Some Books that Aren't in the Public Domain (and why)

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

SiaBoBia wrote: July 31st, 2018, 12:22 pm How do I find out information about C.S. Lewis' works? I can't figure out if his books are allowed to be recorded or if they've already been recorded. lol :roll: I'm lost!
Not PD. "Spirits in Bondage" - a book of poetry - is the only work of his published in 1922 or earlier. It's recorded here on LV. The rest will be PD 95 full years after publication.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
SiaBoBia

Post by SiaBoBia »

Ok. So what you're saying is I just gotta hang tight for 32 more years. :shock: Gotcha. lol. Thanks for the help! :lol:
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

Long time without nagging legal inquiries.... (Sorry, Cori and Tricia...) :oops:
While still only listening I keep finding new books that I would like to put in "suggestions" . It will probably wane as soon as I get back to my own project and stop meddling with others' (hopefully next week)... :roll:
So the question is: suppose a book was published early enough to be PD in the US, but then was reprinted much later. Will it still be eligible for recording (from the first edition)? Or is it just a "technical" question that is left for Gutenberg's people to decide - if they publish the text with no special restrictions - then it's PD?
Thanks!
"When eating an elephant, take one bite at a time."
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

The first edition (the one published before 1923) would be fine to use.
Laurie Anne
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Just checking in to make sure this is correct- can I do Emily of New Moon once the New Year 2019 hits?
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You can do anything that was published in 1923 as has been stated before. So can anyone else that wants to including Emily :D . It's not a case of first in best dressed,

Anne
JanJay

Post by JanJay »

RE: Lets get on the book that expires this year
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

Checked The Catalog: A few updates for the list.

These two are fully subscribed, and in progress.
Emily of New Moon by Lucy Maud Montgomery [SOLO] viewtopic.php?f=28&t=73081&p=1538530#p1538530
The Inimitable Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse [COLLABORATIVE] viewtopic.php?f=28&t=74642

This one has been completed.
The Prophet by Khalil Gibran https://librivox.org/search?title=prophet&author=gibran&reader=&keywords=&genre_id=0&status=all&project_type=either&recorded_language=&sort_order=alpha&search_page=1&search_form=advanced

And I don't have much on my BC plate right now so i believe I'll get this one going.
Men Like Gods by H. G. Wells
Projects that need readers
ONLY ONE CHAPTER TO GO!!!!!! Bealby
The life of Harriot Stuart
The Blind Brother[/color]
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks, but this isn't a thread to list what is and is not in progress; it's listing popular books that are still under copyright. :) The only reason some 1923 books are listed in the first post is because last year they were still copyrighted.

I'll remove them now, so as to lessen any confusion.
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

TriciaG wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 9:40 am Thanks, but this isn't a thread to list what is and is not in progress; it's listing popular books that are still under copyright. :) The only reason some 1923 books are listed in the first post is because last year they were still copyrighted.

I'll remove them now, so as to lessen any confusion.
Yup! I just did not want them to opened twice and become confusing. :D Thanks! :thumbs:
Projects that need readers
ONLY ONE CHAPTER TO GO!!!!!! Bealby
The life of Harriot Stuart
The Blind Brother[/color]
davidradio

Post by davidradio »

cowguy02 wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 9:34 am Checked The Catalog: A few updates for the list.

These two are fully subscribed, and in progress.
Emily of New Moon by Lucy Maud Montgomery [SOLO] viewtopic.php?f=28&t=73081&p=1538530#p1538530
The Inimitable Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse [COLLABORATIVE] viewtopic.php?f=28&t=74642

This one has been completed.
The Prophet by Khalil Gibran https://librivox.org/the-prophet-by-kahlil-gibran/

And I don't have much on my BC plate right now so i believe I'll get this one going.
Men Like Gods by H. G. Wells
This all think which I'm looking! Thank cowguy02 so much for your link. You really save my day! :clap:
LauBur

Post by LauBur »

I've been trying to read up a bit on copyright stuff but I still can figure out if Kevin Lynch's Image of the City is in the public domain yet?http://www.miguelangelmartinez.net/IMG/pdf/1960_Kevin_Lynch_The_Image_of_The_City_book.pdf

This version was copyrighted in 1960. Help?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

LauBur wrote: June 29th, 2019, 10:36 am I've been trying to read up a bit on copyright stuff but I still can figure out if Kevin Lynch's Image of the City is in the public domain yet?http://www.miguelangelmartinez.net/IMG/pdf/1960_Kevin_Lynch_The_Image_of_The_City_book.pdf

This version was copyrighted in 1960. Help?
A book published in 1960 will be out of copyright sometime around January 1, 2056. The person who has it on their website is breaking copyright law by making it freely available.
Sorry!
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

We came from dust and to dust we shall return before we can read some books not on PD
One book to rule them all and in the Public Domain bind them
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

I will use a new signature: One book to rule them all and in the Public Domain bind them.
One book to rule them all and in the Public Domain bind them