. lol :roll: I'm lost!
Not PD. "Spirits in Bondage" - a book of poetry - is the only work of his published in 1922 or earlier. It's recorded here on LV. The rest will be PD 95 full years after publication.

SiaBoBia

Post by SiaBoBia » August 2nd, 2018, 12:54 am

Ok. So what you're saying is I just gotta hang tight for 32 more years. :shock: Gotcha. lol. Thanks for the help! :lol:

GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria » September 11th, 2018, 3:17 am

Long time without nagging legal inquiries.... (Sorry, Cori and Tricia...) :oops:
While still only listening I keep finding new books that I would like to put in "suggestions" . It will probably wane as soon as I get back to my own project and stop meddling with others' (hopefully next week)... :roll:
So the question is: suppose a book was published early enough to be PD in the US, but then was reprinted much later. Will it still be eligible for recording (from the first edition)? Or is it just a "technical" question that is left for Gutenberg's people to decide - if they publish the text with no special restrictions - then it's PD?
Thanks!
"When eating an elephant, take one bite at a time."

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » September 11th, 2018, 5:49 am

The first edition (the one published before 1923) would be fine to use.
Laurie Anne